Obscure thoughts

Comments

• @PrettyLuv
    yes.

has anyone ever wondered if they will ever be able to know the real meaning of why ...
    . gotta be obscure tho' ...

• the answer is 2

• or maybe not... just a wild guess !!

• edited December 2022

Oh I think I got it in 30 seconds. Answer is 2? Might have seen it before though.

• edited December 2022

It is 2.

30s is about right.

Minor spoiler

There's no way a programmer would take an hour. It's very susceptible to being solved by programming-style logic .... even if such logic does not reveal the true reason why the answer is 2.

• Gah! I don't get it!! 😫

• When I see something that is blue, and someone else looks at the some thing, does what I perceive as blue look the same to them? Or does what I perceive as blue, look to them as what I perceive to be green?
    Simply put, If I look at the ocean I see blue, but maybe you see green. You've only ever known blue by its name, so that's blue to you. Weird thoughts. lol

• @Originalirish thats true. I wonder how that would be resolved? Even if we painted it we’d come out with the same picture, just as we see the same ocean but defined in two very different shades.

That’s almost like a parallel existence.

• What if everything were already written in your dna, down to the very end, in a language not yet understood. Not genetic analysis but an actual language with words and sentences.

If the ancient sacred languages of the past were just a translation/a decoding of the language of our dna.

• we are merely star dust, have been, and always will be, nothing more, nothing less,,
    every star that ever was, or ever will be, that, to me, is the language of everything that ever was or ever will be.
    to search for the truth one must be willing to accept the truth, as it is, not how we want it to be..

then again, there are the dreamers amongst us,

• If hot and cold were as simple as positive and negative charge, then what would warm be?

Is charge always so black & white or is it as diverse as light.

• @PrettyLuv How does the DNA thing work for identical twins?

• @zerocantaloupe current dna testing tests less than 0.1% of the genome. The human genome project took 10 yrs to sequence 92% of a genome, which cost a little over 3 billion.

Even in the less than .1% test, identical twins have been found to have some variation. I’m sure the differences would become more apparent when fully sequenced. So if we were able to read dna like opening a book, I’d say they’d be treated no different than 2 different story lines with a more recent common denominator originating in the ovum.

• i'll have what she's having .... LOL

• Node points: If you can print out a viral sequence and artificially reproduce it in a lab, does one really need travel to spread it or just a printer?

• What sound do genetic sequences make? And if broadcasted/transmitted could one theoretically spread its function?

• What if genetic characters weren’t just mere code but generated magnetic pull similar to the north and south pole of a magnet.

If A opposed T and G opposed C, then the cure would simply be the inverse of the viral code. Resulting in a flip of its pull & direction. Why then settle for a vaccine print out if you can print out its cure?

• @PrettyLuv
    ughh say what ???

• has there really ever been "peace on earth" ??

• @PrettyLuv - its the shape of maths future to get to answer 2

• @Originalirish

When I see something that is blue, and someone else looks at the some thing, does what I perceive as blue look the same to them?

No. Colour perception is individual. So what you see as blue somebody else may perceive as green. However, we have broad and strong agreement on what constitutes the main colours so we can use these words usefully. (Colour blindness is a separate thing.) The arguments tend to come at the boundaries, or with colours that are actually complex mixtures of colours.

Colours are culture and language specific. In Gaelic for example, there is no linguistic distinction between green and grey. If you spend some time in the Scottish Highlands in winter you'll begin to understand why.

@PrettyLuv we all see different things, because what we see isn't a 'photograph' of reality. The thing our conscious mind perceives is the result of analysis by our unconscious mind. The most famous example of this is the blind spot. There is a particular angle from your eye where you can't see anything. However, you don't see a 'gap' in your view of the world. Your brain guesses what's there, and fills in the picture.

In other words, what you think you see isn't the real world. It's been processed by your unconscious before it gets shown to you.

• @PrettyLuv

If hot and cold were as simple as positive and negative charge, then what would warm be? Is charge always so black & white or is it as diverse as light.

Charge comes in precisely three flavours, which we call positive, negative and neutral. There are no other possibilities: it's +1, -1 or 0 and that's your lot. (We don't really know whether neutral is truly some kind of neutral, or charge not existing at all.) This is because charge is a property of certain types of elementary particle, and when we observe those particles these are the only kinds of charge we observe.

Of course you can add two or more similar charges together to make a bigger lump of charge. But keeping them together is a nightmare because the like charges are furiously repelling each other. And even if you do, a big lump of charge like that is attracting the opposite charge from all over the place, which tends to neutralise the thing you have so carefully created.

Returning to the question, if hot is positive and cold is negative (or vice versa) I suppose you could say warm is neutral.

But in reality there is no such thing as hot and cold, they are just human perception. We think of anything above about 40C as hot, and anything below about 10C as cold. (Depends on context of course.) But temperature actually goes from -273C to several million C (at least). So the band that we call 'warm' is very narrow indeed.

• edited December 2022

@PrettyLuv I didn't know that identical twins do have some genetic variation. That's really interesting. It does help explain how you can always tell identical twins apart if you look carefully enough, certainly once they are adults. I don't mean from environmental factors^, I do mean, for example, the subtleties in the shape of their eyes.

What sound do genetic sequences make?

A sound is a vibration. And genetic sequences are not intrinsically a vibration. The sequence itself is just information.

But it's easy to convert information into a sound. You can do that by one scientist shouting a genetic sequence across the lab to another. "It's a G ... then a T ... then another G and two A's ... "

Or you could allocate notes. A, C and G are done, and you could call T .... well D or E would be nice.

(With an E the chord sounds like this. I found a handy-dandy website for playing around with this stuff.)
    https://www.scales-chords.com/findnotes_en.php?n1=A&n2=&n3=C&n4=E&n5=G&n6=&strict=1

What if genetic characters weren’t just mere code but generated magnetic pull similar to the north and south pole of a magnet.

Actually, genetic characters do generate electromagnetic pull. That's how they replicate.

^ "Oh it's easy - Jim is the one with the meganormous scar on his face, and John is the one who's a brain in a jar with the electronic voice."

• edited December 2022

@SleddRider

has there really ever been "peace on earth" ??

No. But frankly I'd settle for peace in my intestinal system.

we are merely star dust, have been, and always will be, nothing more, nothing less,

We sure are.

• @CuddleDuncan
    thank you for your observations and views, gives me hope that humanity may just survive
    and with just 2 days until winter, (or summer for those "down under")
    perhaps we should all be grateful we may not be there for the obvious conclusions ...

@PrettyLuv
    O PrettyLuv, PrettyLuv, wherefore art thou PrettyLuv ?? you have not shared your words with us as of late ....

{{ ahh, for me.. to be a neutrino is not as lonely as one may think.. it does have its quirky advantages...}}

• edited December 2022

@CuddleDuncan

Charge comes in precisely three flavours, which we call positive, negative and neutral. There are no other possibilities

Science has proven positive and negative charge but has not disproven the existence of others. To settle with the existence of just positive, negative & neutral charge alone, is to forget the infinite number of decimal points between. The very reason why defining absolute 1, drove many mathematicians mad. Quantum mechanics has actually introduced another charge: color charge of the quarks & gluons. The smallest particles discovered yet.

I think there are an infinite number of charges besides the positive and negative charge. Of course the charge closest to magnetic north (relative positive or negative) May yield the strongest pull. But i think charges vary and can even pivot in their strength.

A sound is a vibration. And genetic sequences are not intrinsically a vibration. The sequence itself is just information.

But it's easy to convert information into a sound. You can do that by one scientist shouting a genetic sequence across the lab to another.

If genetic characters operate with magnetic pull, then it contradicts the notion that it would not emit some kind of sound. Where there is magnetism there is magnetic charge, where there is magnetic charge, there is vibration, where there is vibration there is sound.

@SleddRider :-) I need to feel inspired to come lol

• Perhaps every charge goes through it’s own cycle, like a clock with 4 quadrants.

Perhaps charges age like isotopes. The half-life of a charged particle. If it were true it would likely depend on the source, albeit natural or artificial.

• If every living thing, humans included, emits a tune onto itself, specific only to its genetic code.