How I Found Happiness on CC Part 2: The First Meeting

edited July 2021 in General

This is the second installment in my story of How I found happiness on Cuddle Comfort. It's written from my perspective, which is that of a cis, straight, able-bodied, right-handed, Christian-cultured, university-educated, middle-aged, white man (I know, right?) who cuddles women. Make your own adjustments, but the principles don't change.

The story so far: enough of a messaging relationship has been established that you have said something like, "Would you like to talk about meeting up?" At this point there are four possible avenues, not counting a flat 'no'.

• continuing the conversation because she is still unsure about meeting
  • arranging a video or voice call
  • arranging an initial meeting, perhaps for coffee somewhere public with cuddling not an option
  • arranging a meeting with a view to cuddling if both of you feel comfortable

Assuming some kind of meeting, move on to practicalities. Make a general plan first; then discuss matters like covid, relevant medical conditions, pets, flatmates, transport, etc; and finally nail down the details. A typical first cuddle meeting lasts between two and four hours.

The conversation stays on CC until the day of (or day before) the call or meeting. At that point you may (or may not) wish to switch to something like Whatsapp. Do not use apps with disappearing messages, it's not safe. You must ask permission for everything. Do say, "Would you like to exchange numbers so we can go onto Whatsapp?" Do not say, "What's your number?"

The night before, confirm the meeting with details. On the day, be scrupulously clean. You are going to meet somebody nice who wants to meet you, so be happy and full of confidence. This is a good thing!

Tell a reliable friend exactly who you are meeting and where. If you are going to her house, a gift is not expected and anything that costs more than about five bucks is inappropriate. However, if you would like to take something, the convention in London is some nice chocolate.

If they are coming to your house, the place must be spotless. For example, if you are contemplating cuddling on the bed then the sheets must be clean on this morning. You should offer simple refreshments, but your visitor is at liberty to decline. If your bathroom does not have sanitary products in the cupboard for emergencies ... well then you are beyond my help or anybody else's.

Immediately before you meet, check that her profile is still live. If not, this is a very bad sign. Make contact and ask why, and be prepared to abandon ship. If she has two large, ugly friends who offer to carry your wallet and phone, let them. Note that the primary vulnerabilty of a man going to meet a woman from the internet is financial, so don't sign anything. Meeting people from the internet isn't dangerous but it is a bit like crossing the road - if you don't look left and right you risk being run over.

However, remember that you live in a society where serious physical violence by men against women is more common than the other way around. Stop for a moment and reflect on this. For example, it's never ok for you to be between your cuddle partner and the door of the room you are in: she must always be between you and the door. Otherwise she will feel trapped, consciously or unconsciously.

Once you are together, turn your text conversation into a real conversation for anything from five minutes to an hour. Then you can start to turn the conversation into a cuddle, if you are both comfortable with that. It might be best to start with a conversation about your experiences of touch, if you haven't done so already. Some people discuss specifics: 'I love having my back stroked, but please don't touch my hair'. Take it stage by stage. 'Would it be ok if I come and sit right next to you? ..... May I hug you? ..... Would you like to put your legs over my legs?'

Every new touch requires explicit permission. 'May I .... ' There are only two possible answers: 'hell, yeah' and 'hell, no'. Anything that is not the first, is the second. It is utterly forbidden in cuddling to ask twice. The corollary is that if she asks you something, you must be totally straightforward. It's fine to say, 'I'm not sure about that. Can we try it for a minute and see how I get on?'

yes = yes, but only to precisely this, and only to now

maybe = hell no, not now, not ever, do not ask again
ummm = ditto
perhaps later = ditto
[pause] = ditto
no = ditto

In all this talk of respecting your cuddle buddy's boundaries, it is essential not to lose sight of your own. Before you go, be clear in your own head about what kind of touch is ok with you, and what isn't. If you need to, practice saying no, or saying, 'my neck is starting to hurt, can we move?'. If a hand ends up in a place that you are not comfortable with, the convention is simply to lift it up and place it somewhere nearby that is ok. If your hand gets moved, just say 'oh, sorry' and don't put your hand there again, but in itself it's not a big deal.

It's also not a big deal if you get an erection. It's not rare, and most women are pretty relaxed about it as long as you deal with it correctly. (See boner threads passim.) Apologise if necessary, and adjust your position. It may be helpful to put a cushion in the affected area.

Have a plan for what to do if she tries to turn the session sexual. It's unusual, but it does happen. If your response to that was something along the lines of 'yippee!' .... well then you have much thinking to do before you are ready to be a cuddle buddy. Such behaviour might be indicative of a history of some kind of abuse, and by playing along with it you would be continuing the abuse.

If she asks for payment at the end of the session, keep your cool and remain polite. Point out that she does not have a professional profile and you did not book the session through the site. (Real professionals require payment at the start, always.) However, bear in mind that she may need the money. Report the event when you get home.

After the cuddle, stay and chat for a little. If you would like to see her again, indicate this vaguely but do not attempt to arrange a second meeting. Everybody needs to sleep on the first session. People who have just had a really good cuddle may experience a blissful state known as a 'cuddle coma', and people in a cuddle coma are at risk of making poor decisions.

If the whole experience has been a happy one, you may wish to leave Karma. Ask permission for this. If they are willing, then post something true and nice about them. Do not mislead people who may rely on that Karma. Say that if they would like to leave nice Karma for you, you would appreciate it. It is their right not to do so without explaining. (Some people prefer not to use Karma, for all sorts of reasons.) Karma may not be 'traded': you leaving Karma for her, and her leaving Karma for you, are completely separate.

If the experience has been in any way unhappy, consider discussing it with them. Serious unhappiness should be dealt with by Reporting the incident to the moderators. Minor points may be mentioned in Karma, but always be as kind as circumstances permit. Karma should be written a day or two later, when you have some perspective but the events are still fresh.

Assuming all is well, send a thank you message the next day.

An appropriate time later, continue the conversation and indicate clearly and politely whether you'd like to cuddle again. Cuddle relationships commonly do not last very long - they tend either to peter out, or escalate to friendship or romance.

And that's it. You're now a cuddler. Congratulations!

Comments

• @CuddleDuncan, I really hope you come to North Carolina someday!

As a woman I would add, I would never go to a man's house for a first meeting. I wouldn't go anywhere non-public with an internet stranger, including a hotel room. I meet new cuddlers at the movies, we chat for 30 minutes or so before the movie starts, and then I put his hands where I'm comfortable having them. I've had no complaints and quite a few remarks on how the men appreciate me taking the lead.

Those who pass the vibe check after 1 to several cuddles at the theater progress to non-public meetings and other ways to contact me, outside the website. Anyone gives me the uh-oh feeling or pressures me to move faster than I'm comfortable with at any point, the conversation is over.

I have all the cuddles I can fit in my schedule. I would encourage any woman here to keep your standards high and not let anyone push you around. Some of them will try! You don't have to accept that behavior. Happy cuddling y'all!

• @Cuddle_RN thank you, I would love to! One day I will do a cuddle tour of the US .....

That post hits the character limit, so I skipped the safety lecture which is well covered elsewhere. You're quite right of course. Having said that, I have been surprised by how many people have been willing to come to my house for a first meeting. I'm lucky enough to live in a pleasant, safe area and I think that helps. It's fine obviously, because it's me, but I do worry sometimes.

In the interests of full disclosure I would be willing to go to somebody house first, but it's different because I'm a bloke. I also know what I'm doing. I have spoken to men who are more vulnerable than me in that regard, and told them in no uncertain terms that they must not. If in doubt, or if you don't know what you are doing, then don't.

• These are beautiful posts. Thank you so much.

When you come to the U.S. I am sure you will have a number of cuddle buddies waiting for you. Put me on your list!

Do you suggest agreeing to a time limit, particularly on a first cuddle, when cuddling with an enthusiast rather than a pro? Or just playing it by ear?

• @Thank you Babichev, that's very kind and much appreciated. Yes, I have long contemplated a cuddle tour of US (don't hold your breath) and don't worry, you were already on the list. :)

With a professional it's easy, you have a booked time. I always do an hour with a new one, since you don't really know how you are going to get on.

With enthusiasts, yes I would recommend discussing an approximate end time for the first meeting. ('We'll have to stop around 5pm anyway because I'm meeting a friend later and I need time to reset my head and get changed.") It just creates more of a formal framework, which is often a good thing with new people and new circumstances. It's not essential (at least for me) and obviously you can change your mind by mutual agreement if you want. I didn't do it when I was new but now I do, I think it's helpful. It reduces uncertainty.

• Great post. I would expand on one item though.

Maybe it's just me, but I would never offer a woman I was alone with for the first time something to eat or drink that was not in a sealed container. A closed bottle of water, sure. A smoothie I just made with God knows what added in, nope. That's a perfect way to scare the bejezzus out of her...

• edited July 2021

@Mr_Cuddle_Bear yes, quite right. The only thing that anybody who I didn't really know has accepted from me is water, and I would be perfectly happy to let them rinse out the glass and get it from the tap themselves. Don't consume anything in a stranger's house unless you're sure it hasn't been tampered with. It's fine to bring your own drinks. But always remember that this kind of crime is vanishingly rare.

Since we are here, another point of detail is, always check the address very carefully. If you were told (and have passed on to your safety friend) number 35A, make sure you aren't inveigled into 35B or 37A by somebody 'accidentally' meeting you on the street. Last minute changes of address are a deal-breaker for that particular meeting and you must not go. If it's genuine, it'll sort itself out and you can meet them next week.

• Great advice, @CuddleDuncan . Thank you.

• edited September 2021

@CuddleDuncan, thank you so much for these posts. I wish they could be required reading for everyone. I have linked to them in my profile; please let me know if that's NOT okay, and I will delete immediately.

I signed up recently, and am overwhelmed by all the men who write and 1) want to immediately "schedule" a session, even though I'm not a professional 2) tell me how desperately lonely they are and need me to hold them 3) write and say "hi" and nothing else when they are completely out of my geographical area which gives me exactly zero reason to respond 4) don't have any photos 5) become angry when I don't respond to a compliment

I'm already thinking of deleting my profile, but surely there's good to be found on here, so I'm sticking with it for now.

• More I see responses and forums I see. More I think one gender sometimes feel like they are the prize. I think both genders need to feel and act like they are the prize . This fan treatment on here and lonely acting needs a change

• @Gibbysan I'm very flattered, thank you!

Welcome! Your experience is, I'm afraid, pretty typical. It's heartbreaking to have to say this, but as far as initial messages are concerned, don't give people second chances or the benefit of the doubt. (While you are new, anyway.) History teaches us that it's not worth the trouble. Use the Block and if necessary Report buttons freely - the mods here are very good.

There is indeed plenty of good to be found here. Once the initial rush has worn off, and you've found your way around, it'll be fine.

• edited September 2021

Agree with others that this is a good write up!

@Gibbysan There was a post of some female enthusiast that did find men to cuddle with, they said that only about 2% or so of the messages the received resonated with them. So bear with it if you can! I started off here sending mostly one liners. I myself am trying to be in the camp that sends those 2% messages. Even in these cases, where I think a good connection is formed, things still may not work for any number of reasons!

@timetocuddle07 You're right that everyone needs to come to the table with sufficient self-respect. Whether through nature or nurture, it seems that (speaking in terms of heterosexual encounters, can't speak for the non-binary crowd) in the United States, men generally are tasked with initiating and building rapport with women in dating. Cuddling of course is a platonic activity, but the parallels in the process of forming a connection exists. It is what it is I guess. Doesn't help when there are hordes of lonely/desperate men that give women an overabundance of attention, and it seems that that attention is often of too low quality or harassing/creepy. I can't control what other people do, I can only control what I do (just adding that I can have an influence on the people in my life based on my decisions). I've been sending out less messages and focusing on myself more

• Nice thread. Thank you.

• [Deleted User]PATSchick (deleted user)

Thank you for the helpful hints. I wish I would have read this when I first joined back in 2020. I have had 3 cuddle sessions and yes they almost immediately (after setting the time and date) disappeared from this site. Now I know why.

• This was the perfect time for me to re-read this thread, thank you for bumping it, @cylee1180!

@CuddleDuncan Hot dang, this is fantastic advice and I truly appreciate it as I go into my first meetings with people from this site, in just a week or so! I don't have actual cuddles lined up, just non-cuddle hangouts, but this is such appreciated advice, thank you!!

~ Sunset Snuggles

• I'm also glad @cylee1180 bumped this thread and no one wrote anything about necroposting. Some threads are worth reviving. cylee1180 is a great addition to the forum.

I have hosted and guested without a public meeting first, but would not do it just anytime. I'm older and less of a target for the bad guys. Like CuddleDuncan, I also know what I'm doing. I don't advise that other women do this. I think what @Cuddle_RN does is great for her and would be for many others. And like she says, don't let anyone push you around. No one that tries to push you around has your best interests at heart.

It's good for everyone, regardless of gender, to consider only offering or accepting close containers of food or beverages.
    I served grapes cause it was one cuddler's fave fruit and showed him the unopen package before I washed them. He liked that I did that.

• @achetocuddle thanks. It was referred to me by @CuddleDuncan as I'm new and learning the ropes. Have a good day!

• Amazingly well-written and surely helpful for so many. I wish every man here would read this!! Love your insight about consent. Also very wise words about someone who would try to turn the session sexual and their possible trauma history.

• @CuddleDuncan, thank you so much for the two related posts. I hope all new cuddle buddies have time to read this information. Very helpful!

• @CuddleDuncan You should write a book or start a podcast!

• @Cuddleduncan, is there anywhere that I can find some more advice on how to write a great first message?

- I'm a non-pro woman on this site, and here's what I look for in a first message.