Shows or videos that absolutely destroyed you

edited September 2023 in General

So I have been having a grand ole time recently with my emotions and all that for reasons entirely beyond any rational reasoning, which happens from time to time and is always fun. I just started the new season of Only Murders in the Building and it has Meryl Streep in it and my gosh they pull out this musical number that just floored me and reduced me to a sobbing mess. It felt pretty good actually and I am glad to have contributed to what I can only assume to be hundreds of repeat plays across YouTube and Spotify. I’ll put it in a spoiler tag below for anyone interested, but the purpose of this post is to see what videos (edit: or songs) you all have had a similar reaction to. My tear ducts are already working overtime so please feel free to share.

Comments

• The ending of Toy Story 3. 🥺

Inside Out, when a character is forgotten. 🥺

And for some bizarre reason, I absolutely lost it at the end of La Bamba. 🥺

~ Sunset Snuggles

• Most recently for me was the movie Hidden Figures.

• The episode "Wilson's Heart" from the show 'House'. I nearly drowned to death in my own tears because I was watching it while laying down and started ugly crying.

• The last episode of the good place. You have to watch it all to understand it though.

• This is an interesting thread. Especially since I cry from scenes of movies and TV, and usually don’t in real life. Every time there’s a usually sad moment I can sometimes tear up or cry.

• edited September 2023

This music video affects me more than anything else.

Local Natives - You & I

• The Greatest Showman

• The OA on Netflix. Is you’re into inter-dimensional existence and the like, the show is a standout. It was cancelled, like most, after the second season.

• I often cry at movies, especially if they have to do with people parting or reuniting (because of all the hellos and goodbyes I have every month with my kid).

• Only one movie got me to cry,
    Princess and the Frog.
    When Ray the firefly dies and becomes a star.

• Mystic River when Penn’s character realizes the body in the ditch is his daughter.

• edited September 2023

I don’t get emotionally destroyed by shows or movies the way that songs can take me a part with a screwdriver.

Elliot Smith decided to end his life and that hopelessness can be felt through every part of this song. When Mikaela Davis does it on the harp it’s even more haunting and leaves me heartbroken; makes me wish he had found a way out of his nosedive and found peace among the living.

• [Deleted User]Concordiaesque (deleted user)

Years and years ago, I was watching Torchwood and was absolutely gutted, sobbing uncontrollably. Not sure if I would feel the same now on a re-watch. Funny twist though, I met Gareth David Lloyd and am usually daft about knowing what to say to people, so of course I said the first thing that popped into my head, "I'm so sorry you died!" facepalm but he had a good laugh and Kai Owen kissed me :o

Much to @Syins point, It's very rare nowadays to make such good quality shows/movies that you really get invested in the characters and I notice there's usually a lot of manipulation with the choice of score - because it's mostly music that moves people...an incredibly interesting experiment is to watch Legend - the UK and US versions have different soundtracks/editing making for completely different feels.

• edited September 2023

No music needed for this one. This one will make you cry over repeated viewings for this scene.

• If we are talking songs,
    Creep by Radiohead always got me cause that's exactly how I felt!
    But I've grown and worked om myself in therapy that I can listen to it without crying or getting depressed

• @Jova114 first of all hugs; I also feel this way.

My favorite and the most gut wrenching cover of it is this one by Homeless Mustard:

• @Concordiaesque - OMG, yes to 'Torchwood'!

• @Syins
    Bring it in! (((Hugs)))

That was a good cover. He has this pain in his voice that you can really feel

• This one… 😢😢😢😢🥺🥺🥺😭😭😭

• @Jova114 I've always found ‘creep’ melancholy and oddly up lifting. Kinda feels like people aren’t alone in their feelings. There’s an amazing cover of it I’ll have to send you the link. Unless it will make you sad then I won’t.

• Call Me By Your Name.

The movie is amazing, but I was finishing this book between Phoenix and SFO and I ugly cried for an hour. Thank Thor's abs that I had the aisle to myself and sob to myself.

• @stormydaycuddle
    I can see that being an affect of the song. When I first heard it I was in a real bad place mentally. I could of been surrounded by loved ones but would still feel alone.

But now I appreciate the song for a reminder of that chapter and how I overcame it!
    So please, id love it if you shared the link

• This is Us gives me all the feels. I haven't finished the last season and it's been months. Always watch alone so no one sees me lol

• @BoomerSpooner OMG!! I've never seen that movie, but I watched your clip! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

@KaaGee I surprisingly didn't cry that much during This Is Us, except the episode where Randall went to his mom's old house and "met" her in the lake. And of course, the last episode. 😭😭😭

• @KaaGee

Oh yeah. I just started This is Us; Only saw the first episode. It was so emotional and just great story telling too. I kind of saw where it was going but I found myself just enjoying it rather than trying to guess what would happen next.

• "them" on Amazon "cat in a bag" scene destroyed me, but also disturbed me for weeks on end. So did the documentary "The trials of Gabriel Fernandez". I had such an intense nightmare, I knocked everything off the nightstand and was convinced my lodgings were haunted.
    I just listen to Cohen if I want something to cry to.

• Most recently the ending of Professor Marston and the Wonder Women made me cry, what a fantastic beautiful film.

One member of the throuple dies young from cancer, the other two continue their family on together for decades until the ends of their own lives. Based on a real story and the best example of polyamory in media I've seen yet.

When Rose

was pounding the wall after being trapped in a separate dimension cut off from The Doctor and had no way back.

Everything about Black Mirror episode San Junipero. What a gorgeous, strange, lovely piece of television. I listen and cry to its soundtrack periodically.

On the darker side, The Road fucked me up good. Especially the part when

the protagonists strip that lone survivor guy and leave him alone in the elements with nothing... literally nothing to fend for himself with.

• A few weeks ago I watched Million Dollar Baby with Clint Eastwood. It was released in 2005 but I had never seen it before. I didn’t actually cry but I felt like I had been punched in the gut because I was completely blindsided by how the movie ended and by the side story involving his daughter. The movie had incredible acting, character development and story telling.

• Most recently it was the limited Netflix series ‘Unbelievable’, partly because it’s based on a true story and because it’s so real.

Sleepers - the ending when they show what happened with Marcano’s life.

Lost Boys - when Sutherland’s body dies and returns back to its human self.

Boyz in the Head - when ice cube is walking towards his home and fades away.