Nighttime Checkins

edited May 2020 in General

So! I know that I already started another thread about reading with people. Since then I've learned a few things about how this is going for me.
I really really really love reading and chatting with other women (yes I know I'm queer. I also live in Brooklyn where it's not uncommon for people to say "today my pronouns are she" and change their mind another day.. god I love my city.)
I digressed.
I really really really love calling someone else who is on here cause.. they're working, or cause they want to be held by some dude, like I think I do sometimes.. calling at the end of the night, talking about our days, taking turns reading a story to each other, and getting to know a bit more about each other.. just through that.
Shoutout Maria, I don't remember your handle.
I am enjoying doing this with men too.. it's all really touching seeing how so many people just want a friend and to feel cozy.
But I'm finding that reading with femme folk, who want to have friendships like this, is incredibly rich, and something I've neglected for a really long time, and don't want to anymore.
So.. this thread is once again for people to find each other for reading.. and for folks who aren't cis-men.. women, trans, queer.. to maybe reach me.
Good night!

Comments

• A few years ago, I went on tour of a nickel mine. I had studied a little geology, so was interested in what the nickel ore was mixed with. The guide just said, "It's waste", which was the end of his knowledge and interest.

As a cis-male, I can sometimes sympathise with that non-ore rock.

• Welcome to the club @geoff1000 now you know how every other gender feels in this culture. I don't make the rules. I just aim for equity. Care to uplift me?.. lets see what we can do.

• I'm down for reading to someone via phone. Sounds πŸ‘Œ as long as it's not something sexy or provocative, which could be awkward.

• @Biblioromantic yes, that's totally it. Reading from things that are uplifting, or inspiring, or lyrical. I get you with the provocative.. I have a thing where I can't read anything that's violent or exploitative. Boundaries are really important, but I don't always prescreen what I read. When someone is triggered and wants to shift gears, it's the same as physical consent.. it stops. Lots of times I picked a reading and then was like.. oh.. here there's something that's problematic for women.. and just stopped and picked another story. This is a rough world for sensitive people otherwise.. so it's critical to be able to say what goes in my head, cause otherwise it's bound to be shit.

• I would love to do this with some of the epic poems like the Illiad or something similar. Wordsworth or other long Is poems.

• @Gordo72 I bet there's others who would love that! Hope someone into that meets you here! I can vouch that it's a spectacular connection checking in and reading with people.

• [Deleted User]Historybuff (deleted user)

This is fascinating, and I’m interested in learning more. Anything else to add that I don’t know to ask.

• [Deleted User]SoftPetals (deleted user)
    edited June 2020

I definitely would love reading to someone and being read to.

• @SoftPetals , i'd love to read to you and rub your back :smile:

• @SoftPetals I'll be one of your reading people if you want! I'll PM

• [Deleted User]DeadGirlWalking (deleted user)

I'd like to read/be read to. I need a WhatsApp buddy that I can share audio clips with :)

• @BuggleBear when you say audio clips, do you mean just talking? Or asmr?

• I think this is such a great idea, i love so many aspects of this! I’m happy to read/be read to.

• It's too bad the cis men are left out. Are we poor at reading?

I'm partly playing devil's advocate here, as a person can seek who/what they want. But to single out one sub-group population to omit them is kind of rough, no? Could a cis-man do the same with some other sub-group? I'm afraid that wouldn't be acceptable, and maybe it shouldn't be.

But I have to admit - I read the first post and thought it a great idea, only to find that I was part of the undesirable group.

• I think this is a fantastic idea. I just dont know about me reading to someone. I may need some practice first. πŸ™ƒ

• @AK72
    I'd read to you, it sounds super relaxing for both.

• yawn trying to read nueromancer but the text is so small in this book

• @DT80 it's not personal. Use this thread to find someone else.. I didn't create it just for me. Oh!!! @happybear got'chu!!

• Huh.πŸ€” I never would've thought of this. Definitely something I'd like to try. I'd need some practice reading to someone though lol 😊

• [Deleted User]jasmines (deleted user)

This sounds amazing!! I used to have a friend who would just gush about the new poetry he was reading and I don't even like poetry but it was so special sharing it with someone 😩 I need a reading buddy again.

• @Wanderer92 & @jasmines I barely have any nights left. But maybe it is time for a cc femme folk reading zoom group. I hope everyone on this thread is getting to connect with others on this. Reading together and checking in at the end of the night has been really really sweet.