working sucks

edited March 2023 in General

i’ve been an entrepreneur my whole life but due to inflation slowing everything down i had to get my first big girl job. i’m lucky enough to be working from home and making a decent pay check but in spite of that i still find myself hating it 🙄🙄 can anyone share tips on how to change my mindset or maybe make it more fun. i should also add i’m still training and have been for the last 6 weeks so that might have something to do with my feelings

Comments

• edited March 2023

Since time immemorial people have sung while doing boring jobs, so try singing.

Always take pride in your work, whatever you are doing. Do it well, and always go at least 1% above and beyond. This has numerous psychological advantages, not least that it puts you on top of the job rather than underneath it.

Remember that somebody, somewhere, would give their eye teeth for that job.

Jobs like this aren't supposed to be fun. That's a bonus if it happens: expecting a job to be fun is like expecting a chair to taste nice. It's up to you to find fun in it, or around it, or in how you do it, or with the people you work with (although that's tricky if you're on your own, obviously).

You're lucky to have it. You were in a hole and this job is the ladder. When it's done its part in your life, you'll be able to pass it on to somebody who needs it more than you.

Identify the things about it you like the least. Think about why you dislike those aspects. Then you can do things like tweak how you approach those aspects, or indeed tweak your attitude to them.

Improvements multiply, not add. So if you can find four things that each make doing the job 2% nicer, you are not 8% better off you are 16% better off.

You hate it. So what? Doesn't actually matter unless you let it eat away at you.

You say you hate it, and I believe you. But consider the possibility that that isn't what's happening at all. Perhaps you hate what it represents or means.

• @CuddleDuncan thank you that’s great advice , i’m working in insurance so i keep telling myself that i’m helping people so that kind of helps. and i’ll try singing once training is over and i no longer have to be on camera 😂

• @mimtheplantmom best thing to do is find a group of coworkers that have a similar mindset that you can gossip with hang out with talk shit about your job with etc. that will help a little bit but nothing cures the grind unless you get promoted to upper management where you can collect a big paycheck and not have to do anything for it except for maybe delegate other tasks to people below you.

• edited March 2023

Wfh for a decent paycheck? Sounds like a win. I too hate my job but we all gotta make money somehow.

Ive gone 3 years without answering my desk phone, only returning messages. and here i am still employed and getting promotions.

Welcome to the working world.

• @lonelytauros i actually have a few that i talk mess with every now and then lol, it does help knowing my coworkers feel the same. and management definitely has it easy!

• @dialthegate im in customer service so answering the phone is literally my whole job 😂😂

• Remember that somebody, somewhere, would give their eye teeth for that job.

That is some 1950s bs there. Here in the USA we have a labor shortage because a good chunk of the country is willfully unemployed because so many of the jobs are pure crap.

If anything the advice should be work smarter. The world is different now.

• Do something you would do even if your were not getting paid. Getting paid to do what you like. According to your needs and budget.
    Also if what you are doing now allows you to move into what you would enjoy more within the same company figure it out and do it.
    But also be respectful of the work that people did before you to put you in position to live more freely.
    Hard work. Humility. Patience.

• If work was fun we would be paying them....lol.

I don't know if you can, but flex your day if possible. Work a couple hours, then do errands, work out, etc. Getting stuff done in the personal life makes doing the work fine.

• I'm self employed and WFH, I found it can be isolating and depressing. So now I have multiple bird feeders and crows who visit me daily. It helps boost my mood and brings me peace. Be sure to stretch and give yourself some time for exercise even if it's just a brief walk. Also blue light blocker glasses if you're going to look at a screen like I do all day. I got a 6 pack on Amazon for $10.

Even if you don't need to go into an office create a routine for yourself so you don't slip into a rut where you ignore self care. Every morning I walk my dog, feed my birds and make myself a latte before diving into my work. It's a peaceful way to start my day.

Sometimes I'll video chat with friends who also WFH so I feel less isolated. ☺️

• @Rezz i actually love the isolation lol weirdly enough, i feel like if i had to see some of these ppl in person and have the leave the house everyday i would hate this job even more 😂 and i have a bird feeder and stray cat hotel outside on my patio lol i love seeing them come by to get their snacks, it definitely is a nice mood booster and a nice distraction

• edited March 2023

Remember that somebody, somewhere, would give their eye teeth for that job.

_

That is some 1950s bs there. Here in the USA we have a labor shortage because a good chunk of the country is willfully unemployed because so many of the jobs are pure crap.

I was actually thinking about somebody in a refugee camp somewhere. Perhaps I should have made that clear. I don't know anything about the current US labour market. (I did once, but it was a long time ago.)

If anything the advice should be work smarter.

That is always sound advice.

• @Rezz and @mimtheplantmom I would be so scared to WFH due to a need to be around people to avoid depression. I do yoga 5 times a week as an emotional release. It would be great for a WFH worker.

• It seems like kind of a luxury to not start working your first big-girl job til you are 24. Regardless, when your job sucks, it sucks. I think @CuddleDuncan's thoughts are good and could help. It will take time. For sure, move around as much as possible. Stand part of the time; sit in an awkward position. It seems like not being too physically comfortable helps.

• As someone who has worked 60+ hours a week for decades in my career I find it comes down to just a few things.

1 is the pay compensation adequate for the hours?

2 am I allowed to use my best judgment in circumstances that I deal with in the real world. Or am I gonna be dictated to by someone sitting in a chair in another state?

3 Does this allow me to work as I do best, alone and night shift?

4 Am I going to be allowed to take time off when necessary without a fight for personal things and just a break every now and then?

If the answers to the above questions are yes, then i'm fairly happy and don't need much more.

My hours and work schedule would probably drive anyone else but loners like myself absolutely nuts. But it works for me and I have been very lucky to have found such a compatible career for my needs.

• @KYtransplant I've always thought you were fortunate, but you work your behind off too.

• @mimtheplantmom I try to just focus on the parts I like. I love meeting with clients and knowing that I’ve helped them and I really enjoy the cuddling and conversation. I really don’t like bookkeeping or marketing or writing emails etc. But I have to remember that I have to do the boring stuff in order to do the fun stuff. I’m not sure what your new job is but if there’s any aspect that you like try to focus on that part.

• thank you all for the advice 💜💜

• edited March 2023

Be thankful that you can work; some people can only dream of having a job. Set small trainable goals for yourself. Think of your clients and how you are making their day.

• I would think it will get better once the training is over, hang in there.
    There is pro’s and cons to both working for yourself or a company.
    I have always been a hands on Motörhead and started as a trainee in the marine industry working on boat engines and really liked I what I did and worked very hard at it and worked myself up to the owner of my own boat sales and service dealership.
    But it worked out very well for me but I seen many fail and went broke also.
    I have found you have to like what you are doing, in my younger years I quite very good paying jobs just because I got to hating my job. My thoughts have always been it’s not just about the money, if you hate the job then it’s not worth it in the long. Best of luck to you

• I'm wfh. Setting up hard boundaries of your end time and time with humans you actually want to interact with outside of work hours gives you something to look forward to. You are a houseplant, give yourself enough rest, sunshine and actually take breaks for lunch.

• If you're working from home you're lucky, lots of people would like to not have to spend commute time, gas, or be with toxic coworkers, etc. If you're feeling lonely, then find ways to connect with others in the evenings through your community or hobbies.

• @achetocuddle true. But I don't mind putting in the time when everything else is such a good fit for me.

I would prefer less rain and extreme temperatures swings that I have been contending with lately.

I have an ideal operating range. I haven't been there consistently for several weeks now unfortunately.

• @KYtransplant makes sense.

mimi, like cudbud said, don't skip lunch! A midday meal is not a luxury, it's partly fuel to keep your brain right and therefore your mood up as much as possible. Not a big plate of pasta or something out of a wrapper, ok? Maybe make it the night before and put it on a pretty plate, even if it's paper.

• Tough to comprehend on my end. I started babysitting as a business at 13, got my first job at 16 and worked 2 jobs while taking 4 college classes. I did take 5 years off work to be home when we had a 3rd child- that was a financial decision because of child care cost. Back to work & then a few years later back to school as a single mom and working. The internship part was the worst! Working there for no pay, working my regular job and the kids. I didn't have a day off for over 3 months!! But it was all worth it in the end. Believe me, that I can't wait to retire, but I have at least 20 years before that can happen. I haven't really thought about it from the other side. So is it better to have dealt with the working world from a young age, or to have had the time to enjoy life a little more during younger years but have to deal with the slap of work life you're not accustomed to? There's probably an in-between somewhere that's healthier than either of those options.

• Make a vision board of the things you want to accomplish for yourself through the job. Then you will be working towards your goals there and not just the goals that your employer sets for you and that should help make it more rewarding for you 🙂

• Not working sucks pretty bad too.

• @achetocuddle i don’t skip lunch ever 😂😂 but i do need to get better at eating a real meal so thank you for mentioning that. , it’s usually a quick ramen or sandwich so i can lay down and rest a little before having to clock back in

@Lisa123 my business (hair braiding) sustained me enough to be able to have my own place car plus travel occasionally before it started to slow down. i never expected to join the actual work force i expected to just keep building my business, eventually own my own salon. lol so i guess for me the best option for me would’ve been to keep making enough to be an entrepreneur for the rest of my life. 🤷🏽‍♀️ but you’re amazing for having done all that with children 🙌🏽🙌🏽

@RelCuddles thats actually an amazing idea lol i mostly keep writing little notes and doodles about how much i hate it 😂 something more positive like a vision board would help shift my mindset

• @cudbud64 yes i am a little houseplant lol 😆 i actually stood in the sun for like 15 minutes yesterday and my whole day instantly got better

• @mimtheplantmom I try to work near windows whenever I can! And you're a plant mom, you have to lead by plant example!