Any Virtual Reality enthusiasts in here?

The Meta Quest 3 comes out soon and looking forward to it.

1. Do you own a VR headset?51 votes
    1. Yes
      37.25%
    2. No
      43.14%
    3. No, but I plan to.
      19.61%

Comments

• I would be more into it if it didn't give me a headache or make me nauseous lol
    Even some video games, the way the camera moves gets me :/

• @Jova114 - If the camera in VR moves when you're not physically moving, it confuses your body by getting conflicting information from your sense and may make you feel sick. (your body probably believes you've been poisoned or something)

Stay away from VR roller coasters for now...lol

The more you experience VR, the more your body gets used to it and you'll eventually feel less nauseous over time.

• I’ve played with it a few times. I enjoyed it. I just haven’t had time to play games much.

• Oh wow.
    Thanks @Mike403
    I will keep that in mind
    😊

• [Deleted User]CharlesInWI (deleted user)

Honestly, it makes as much sense that we already ARE in a virtual reality as any other description of existence.

• I'm more interested in virtual unreality.

• I borrowed one of my friends VR set for a while. No matter how hard I try and how frequent I try to keep up with it to get used to it, it always gives me a splitting headache that lasts the rest of the day into the night. I remember I was playing a game where I ran off of a waterfall. My body thought I was falling to my death, I got horrible butterflies, sweats and a headache so bad it lasted for two days.

Is it cool? Absolutely. Can I play it comfortably? Absolutely not. Well, for like 10-15m I can. I wish it were different for me because I love games you can draw a bow and slash a sword in!

• edited September 2023

I love VR, though I mainly use it for exercise right now. I am really looking forward to improvements made to the headsets to reduce the barn door effect because that is the main thing that takes me out of it.

• @Mike403 yes!

I like the active games the best like BeatSaber, Vader Immortal (the lightsaber dojo is so fun), The Climb 1 & 2. There’s one that came with the Quest2 called Pirate Trainer or something? It’s a fun shooter game.

Puzzle games are fun like The Room.

Tripp is great for meditation and relaxing.

I still haven’t figured out how to not screw up my neck while playing it. I was in a bad car accident 11 years ago and VR sometimes f**ks with it.

What do you like to play/experience?

• @ShaneSchrute - No native Quest titles for awhile but I have been enjoying Microsoft Flight Simulator in VR. You need a powerful gaming PC and tether the headset to it.

• Yes, Walkabout Mini Golf is one of the best games ever made. Amazing course design, great physics, charming visuals and music. I also like Beat Saber and Synth Riders but usually prefer something more lowkey.

• @Charlie_Bear when the action is moving enough I don’t notice it that much. Anything slow like a puzzle game does take me out of it.

@Mike403 oh yeah I have a friend with a lot of time and gets obsessive about his builds who made a whole cockpit setup for himself. Pretty wild. The graphics look amazing. But there are no lightsabers in that one. ;)

I wish it was lighter because it’s not enjoyable to sit and watch a whole movie with a brick strapped to my head.

Will you guys buy the Apple Vision Pro when they release it? I think the price is silly and it’s so over designed to me. But I might just fall in love with it if I ever used it.

• @Charlie_Bear ~ What is "the barn door effect"?

• @quixotic_life - Usually called the screen door effect. It's when the resolution of the picture isn't nearly as good as real life and it looks like you're looking through a screen door.

• [Deleted User]MavReborn (deleted user)

Beat saber and Walkabout mini golf is my jam!!! :D

• edited September 2023

@quixotic_life
    Yeah it’s called the screen door effect as @Mike403 said, I’m dumb 😂

My favorite VR title is Walkabout Mini Golf, followed by Beat Saber.

Edit: Oh wait no I am actually thinking of something else. Gotta find it.

Edit 2: Ok I think it’s just the field of view. There is this black circle around the edges of the display because the headsets doesn’t display as wide of a field of view as our eyes are capable of. I have heard it referred to as the barn door effect, I guess because if you were in a barn, the open doors would prevent you from seeing more when looking outside (no idea if that’s it). I can’t find any references to it named that though. I remember in the game Arizona Sunshine, you go into this pitch black mine shaft and you only have your flash light as a source of light, so the field of view limitations were gone and it felt so real…it was cool and very scary 😅

• Lol ~ At first I was thinking perhaps it's that they're really heavy so maybe it was for a game that really gets into your psyche.

Or that since barndoors are slow to move, it may be eluding to elements of the game that are programmed to be heavier than one might anticipate (harder to move about or perhaps move in an overly sluggish manner compared with other things in the environment).

Then I considered how they're creaky and maybe it's that some headsets might make a creaky noise when moving your head about.

But I never got to field of view, which totally makes sense!!

To be fair though, looking out through a barn door, there are often dust particles whirling about that also create a veiled, sort of looking through a screen, type of effect (just not as shifty as when through screening). Anywho, it was fun to consider and kick around the potential meaning for a minute. 🤪

Still, @Charlie_Bear & @Mike403, thank you for clarifying!!

• I just pre-ordered the Quest 3 for a October 10th delivery.

• I never really tried VR and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

• @Lovelight - VR is cool all the way around. You don't even have to be a gamer to appreciate it. You can go on virtual trips and the headset fools your eyes and brain into thinking you're there. Each eye looks at a slightly different picture giving you depth perception.

One time I literally fell over by trying to lean on a desk that wasn't actually there.

• @Mike403 Sounds interesting. Damn I hope you were okay! :)

• This game is included right now with all Quest 3 pre-orders. It looks incredible.

• 30 minutes of VR then it's headache time!

Lawnmower Man is in your head now.

• edited October 2023

A new feature on the Quest 3 is Mixed Reality where the cameras on the front scans your living space and it blends the real and virtual worlds together. One new title coming out for it is a zombie game where they are breaking into your actual house. Yeah, that's not going to give people nightmares.

• @Mike403 Did they get that right? Quest 2 kinda has it. But not many titles take advantage of it. Tripp uses it sort of. But it’s bad.

• @ShaneSchrute - Not sure how would work on the Quest 2 since the passthrough is only in black and white and looks terrible.

• @Mike403 yes, 100% bad.
    Tripp uses it for the sanctuary/meditation space where you can put collected virtual items on your real furniture and see it partially in both worlds. But it’s really like the worst of both worlds. 😄

• @ShaneSchrute - This is what it looks like now:

• edited October 2023

@Mike403 wow! That looks amazing! However, I fear a new breed of bullies rising up to torment kids running around the park like wild animals with computers on their faces.

• [Deleted User]DaveJA (deleted user)

I'll be getting one some day. We'll see. It's just not reasonable right now.