Are you a night person or morning person?

edited August 2023 in General

I am totally a night person. One of my jobs is an overnight job and I'm thankful I've found it bc I've spent my whole life trying to conform to a 9-5 day schedule and it's always sucked. Getting off at 5pm has its perks, but the first couple hours of an early morning feels like someone is pulling my intestines out one strand at a time.

What do you think are the origins of day/night people? Maybe farmers and hunters were early risers. Night watchmen probably had to stay alert in the late hours and maybe use their imagination to stay awake. Thoughts?

Comments

• I have to leave for work by 7am so I'm normally up by the awful time of 6am. It's kinda stuck with me all week now. I enjoy a decent lie-in but that usually only lasts until like 7 or so 😅

• @DaveTheBrit Morning person! are you alertnor in a better mood or more productive in the morning? or just prefer the schedule ?

• Nights! Been on them almost exclusively since 2004.

In this weather it's easier to work when the sun is not beating down on me.

The rest of the year I'd be fine if day shift started at noon.

• Morning person!

• Whatever I need to be. Right now I work 6 AM to 230. I’ve worked all three shifts. If I’m not working, I tend to be more of a night person.

• Morning person!

• I don't think it makes me more productive...dont think anything does haha! It's nice to get certain things done early morning before everyone else gets up though 🙂

• I've heard differing opinions on what it means to be a morning person. Some have said that it means someone who prefers waking up early. Others say enjoyment is irrelevant, and it's only a matter of if you can function for the first two hours of the day or not. 😄 Personally, I've always been fully awake as soon as I wake up...and I am not a coffee drinker. I prefer not to sleep the day away, but I also love the cooler temperatures of night. 😌

I've fluctuated greatly in different phases of life.

As a kid, I used to be sent to bed even though I was wide awake and would beg to clean my room. Go figure. That night owl energy lasted all through my teens, when I would stay up late talking to my friends online, or reading a good book until dawn.

When I started working and had a crazy schedule, I could be awake, or fall asleep, anytime, as needed, be it getting up at 3:30 A.M. or working until 10:00 P.M. My ability to be flexible with my sleep schedule carried on for many years, this way.

Then I finally got a regular 8:00 to 5:00 job, and it has turned me into a permanent boring middle-aged person. 🤣 I struggle to stay awake past 10:00, after seven or eight years of that consistent schedule, even though I've been off it for a few years and have flexibility again, now. Sad but true.

Happy to see you engaged again, dearest @cylee1180! 🐐

~ Sunset Snuggles

• I’m a morning person. If I don’t get enough sleep, I’m tired by about 3pm, and can’t stay awake to drive, if it’s for any distance at all. When I was in high school, I’d do my homework and be in bed about 8:30pm. I like my sleep.
    I can be very productive in the morning. Not so much at night though.

• edited August 2023

I think it might relate to the part of the earth you actually belong to. I’m a night person generally but Ive found I fluctuate. I sometimes wondered if it was relative? If it means I’m simply a morning person in Japan or Russia? Or would I become a night person there as well? I would tell my friends I might be a night person here, but if I was working virtually for a company in Dubai, they’d consider me their earliest riser.

It might also be linked to the circadian rhythm in some way, telling you where you are in your health or your lifetime, where you are in the curve of the cycle, the heartbeat of the cycle. Every couple million years the earth is expected to flip on its axis, perhaps we flip on our axis every couple months or weeks as it relates to our morning/night person internal clock.

• @PrettyLuv Yours is by far the best explanation because people like to think they are special in some way by being one or the other but I think everyone adjusts, fluctuates, and adapts to when they wake up and it is really nothing more than the human body being a biological marvel that is not cemented to any one thing. However I am perplexed why people like putting themselves in a box and saying I am x and that is who I am. Kind of takes away the mystery in discovering a person with each new day if they are already defined.

• @PrettyLuv Super interesting concepts! Fly to Australia and let us know! For science. 🦘

When I worked remotely, I was given carte blanche with my schedule, but I chose to continue working the same hours I always had, in Mountain Time, whether I was in Eastern Time, Central, or Pacific, as I traveled. In some time zones that was lovely, as I would wake up naturally and have hours to lounge, shower, and hang out in a beautiful park before starting work. In other time zones, it was tough because it meant getting up when it was pitch black and immediately starting work. Very fascinating stuff.

~ Sunset Snuggles

• I say I am a night person but really I am a middle of the day person between like 12 and 6 or 7pm. I’m exhausted the rest of the time. At night Im a screen zombie and I sleep as much as possible in the morning.

• In the summer im a night person, when its colder definitely a daytime person.

• It depends... generally I'm more of an evening/ night person, but take me camping and I'm up singing songs before the rest of the camp has had their coffee...

• Both, I sleep about 4 hours a day, 1-5am. I get up ready to go and literally force myself to go to bed/sleep. I annoy people by being so chipper in the morning and so alert and happy well into the night. 😊 (I have worked all shifts and was fine on all of them.)

• @AllAboutSoul How nice! I'd like to be like that. I want to need just 4 hours of sleep and be up all the morning hours and half of the night ones. I love to sleep but I wish I could be awake at all the different times of the day.

• Night person

• Sleep is B.S.

• @achetocuddle, it can be good or bad. I have to constantly remember that not everyone has my flexibility or craziness. Lolol

• I work in the morning, but ai can definitely say I've always been more of a night person. Adjusting has been rough, but I try my best. I don't know how the morning folks do it lol

• [Deleted User]CharlesInWI (deleted user)

I am one of the rare humans that can't sleep, and doesn't need, more than 4 hours per day of sleep.

So, both?

• All about waking up at 3am 😁☺️☺️

• [Deleted User]bbwcuddler888 (deleted user)

Night all the way

• Morning. I'm so old. Hahaha I wake up at 5am daily so it's very hard to stay up late and do any sessions or anything. 😬

• I’m more of a morning person. I’m one of those annoying people who can jump up and be obnoxiously energetic at 7 AM. As I get older, it’s less common that I’m up past 10 PM, but I can do it, no problem, for special occasions.

• edited August 2023

@SunsetSnuggles Thanks 🐐. Much appreciated.
    Nothing wrong w boring and middle aged. as I mature, I appreciate boring more and more. lol. it's dependable and it's not too stressful.

@Mike403 @CharlesInWI Cant sleep? does it mean you're woke? lol

I envy morning people bc you can get stuff done before the day starts.

But , as a night person I have my best ideas, my most peaceful moments (no errands, no phone calls, no running around), and deepest moments after midnight.

Cheers.

• Morning person! 👋 I’m useless after 4PM. Unless there’s cuddling involved!!

• Night person. It's hard to sleep when it's dark out. Much easier when it's light out.