What is the dumbest thing you've witness somebody do? (either in person or on the internet)

Comments

• @Mike_Girard 🤣🤣🤣 yeah that is a pretty good one. Could have been Camden.

• edited July 2022

@Artemis795 That's horrible but also really funny. I could easily see myself doing something like that in a similar situation.

• When I was a kid, my family had a dedicated shaker for cinnamon-and-sugar: a mix I loved on toast. One morning, unbeknownst to me, Mom ditched the cinnamon-and-sugar and filled that shaker with salt.

So I woke up, toasted a slice of bread, spread some butter on it, sprinkled a healthy coat of what I thought was cinnamon-and-sugar across the top of it, completely failed to notice the absence of cinnamon-y browness, and took a bite. "Hmm," I thought to myself. "This doesn't taste quite right."

So I reached for my favorite shaker and put more salt on my toast.

Everyone noticed my second bite, because I made a horrible choking noise and turned bright red from the neck up. It's a good thing there was a trash can in easy reach, because that second bite didn't stay in my mouth long!

• You think I've actually peaked yet? Ha. This decade is still young.

• [Deleted User]Lunaari (deleted user)
    edited July 2022

Hey, I am new to the site! I'm Luna. :)

my story actually happened a few days ago, I bought a new car for my birthday and well this is what happened.....

Sooo a man who recently tried to commit insurance fraud while throwing himself on the hood of my NON-MOVING car at a light in front of a constable who was pulling out of a gas station parking lot in a giant suv WELL marked suv. The constable just told me to go. I never thought that would happen in my life though.😂😂

He just kind of like....threw himself on my hood like "OH no, I've been hit", and the cop is just looking like:

._______. for real!?

anyways, thanks for letting me share! :)

• edited July 2022

This actually happened here in TX on July 4th. Darwin award worthy.
    Headline: "Texas man dies after lighting firework on his head during July 4 celebration"
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/texas-fireworks-death-17287995.php

• So much material out there it’s hard to choose.

I’m trying to think of the dumbest thing I have ever said or done and I draw blanks. It’s not that I’ve never said or done anything dumb but my memory seems to block it out.

Here’s a series of dumb events that happened to a young acquaintance of mine. She and her boyfriend were not real bright. I needed some help around the house and asked the young woman if she was interested, I would pay her. She showed up with her boyfriend and said he would help, too, but I didn’t need to pay him. That was a bit weird but I said okay. What needed to be done was clean the kitchen and bathroom so I asked him if he wanted to clean the bathroom while she and I cleaned the kitchen. He said okay. She and I went to the kitchen and she cleaned the refrigerator (sort of, she wasn’t very good at it) while I cleaned the stove & sink & such. I heard water running constantly in the bathroom and went to see what was going on. He had the sink running full blast even though he wasn’t using the water and he had actually removed the toilet seat from the toilet. Apparently he thought you needed to do that to clean the toilet.

On another occasion, she called me to tell me a story about them buying a car. They went to a used car lot, one of those “buy here pay here.” He chose a car based on its looks and they signed some sort of contract on it. While they were driving it away from the lot the transmission went out. They had it towed to a mechanic. The guy did not go to work for the next three days because he did not have a car. (He worked as a security guard for minimum wage.) He got fired from his job. So they missed their payment on the car because of him losing his job and the lot repossessed it. The mechanic had already fixed it so now the guy had no job, they owed money to the mechanic, and the used car lot got the car back in better shape than they sold it. She managed to talk them into letting them have the car back and was quite proud of herself. “Have you ever known someone who got their car back after it was repossessed?” she asked me with great excitement. “Well, no, because my friends manage their lives in a way that they don’t get their cars repossessed.” I pointed out to her that 1) if her boyfriend had taken a cab to work, even if it cost his entire night’s wages, he would still have his job and 2) if they would have asked to take the car to be inspected by their mechanic before buying it they probably would have avoided the whole crazy scene.

It doesn’t stop there. They decided to rent a house owned by a friend’s mom. The house was not in livable condition. They started paying rent on it and started working on cleaning the place up. The yard was full of weeds and vines, the place was a mess. They did this for three months and paid rent the whole time. At the end of three months they found out the place did not have an occupancy permit and they could not move in. They actually paid this woman $450/month to clean her place up! I told her that it was illegal for that woman to sign a lease with them on a place that did not have an occupancy permit. When they asked for their money back the woman said she did not have it and they did not want to press it because it was their friend’s mom.

At this point I could not restrain myself and said to her, “Hey, I have a proposal. Since you’re giving away money, why don’t you send me $150/month? I won’t make you work, you’ll be ahead, and I could use the money.” Fortunately, she saw the humor in it.

They found another car and had a mechanic inspect it and it did not break down on the way home. The bad news is that they guy wrecked it driving 100 mph, lost control, and got himself killed, leaving their kid fatherless, leaving them without insurance, without an income or a car, just a lot of grief. I know it sounds cold but she was much better off in the end. She did a much better job at managing her meager resources, went back to school, and did not make such stupid decisions.

• @Babichev Ouch. Shouldn't this go in Dark Humor? Lol

• edited July 2022

This certainly isn’t the dumbest thing I’ve seen, but it stands out as one of the funniest (and, well, it is pretty dumb lol)

One day at work I was making my way to the restroom when a coworker arrived to the office and was walking up the stairs to the 2nd floor where I was at. He was tall and very thin, and was looking very emo, as if he just got out of a My Chemical Romance concert (no hate, I love my share of emo bands 😅) He had his hoodie up listening to music with his hands in his pockets as he climbed the stairs. When he got to the top, he tripped on the last step and fell forward. His skinny jeans were so tight that he couldn’t get his hands out and he face planted as a result. Unfortunately for him, the traumatizing situation didn’t end there. Even after forcefully making out with the carpet, he still couldn’t get his hand free from the death grip of his skinny jeans. He had to shimmy his way into a position where he could stand up without the need of his hands, and sadly for him it was the most hilariously embarrassing thing I have ever witnessed. After he finally managed to get himself upright, he ran off, hands still in his pockets, and I honestly don’t remember seeing him ever again.

• @Charlie_Bear I bet there's CCTV evidence of that somewhere . I'd pay to see it.

• @cylee1180 omg if there is I would love to see it again hahaha

• @Charlie_Bear I bet this dude still has nightmares about it despite all that time in the therapists chair. Lol

• @Babichev omg that turned dark at the end, wow.

I too have blocked out so many things. One that doesn’t seem to want to leave my memory is a time when I worked at a movie theatre and asked a friend to cover my shift. I had become really good friends with this guy and he was the type that you just knew was gonna go places after high school. I wanted to see the movie The Patriot with my parents so I asked him if he’d cover my shift. He was happy to, and after the movie I thanked him and went home. The next day I came into work and found he had fallen asleep at the wheel on his way home after work and drifted into oncoming traffic. The people in the other car were ok but he didn’t make it.

• @cylee1180 lol yes I cannot imagine him not being traumatized by the event. I was the only person to see it, and thankfully I didn’t laugh out loud, but I really had to hold it in. I didn’t tell anyone at work about it because I knew it would be super embarrassing for him, but I hadn’t seen him again so I eventually started telling the story haha

• @Charlie_Bear Yeah. That's an awesome story.

Man, I wouldn't be able to recover from that last one . That's about the saddest thing I've ever heard.

• edited July 2022

It was heartbreaking. And sadly it was not the first time someone died because I needed to have my shift covered. I had asked another friend of mine to cover my shift, and he had something he needed to get from his friends/neighbors. Instead of just meeting at my friends house, they drove to the theatre to meet my friend. When they left, the guy driving was reckless and driving dangerously. He lost control and hit the center divider, launching their car directly in the path of a car in the opposite lane. It sheared the top off that car, killing that guy in the other car as well as my friend’s neighbors in the back seat of the car that lost control (they were brothers.)

After those two events I never asked anyone to cover my shift again 😓

• Wow wtf. That is crazy. @Charlie_Bear How tragic.

• [Deleted User]Btown (deleted user)

The moral of the story is DO NOT take any
    shifts on behalf of @Charlie_Bear

• @Btown 😂 that is probably the best advice you can give to my coworkers. Luckily I no longer work a job where I need my shifts covered.

• [Deleted User]DeadGirlWalking (deleted user)

I saw a guy in the car park of a supermarket today, who put his toddler on his shoulders, then proceeded to open the back driver's side door of his car and lean into the car and across the seat.

I don't know if he forgot the child was there, or misjudged the height of the car, but the kid got his head smacked against the door frame on the way in and on the way out.

• @DeadGirlWalking Yikes!

Similar to that, is watching parents push a stroller across the street while texting! I actively heckle them when they do that!

• [Deleted User]DeadGirlWalking (deleted user)

@cylee1180 I got yelled at by a woman the other day who was smoking while pushing a baby buggy.

I slapped the cigarette out of her hand and Zoidberged up the street while she screamed after me in a rage. It was awesome.

• @DeadGirlWalking Wish I saw that! My cancer stix!

• Ever see America's Funniest Home Videos? Yeah. All of that.

• TV sucks.

• edited July 2022

Saw a guy texting in the supermarket parking lot, almost ran into the side of a car that was backing up, then proceeded to text w his head down the rest of the way to the market.

• Sent me 10+ penis pics today to try to woo me over. I’m a 43 mother of two. Again, I’ve have seen them before. They all basically look the same. Yours, my sir, is not spectatulAr in way way.

• edited July 2022

@LRCuddler101 - ugh. I've never understood why we get so many unsolicited 🍆 pics. One guy even sent me a video (but hadn't said/done anything inappropriate prior to sending this video). I was thinking "Really?". Then he texted again after I didn't reply to his inappropriate video and goes "Are you still there?" Byeeeeee! 🙄🤣

• edited July 2022

@Green_Eyes @LRCuddler101 I read an excellent article once by a woman journalist who tracked down all the men who had sent her dick pics. She interviewed them and asked why.

There was a surprisingly wide range of responses, but the unifying theme was that, in the instant of sending it, they thought it was a good idea. They thought it would provoke a positive response, not a negative one. They ascribed the general lack of any response as simply part of the routine rejection that men receive from women.