What do you do in the meantime? (cuddling substitutes)

Hey everyone!

I'm Jordan, and I'm a pro cuddler in the southeast Michigan area c:

I like cuddling because when you think about it, if skin to skin contact is essential for development, it must be essential throughout your entire life cycle!

I've been on hold since cases in michigan are rising so quickly, what are some substitutes you guys use while you wait for a vaccine or maybe a negative result on a Covid test?

Some things I enjoy are guided meditations, ambient noises such as library sounds on youtube (it helps when you're studying) and being under blankets and pillows to simulate a weighted blanket.

Feel free to tell us yours, and if you have pets, do tell me their names! <3

Image found on creative commons search :)

Comments

• I arranged an online cuddle session. I was sceptical, but it was a great success and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• I have three adorable kitties. I have a fat cat named Link: named after legend of Zelda and Linkin Park. I have an orange creamsicle kitty named Oliver: named after Oliver Queen the green arrow. And I have a black rag doll kitty named Dixon: named after Darryl Dixon in The Walking Dead. They are my three little archer kitties 😻 So when I’m in dire need of a cuddle, I force my love on them lol

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

When I can't cuddle, I like to curl up with a hot water bottle. Play some music, do some reading... it's good stuff.

I only have one pet. I call him Minion (because of course I do; I grew up long before those annoyingly cutesy movies ever came out and I like old-fashioned supervillains and mad scientists). When I cuddle with my minion, I don't need a hot water bottle.

It's nice.

• @FlyingToaster my precious babies 💖

@DarrenWalker picture!! I want to see your baby!!

@Sheena123: Well, okay, but I'll warn you—he's horrifying.

• @DarrenWalker lol!!! Look at the precious baby!! 😂😂

• edited November 2020

I feel compelled to post my cat. :) This photo is from earlier this year, in my house before I moved.

@Sheena123: He is pretty adorable, isn't he? Of course I'm biased, as the owner, but even when he's batting at my leg for attention or flailing about making the hoarse screeching that's a traditional expression of distress in his species, I think he's cute. Annoying! ...But cute.

I suppose this is how all pet owners manage to put up with even their pets' most obnoxious behavior: when it's your pet, you kinda love it. No matter how horrific or terrifying it may be to others.

• Watch TV. (Just finished The Queen's Gambit with my roommate.)

Smoke weed.

Cuddle with one or more among three dogs and a cat.

Watch my Bettas. Feed my Bettas.

Admire my plants.

Werk.

• @FlyingToaster oh that cat is gorgeous!! What is their name?

@DarrenWalker lol you’re exactly right! They are your adorable little baby. Unconditional love 💖❤️💖 😂😂😂

• @Sheena123 My cat's name is

Callie

@Sheena123: Well, I mean, it's conditional. If he wasn't mine I wouldn't care for him anymore (I'm not the type to look after street cats)! But he is mine, and I'm not planning on letting him leave, so. [shrug] Unconditional enough, I guess?

@FlyingToaster: Your named cat is gorgeous. Very photogenic.

• This is my little sidekick and cuddle buddy Pippi.
    She's mostly a tiny spoon (about 11 pounds / smaller than the cat), and sometimes inadvertently massages me with her cute little dream paws.

• All these pets make me happy 💖💖

• I like to have conversations with past cuddle buddies by video, phone, or text. I’m friends with several and enjoy keeping up with each other’s lives as well as discussing interesting topics.

• <3 <3 <3 i love all the replies, still learning how to use the forum lol

• Weighted blankets. We have 3 cats here, but they aren't too cuddly, at least not with me anyways. Out side of that, there's a couple people I hug at work (who as of last weekend started dating each other), but that's only Fri and Sat right now, and only for for this weekend and the following four weekends.

• If your landlord doesn't allow pets cat cafes are a nice alternative. Due to Covid most are allowing just one visitor at a time -- which is actually awesome because it's you, one volunteer and 20-ish kitties all to yourself. Best $10 you can spend.

• I find hot baths/showers with your favorite drink to be the best alternative, as well as a virtual chat with a friend.

• edited November 2020

I've recently discovered ASMR audio on YouTube and found that some of it is exceptionally satisfying.

The best are ASMRMagic and ASMR Bakery. They seem to have the highest quality audio and the most skill without having to resort to roleplay or revealing outfits. ASMRMagic for mic scratching and fuzzy mic massage; ASMR Bakery for tapping (though ASMRMagic's tascam tapping is also top notch). They both also do a myriad of different sounds, so it's fairly easy to find the types that are most enjoyable for you.

Hatomumugi ASMR has two ear blowing videos that are very good, too. Something about the structure of the sound of them makes it possible to actually feel it (when wearing headphones, not earbuds) in addition to hearing it.

I now have an ASMR playlist that I'll occasionally put on for extra relaxation during sleep. It's nice to occasionally wake to a brief, close whisper followed by mind-numbing mic massage or ear blowing that sends me right back to sleep. Probably not the highest quality sleep, but it's emotionally rejuvenating.

• @Mailleweaver oh I love asmr! I e really loved watching videos of them slicing kinetic sand. So soothing 💖💖

• edited November 2020

Ambient-mixer.com has relaxation tracks that include breathing, heartbeats, white noise, rain, and a lot more! You can make your own or listen to other people’s creations.
    I like that you can turn down the volume or mute a single element, so if I want soft rain sounds and loud heartbeat (or vice versa) I can listen to that.
    My favorite happens to be Supernatural “Sleeping Next to Dean” :) That + weighted blanket + cold room= great sleep. It’s the next best thing to cuddling, imo.

• What do I do in the meantime? Daydream about cuddling I suppose. But as far as relaxing activities, it’s listening to music. Brian Eno and Brain Food on Spotify, in a continuous loop. Also, watering my garden. What’s left of it this time of year.

• I take baths to soothe me. The bath relaxes me and I usually just fall asleep. Also, when I sleep, I pull the blankets in very close, so it feels like the blankets are cuddling me in front and behind me. (I sleep on my side). It actually feel like I am being cuddle, while I sleep.

• I find compassionate self touch is helpful, as well as getting massages.

• I have a fluffy kitty that lives on my patio in a little shelter. I like to scoop her up and cuddle with her until she's a purr machine.

• I have a large bear who I also talk to. Living on your own, it's good to feel like there's someone to listen. I've also got s weighted blanket and a steam box that I like to sit in with my colour changing lights and relax.
    I'm looking into getting one of those reborn dolls as I'm 33 and even though I don't want children (I only want to borrow!) the biology is still there. Luckily one of my friends has a new born and in her bubble so I can hold the baby.
    Something for me to look forward to this Friday. 🥰

• I keep myself entertained with projects mostly, crocheting, embroidery, playing with my 3d printer etc...