Northern friends

Currently in Chicago and absolutely dying. How do yall survive this cold? 🥶

Comments

• edited January 15

Looks like @JasminCuddles has some great ideas and resources! Maybe you all should cuddle up! 😊😊😊 Or get that Chicago Meet Up going.

https://www.cuddlecomfort.com/forum/discussion/19007/local-resources-services-severe-weather#latest

WOW we are close to your severity but not quite the same without all that water around you....

COLORADO M.L.King DaySnow likely, mainly before 3pm. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a steady temperature around -3. Wind chill values as low as -23. North wind 8 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

CHICAGO M.L.King DayMostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 0. Wind chill values as low as -26. West southwest wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

In Colorado we say LAYERS!!!

• One can never underestimate the impact a thick scarf and a festive beanie has in the cold weather! Covering up your neck, ears, and head are great ways to keep the blood in your body nice and toasty. <3

• @sillysassy tbh my true game plan once I get gas and pick up this walmart order is to stay hidden in my hotel room until its time to go home 🤣

@lesmis33 We don't get weather like this in STL. I wasnt prepared to forget how to breathe every time I stepped outside😂

• Sometimes poetry can help…hence:

• @OhioMike I think that poem is the most beautifuly accurate thing I've read this week 😂

• By respecting it!

• @hey_nikky It is sooooo cold and ChiTown is my hometown. ❤️☺️🥰🤗

A few smaller tips.
    Biggest tip outside when I walked in brutal cold to my college campus from my ice cold 1800s Victorian chilly home ….. (those house heating system
    Was ancient!)

Those hand warmers wrap in a sock/fabric duct tape or pin to shirt and put in your armpit when venturing out. It will keep you warmer than not.
    Also place in your shoes.
    Family would make microwaveable pouches filled with uncooked rice.
    Wool socks were cut into extra sleeves over my gloves.
    My fav upon coming back inside was a blow dryer to warm me and dry some of my gear because those space heaters were outta my college day price range. 😂

Inside-
    Ensure a slow water drip in all the pipes and warm the pipes by opening cabinet under sinks and wrap pipes in old clothes is you can. Frozen water pipes are no fun.

Cover all drafts.

Dress in layers.

Have your “Book It/Disaster bag” ready ALWAYS for every reason and season and a paper 🗺️ and compass. Lights meds logistics water food ect.

When you don’t have access to electricity or the Internet, you’re gonna really want to know how to move if need be and where you need to go and what direction etc. and also have the old-school radio walkie-talkies because those are also going to be helpful.

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/fss/provdrs/serv/svcs/dfss_warming_centers.html

OEMC issues several alerts and notifications to keep people up to date on weather conditions and emergencies.

Notify Chicago: Sign up for emergency alerts at www.NotifyChicago.org
    CHILAKE: For lakefront notices including flooding, TEXT “CHILAKE” to 7-8-0-1-5
    COVID: Get COVID-19 updates by TEXTING “COVID19” to 6-7-2-8-3
    CHIBIZ: Business updates, TEXT “CHIBIZ” to 6-7-2-8-3

Know your local Office of emergency management and their website.

Stay in touch hourly or 30 minutes with family. I do this with mine and have not slept much over the past few days because we were making sure that they are safe and doing well especially at night when the temperature drops even worse in the winds pick up.

Stay warm, ready and in communication with family and local neighborhood trusted friends.

I am praying 🙏 for all my family and friends to stay safe and ready ICOE escalation.

• @hey_nikky oh dear. I am sorry to hear that. I still have all my east coast peacoats that served me very well in the below zero winter months, but I realize now that such attire is unnecessary for you where you generally live, much like it is for me now. :lol:

If funds permit, you might be able to rent some ski gear at a local winter sports store. If not, stay inside and try to keep a thermos of hot water with you. :grimace:

• These plug in heated food warmer pads are THE BEST. !

• Enjoy a snow day with a cuddler and stay tucked in bed under five blankets, in their arms, all dang beautiful day.

Hot chocolate, a black and white movie, late morning naps, and gratefulness to be alive in this era of modern technology.

🌬❄️🛏🫂☕️🎞😴🙏🏻

Tonight, we'll cook Asian food together, and ensure my SUV starts, armed with a remote starter, if need be.

~ Sunset Snuggles

🦄 Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

"Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man." ~ Benjamin Franklin

• edited January 15

I've made it back to the hotel after getting food and gas. I now refuse to leave again until Wednesday when I can drive home where it's a little bit warmer 😂

@SunshineHug that milk bottle is a must

@SunsetSnuggles that sounds so amazingly cozy

• I stay indoors 🤣 if I have to go outside, I make it quick.

• @greggerz smart man 😂

• edited January 15

Currently in Denver visiting and holy Satan pubes what the hell !! I keep hearing that it's a dry cold so not as bad . Negative 9 is negative 9, I don't care how dry it is. And this Alabama boy is having to goose step his way around cus I'm not used to walking in this thing called snow!

• @pmvines - I'm in Denver and did Grubhub food delivery over the weekend. Roads were dry for the most part (except the residential side roads) and I was in a warm car most of the time. Only outside to walk to and from the restaurant and to drop the food off...so it didn't bother me.

• The cold doesn’t even hit us until tomorrow I mean 80 hours below freezing but it’s going to hit like -3 with worse windchills. Southern boys aren’t made for this nonsense. Now today I have been snowed in for about 5-6 hours. I have eaten a weeks worth of snacks, scrolled through every movie ever on Netflix and still haven’t watched anything. I am slowly slipping away into madness.

• @Mike403 well if you have any deliveries at the downtown Homewood Suites between now and the 21st come say hi 👋

• @pmvines - I actively avoid the downtown area. Parking sucks.

• I got some decent tips last weekend. I Made $168.52 in 6 hours on Saturday and $121.37 in 6 hours on Sunday. I have a large dentist bill I'm trying to pay off right now.

• @SunshineHug has some good tips.

We got about 2 feet of snow over 2 storms spanning 5 days. Then the subzero temps plummeted. Been windchill of -25 to -35 the last several days. Been brutal. Luckily, I’ve had power, heat, Wi-Fi, and enough food.

I learned from maintenance coming by that paper towels and packing tape are an easy way to help reduce drafts along side window frames and patio doors. Add blinds and insulated curtains.

Fuzzy socks, pj pants, and long sleeve shirt are all I wear in my apartment. Multiple blankets on the bed. In the morning and different intervals during the day use a rectangular heating pad on my back while on the couch. Have a fuzzy blanket on couch then put heating blanket over the top that way you feel the soft fuzzy instead of thin electric blanket that you feel the coils in.

Lots of sleep. Been easier to sleep in later, go back to sleep after waking in the night, and nap.

Would loved to have a cuddle buddy for all day. That would have made things far more pleasant and better help pass the time. I figured if I wasn’t willing to brave the elements and poor condition roads, then I’m not willing to ask someone to do something I’m not willing to do. When it is a safety issue being out and exposed for just a few minutes at a time, I don’t want to risk someone getting stuck due to bad weather then be in a dangerous situation. Yes, cuddles are wonderful, but being safe in this severe environment is more important.

• @hey_nikky No way would I trade our cold in Colorado (currently -11) for Chicago cold... ever!! More humidity means it feels WAY colder and gets through your layers easier!! 🥶❄️

@pmvines So does that mean you're NOT looking to buy a house here? Cuz I know a good realtor....😂😂😂

• edited January 16

The average temperature of the universe is ~-455'F so it's positively balmy! Only joking, this kind of cold is scary if you're not prepared. Hot water bottles are great for warming up in bed, fill up a bottle with hot tap water and put it under the covers, it will keep your bed warm for several hours, also works great under a jacket if you need to be out and about. Lighting a few candles can also surprisingly warm up a room.

Edit: Source growing up in Yellowknife.

• Come on down! It’s not quite beach weather, but it’s not bad!

• @RedFox16 hmmm will said realtor also serve me coffee and waffles ? I could sure go for that.

• Colorado has been a chilly visit, indeed! Today was actually much warmer than yesterday, or the previous weekend.

~ Sunset Snuggles

🦄 Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

"Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man." ~ Benjamin Franklin

• These temps are crazy. I’ve been doing OK because I’ve only been out of the house or the car a few minutes here and there. I’m glad I don’t have to work outside in this weather like I used to. Plus now I’ve got Princess to snuggle with.

@SunshineHug great tips.

• @warm_embrace I'm hoping to make it to Tampa sometime soon! I'm jealous you have warmth there 😂

@RedFox16 the lake definitely makes a difference 😭😭

I went out to my car today and almost cried 😅

• It is one degree east of Nashville TN and I am not amused. Plus the roads are kinda slick. This weather can kiss my behind. At least I have a Sunbeam whole home humidifier and it really helps warm up the house. I have enough groceries to choke a horse, lol. I wear a hat and jacket indoors a lot right now because it is easier to get warm that way as opposed
    to turning the heat up more and that way the indoor air doesn't get too dry.

• I enjoy the cold, but it is rough working outside for about 9 to 10 hours when it is in the mid to low teens