Support for transgender people

edited January 2022 in General

https://www.hrc.org/resources/be-an-ally-support-trans-equality

In another thread, recently, I saw what I consider to be a number of micro-aggressions against transgender people. I didn’t want to add to the noise there. But I hope people who support transgender individuals (or who want to learn more about how to do so) might benefit from a place to share resources or words of encouragement in a thread that is intended to support and encourage inclusivity. 🐡🀞🏽

Β«1345

Comments

• Thank you @MonkeyNeedsAHug ❀ I would like to wholeheartedly express my support and love to all our trans cuddlers. I think you are brave, amazing, and fucking beautiful.

• @MonkeyNeedsAHug this is a wonderful idea for a thread! β€πŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œ

• edited January 2022

My heart goes out to transgender people. It'd be wrong to say that I understand what they go through just trying to exist, because you can never truly understand someone's experience without going through it. The most I can do is empathize and educate myself.

I'm happy to see the world becoming more inclusive and more tolerant.

We see you. You exist. Your experience is valid. You matter.❀

You will often find allies and help in the most unlikely places.

• This is a very good thread and thank you for posting @MonkeyNeedsAHug!!!! I celebrate DIVERSITY all across the spectrum. As you can see on my profile, I tolerate NO discrimination. EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE is welcomed to reach out. I cuddle women, men; straight or gay all across the board.

• πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

• @MCcuddles2 Your comments echo my sentiments.

• @MonkeyNeedsAHug - This is good; Thank you for sharing this resource with us.

• edited January 2022

Oof, I should not have gone looking for the transphobic thread. I need that tag group @self care is not reading the comments. It's especially hurtful how people say they are for inclusivity and diversity and in the same breath sprew transphobic BS. You're not tricking anyone.

• ^^^ Agreed.. and I wish there was more accountability. But the micro aggression that was so poorly hidden im sure was noticed by potential future cuddlers.
    I have so many people in my life who are transgender and I know how deeply these kinds of things hurt and how much they have to put up with every day.
    I love this thread idea! !!
    Let's leave the hate off this site and focus on love and kindness!! 🌈 🌈 🌈 🌈 🌈 🌈 🌈
    β€πŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œ

• Good thread, @CozyWolfy.

If I were to tell trans people in general anything, I guess it'd be this: "You've been here for centuries, and if humanity's still here centuries from now, so will you be. Some things don't change."

(Let's hope transphobia does, though. Humanity can do without it.)

• edited January 2022

If you observe microaggressions against any group, please Report them. To quote from the Terms of Service:

you agree that you shall not under any circumstances harass or make mischief against any other user of the Website.

• edited January 2022

@CuddleDuncan: Hmm.

That's "user" singular, though. Does the site really care if multiple users are attacked at once, when their usernames aren't cited?

(This line of inquiry could get pretty far from positive, so I've spoilered it. I'm a little iffy about even posting, but... I want to know. And I suspect others might, too.)

• edited January 2022

@DaringSprinter yes it does. Any form of hate speech is not ok here.

In English law, the singular includes the plural and vice versa unless the context precludes it. (Ditto femine and masculine and, by implication, non-binary.) I appreciate that the TOS specify US law but I suspect it's the same.

In any event, specifying the target by name isn't necessary. CC has a fair number of transgender and agender members.

The first line of moderation is the community. If somebody posts something you consider to be a microaggression, it's fine to challenge it politely and gently.

• I support trans people, and I think this thread is neat. Especially since the experiences of trans people have been repeatedly reduced to meaningless noise in the last day or two, by several people.

I'm not expecting much to be done about that, really. Mainly because I'm fairly certain that this forum's focus on inclusivity is a facade.

• Just about anything can be considered a microaggression by someone. For instance if you are having a bad morning and someone says "Good Morning" to you, that would be a microagression. Once when someone close to me died I must have had a glum look on my face, some person I did not even know said to me "Don't look so sad it might never happen". That was definitely a microagression in my eyes, but how could the person who said it have known my circumstances?

• @HogboblinZwei well why don't you do something about it? Nicely and politely and thoughtfully and constructively I mean.

The website is British, by the way. Based in London. It's just that most of the users happen to be American.

The forum is run by members. The mods are all members of the community.

• @HogboblinZwei

I'm fairly certain that this forum's focus on inclusivity is a facade.

The optimist in me hopes that you are incorrect. If that is not the case, the backup optimist in me hopes that it can be improved.

I believe that all of us have the opportunity to increase the chances of that when we report things that marginalize people groups.

• I am here to show support for transgender πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ ❀️🌈 and many other groups that deal with discrimination. Discrimination in general is very real and not fun to deal with. Wishing everyone well, during the tough process. I recently cuddled my first transgendered person. It was an amazing experience and will definitely do it again. I wish people would love ❀️ all people and not let factors (gender identity, sexual orientation, race, social status, political or faith based viewpoints πŸ˜‡) interfere.

• edited January 2022

@UKGuy

You seem to be working with a bad definition of "microaggression."

A microaggression is a comment or action that negatively targets a marginalized group of people.

Neither "people who've had a bad morning" nor "people who've lost a loved one" are marginalized groups, so the comments you describe may be thoughtless, but they're not microaggressions.

[Edit: not a trans affirmation as such, soβ€”spoilered.]

• edited January 2022

Edit: I'm going to spoiler this, and I'm hesitant to discuss the subject further in this thread.

@CuddleDuncan

"Nicely and politely and thoughtfully and constructively I mean."

If inclusivity is framed solely in what is nice, polite, and thoughtful, then it is anemic. Things don't really go super well for people who kindly request to be treated with a shred of dignity. Especially when there are others who deny the existence of those people, or nullify their experiences at the drop of a hat.

• @HogboblinZwei oh yes of course, I just meant don't start a flame war.

• @CuddleDuncan and @HogboblinZwei and @DaringSprinter

Yes, agreed: we do not want a flame war. This thread was created as a call for support for transgender individuals and the transgender community. Let it be so.

• That goes for everyone, yes?

Because it's a pretty big ask to temper one's flames when people keep fanning the embers, let alone spraying them with lighter fluid.

I'm just wanting it to be clear, if someone (especially one from said marginalized community) lets you know what you have shared is problematic, offensive, harmful, etc. this should be seen as an invitation to display some humility and accountability ~ As opposed to invalidating another's experience by being dismissive or 'doubling down' causing the 'micro' part of the aggression to be stripped away and blowing things up.

tldr
    Keeping things chill is on all of us. Yes?

• @quixotic_life I am fully behind this message! And I think @Sideon is as well.

• Live and let live ⚧ love and let love πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ

Peace to all humans
    βœŒπŸ»β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œπŸ–€πŸ€πŸ€ŽβœŒπŸΏ

• Well stated and I’m fully in support of this!

• I am here to support the trans community however they see fit. And I am not here to dictate to them how that comes out. This is a good fight. I'm all in. They have the right to be who they are openly and honestly. I am here to learn from them and not set parameters. You mess with them you mess with me.

• @quixotic_life again well said.
    I made a critique about tone on a previous thread and then felt silly about it afterwards. Especially after seeing some intentionally inflammatory comments following mine. I support this thread.

• Lovely thread @MonkeyNeedsAHug - thanks for creating ❀️

In terms of resources, while absolutely not perfect or comprehensive, I've found The Genderbread Person (www.genderbread.org) to be a really useful tool for explaining and separating concepts of gender identity and expression, biological sex, and sexual orientation in simple terms, to both adults and children.