A teacher was fired for not meowing at student who identifies as a cat.

Comments

• Of course you can make it up. She did lol.

• Not even a real story. No attributions in the story whatsoever.

• Of all the things that didn’t happen, this happened the didn’test.

• This is very obviously outrage propaganda. Yknow, a lie.
    A very not subtle attack on trans people.

• Hey, @Mike403, I'm actually a Nigerian prince. This might come as a shock to you, but things aren't going so well in my home country. Fortunately, over the last few years, I have managed to build up a great deal of support amongst the common folk. They yearn for my return, and for the reformations I will enact.

The only obstacle to my return: $15. That's the price I must pay to be smuggled back into my country.

If you would be so kind, please DM me your banking info.

I thank you, and the people of Nigeria thank you.

• Even if it were possible for someone to be a different species than the one they were assigned at birth, I think we can all agree that sending a cat to school—as a student—would be silly.

Just having the cat enrolled would already be not respecting their identity.

• @HogboblinZwei
    I ugly laughed so hard 😆

• Even if everything the "teacher" said was true, I highly doubt she was fired for the act of not meowing. She was more likely fired for being extremely rude and making fun of the child. The article does not mention how old the children are or what grade they're in, other than a mention of a "little girl." This could have been a kindergarten class, where it is quite common and normal for kids to play pretend and role play. A good teacher would play along, not embarrass and humiliate the child in front of the entire class. The "teacher" even admitted she "probably should not have said that," so she got what she deserved. She is clearly not fit for that role.

• @bekah_cuddles - When I was in elementary school, students were put into detention for acting like that. It was considered to be disrupting the class.

• @bekah_cuddles It doesn’t even mention the school, the city or anything. This amounts to click bait and nothing more.

• A man did a TED talk about robot dogs. What is this country coming to?! Thoughts and prayers.

This is real. Totally real. Just like the OP's post. Definitely real.

• @Mike403 In kindergarten??? I'm so sorry you went through that. Sounds like an awful school with abusive teachers.

• @FunCartel Oh I'm sure. I was just playing with the idea that even if the minimal, biased, one-sided information was true, the teacher's response was inappropriately hostile.

• Rights for the trans community is one thing, some kids, and even full grown adults (using that term very loosely), will do anything for attention just to be unique. These are the same kids who basically grow up to be hipsters. No one likes hipsters, not even hipsters, which is why real hipsters would never admit to being a hipster.

• @bekah_cuddles - Yup although they didn't keep kids that age after school. They made them sit out during the next film strip(something the kids looked forward to) for getting in trouble for stupid stuff like that.

• It’a extremely unfortunate that people can read a story like this and not immediately realize it’s an obvious lie. People seriously need to get better at evaluating their sources of information.

• @Odinson87 - I knew a hipster before knowing hipsters was cool

• So this isn't true nor is it all that particularly funny. The author is poking fun at a part of the community that doesn't identify as heteronormative. Using animals to make a racist statement is no different when it comes to gender. This is a sexist post.

• @PeopleLikeUs - um... excuse me. I was never once trying to be sexist or offensive. I was simply sharing something bizarre that was reported on multiple places (not just one website).

• edited January 2022

I'm afraid it's a sad state of our world when print reporters have to go to TikTok to scour for the content of their articles.

• A good rule of thumb for spotting these kinds of fake stories is this:

If it conflates gender with something physical (like sex, race, species, etc.), it's probably yet another attack on trans folks.

• If it was "reported on multiple places" then can you cite something beyond a tiktok? lol

• @ernesto_2 - I mean I didn't link some satire site. Allegedly means a teacher is claiming that is what happened.

• @Mike403: You didn't say "allegedly," though.

• If the original story was intended and presented as satire or in some humourous context, then it may have its place.

However, it's simply not possible to believe that it is a real story. It just doesn't make any sense.

1. Somebody who identified as a cat would not be sent to school, as already mentioned.
    2. They would most likely be in a hospital.
    3. If they were sent to school, they would simply escape.
    4. The teacher is being accused of not using a language in which they have no training or expertise, and neither does anybody else. Which is absurd.
    5. Cats do not expect humans to meow at them: they expect humans to use the local language, presumably English. Meowing is only used by cats, to talk to humans. If there was any truth in the story, the teacher would have been fired for not understanding meowing, not for not using it.

Any one of these makes the story utterly unbelievable.

As @CuddleWho points out, it's very concerning that some people can think there might be truth in something so palpably nonsense. The reason they do could be the desire to avoid cognitive dissonance.

• Cats do not expect humans to meow at them: they expect humans to use the local language, presumably English. Meowing is only used by cats, to talk to humans. If there was any truth in the story, the teacher would have been fired for not understanding meowing, not for not using it.

Bahahahahaha! Brilliant use of deductive reasoning and cat logic 🐈

• Well the publications this story is featured in are far, far right rags of misinformation with a hateful agenda. The same story is printed verbatim in each, follow directions by derisive comments in the vein of “what is this world coming to” and “we will be China’s fodder very soon.” These are people who do not require veracity or citations, only a hermetically sealed echo chamber full of their worst fears.

• All journalism now exists within those echo chambers. If you don’t realize that you’re just as naive as anyone else who believed the original article. I’d guess that most of the people reacting to the OP with vitriol likely get their information from similar echo chambers.

• @Useriousclark

So you really, truly believe that all sources of information are equally unreliable? That this nonsense being spread by this source could have been found in any other source?

• @CuddleWho Yes he does. People that make those claims speak in generalities and can never cite anything remotely authoritative.