Describe Yourself Using Fictional Characters.

[Deleted User]DarkLordChungus (deleted user)

The other night, while at work, I decided to read a bit about Harlan Ellison. He was a prominent—and controversial—figure in the world of science fiction. Stephen King once asked Ellison to describe himself, and this is the result:

"My work is foursquare for chaos. I spend my life personally, and my work professionally, keeping the soup boiling. Gadfly is what they call you when you are no longer dangerous; I much prefer troublemaker, malcontent, desperado. I see myself as a combination of Zorro and Jiminy Cricket. My stories go out from here and raise hell. From time to time some denigrater or critic with umbrage will say of my work, 'He only wrote that to shock.' I smile and nod. Precisely."

Something that stood out to me is the combination of Jiminy Cricket and Zorro. This got me thinking: "Which two characters would I use to describe myself?"

And here we are. So, which combination of fictional characters would you use to describe yourself, dear reader?

As for myself, I'd go with Pee-wee Herman from Pee-wee's Big Adventure and Rust Cohle from True Detective.

Comments

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

Ooh. I read too much for this to be an easy one. Hmm.

I'd say I'm like Raistlin Majere in that the constant betrayals of my body have made me prone to snap viciously at people who I perceive as pitying me; like Xellos in my simple pleasures and sometimes misleading honesty; like Data in my literal-mindedness and social naivete; like Poirot in my desire for neatness (and warmth during winter); like Dairine Callahan in my straightforward, burning need for accurate knowledge; like a certain Elias in my cold practicality (and androgeny); like Lalli Hotakainen in my vaguely cat-like tendencies; and so on.

You see? I read too much. Which I suppose makes me a bit like Hermione Granger—though I suspect she spends more time in nonfiction than I do, so perhaps not. More interesting might be the two clashingest characters I could use to describe myself. Hmm....

Kiriyama Kazuo and Howell Jenkins, maybe.

• I'm like a cuddly Fred Flinstone.

• edited November 2020

Eeyore (Winnie-the-Pooh) and Marvin the Android (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

• Nacho Libre and The Little Prince.

• edited November 2020

God . No Satan. No wait ....can I just be both ?

• [Deleted User]arghdaddy (deleted user)

Wow, these are all good...same as Darren read waaaay too much to narrow it down to a couple. Spuds said Fred, but I think I'm more like a Barney. Also Dr. Strange (Marvel).

• Satan from “Paradise Lost” because my “mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”

• [Deleted User]ImajenMoon (deleted user)

Something like a fun mix of Lilu, from the Fifth Element, Hobbes from the Calvin & Hobbes cartoon strip, and Lyra from the Golden Compass/Amber Spyglass series! lol Oh, with a good dose of Lt. Uhura, Original Star Trek series, thrown in! :)

• [Deleted User]ImajenMoon (deleted user)

Oh...and I forgot to add that I'm am a Premium Member of the PMVRGFC... Yeah, I am!

*PMVRGFC= PMVines Righteous Groupie Fan Club! lol

• Meg from the Disney movie, Hercules.

• ~ Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraim's Daughter Longstocking ~
    She's a rebel who's unusual, uncivilized, vulgar, playful, kind, brazen, unpredictable and adventurous. She's not concerned about her appearance, challenges adults and doesn't want to grow up.

-and-

~ Don Quixote ~
    He's honest, unrealistically optimistic, impractically idealistic, impulsive and unpredictable. "As intelligent as he is mad, he starts out as an absurd and isolated figure and ends up as a pitiable and lovable old man."

"_" ~ wikipedia sourced
  • Are Greek mythological figures included ? Me ... Hephaestus

• Half Sherlock Holmes and half Emmett 'Doc' Brown.

• The Invisible Man. Then I can become a practicing nudist everywhere.

• edited November 2020

Following the rules strictly, I’d describe myself as a cross between Bruce Banner (Hulk’s alter ego) and Murray Burns from A Thousand Clowns.

Or, to save time... Holden Caulfield.

• My friends tell me that I am a cross between Cinderella, Belle, and Tinkerbell.

• [Deleted User]Ennea2HugU (deleted user)

I think I'm a cross between Kaylee Frye from Joss Whedon's Firefly and Luna Lovegood from J.K. Rolling's Harry Potter.

• Howard Roark, Carrie Mathison, and Lisa Simpson (wish list : Ellen Ripley, Natalie Rushman)
    @pmvines Deanna Troi, Glenn Rhee
    @cualtzin Guinan, Max Piotrowski, James Rhodes (Iron Man)
    @quixotic_life MacGyver, Annie Hall

• edited November 2020

@Designergirl 🥰 I love it!!!

edit addition ~ Also, friends and family both have referred to me as being a "real life" MacGyver at times, but more often than not I'm compared to Phoebe Buffay.

additional edit addition ~ And had to look up the others for others, but dang! You're really good at this game!! Go you!

• @Designergirl I had to look those ones up. Fair assessment

• I'd say I'm some combination of:

• Simon Tam of Firefly
    • Emily Azuma of Questionable Content
  • For me, perhaps one of the characters from the movie Office Space. Peter Gibbons, Michael Bolton (no, not the music artist), or Samir. One thing I sympathize with Samir about is people often have a hard time figuring out how to pronounce my last name. :P

• edited November 2020

Peewee Herman + Frodo + Jo from Little Women + Lucy (I love lucy) + Lassie + Jean Luc Picard

• I like the Star Trek references in this thread. :) (Deanna Troi, Guinan, Jean-Luc Picard so far - from The Next Generation, my favorite Star Trek series)

• @FlyingToaster I agree. I can imagine a subthread titled “Describe yourself using ONLY Star Trek characters.” 😊 Where do I begin?

• @cualtzin That would be difficult. :)

• Jess from New Girl, Eowyn from LOTR, Kaylee from Firefly, Leonard from BBT. Maybe a dash of Sam Winchester on my best days ;)

• edited November 2020

I really like seeing all the different responses. Apologies for indulging in Star Trek just a little more.
    @FlyingToaster I can’t resist the challenge.
    For me: Guinan (Thanks, @Designergirl), Q (when he lost his omnipotence), Barash, and Armus.
    @Designergirl: Dr. Leah Brahms, Dr. Crusher, and Worf.
    OK I’m done.

• Recently I was talking to a kid of about 13. The Big Bang Theory came up, and I asked him which character I was. He stared at me as if I was mad, and said, "Well you're Sheldon, obviously."