What New Skill Are You Looking To Learn?

Hey there cuddlers;

I was wondering what new skills anyone is looking at learning? Also if anyone has any questions on a possible new skill other cuddlers could help out on?

I’ve been thinking about learning violin recently. If there are any musicians around who could give me any advice that would be welcome. Is it a fairly anti-social hobby?

I enjoy learning with people and it would be a shame to learn alone…especially as I have no musical experience!

Comments

• edited March 3

French

• Playing the guitar.

• @JET2024, playing the violin is a very social activity, if you want it to be. Takes a while to get to a good standard though. It's an instrument that turns up in a wide variety of genres, so you can find one that suits you and join a suitable band.

Look into the Suzuki Technique if you're interested in learning with others.

• I’d like to learn how to use ratchets. I tried changing out my car door handle. The video looked super easy, and it would’ve been if I had had experience with the tools.

• I want to learn to make my own website! I also want to learn to be a yoga teacher for curvy older people who might be new to the practice. Let’s see, what else…I like to go country line dancing believe it or not and I have about a million songs I’d like to learn the dance to.

• I’m wanting to learn to make bread and use my cricut that’s been collecting dust.

• Learn how to utilize optimum control algorithms to better understand micro/macro economic data analysis.

• I've been taking swim lessons the past few weeks.

• Nunchucks and camel husbandry

• @pmvines - not at the same time

• I’m looking to learn retirement sometime soon 😊😎

• I've been re-learning cursive writing recently. I never was happy with my cursive handwriting when I was in school, so I dropped it as soon as I graduated high school. My print handwriting was always much nicer. Recently, though, I had an idea for a project I want to someday do, and it involves writing in some kind of cursive script. I bought a couple of fountain pens and started having fun with them. Then I bought a set of lesson books for Spencerian penmanship and have been enjoying doing the practice exercises in them and playing around with different ways to make various letters.

Back when I was in school, I was far too rigid to allow myself to deviate from the "right" way of writing each letter. I think that's why my cursive was always so bad. I wouldn't let myself find forms that fit me and instead tried to force myself to use the forms that I was taught. Now I find myself sometimes staying up all night, completely engrossed in my writing practice. Something I used to hate is turning into an enjoyable recreational activity.

It'll be a long time before my cursive handwriting becomes what I want it to be for the project, but it's at least becoming passable, and I've gained a new joy.

• Someday, I would like to become skilled at glassblowing. I've done it for a few hours before, and it was phenomenal to accomplish a bucket list dream, but I would love to further my experience with it.

Currently speaking, a goal this year is to learn how to write a will, and get that taken care of, properly.

I bought a Kalimba awhile back, and would love to learn to play it better. Such a dreamy sound quality! 🥰

@JET2024 Love this topic!

@Mailleweaver That's just lovely. 😌 I never liked my handwriting, and it always seemed to strain my hand muscles, to write for any length of time. I think it was because I was focusing and pressing too hard. Best of luck with your fancy scripts!!

~ Sunset Snuggles

🦄 Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

• @SunsetSnuggles I have also always had to limit how much I write at any given time due to my hand cramping up. My fingers used to hurt from the pen/pencil pressing into it, and my hand in general would hurt from being too tense to make all of the little motions while also holding tightly onto the writing utensil. It's always been unfortunate since I enjoy making marks on paper, whether I'm writing something or drawing. Using a fountain pen helps a lot with having to hold tightly to the pen because it'll write with almost no pressure. Less pressure needed to write translates to a looser grip. The rest of it is being resolved by learning that most of the motions should actually come from my arm instead of my fingers. As I get better and better at using my arm instead of my fingers, my writing is looking more fluid and my hand is hurting less. I can write for a couple of hours, now, before the slightest discomfort starts to show up, and continue to write for hours more if I just take occasional breaks to let my fingers move around.

Getting a will together is definitely a good idea. I was very grateful that my dad had a clear and current will when he died a year and a half ago. It made things as easy as possible for me to distribute things where they needed to go without causing any strain with the rest of my family and without me having to dedicate energy I didn't have towards making those decisions. It's a hard time for everyone when someone dies, and having part of the arrangements already set in place takes a lot of that burden off so they can focus more on sorting out the emotional side of it.

• @JET2024

I've played cello for (oh gawd I feel old now) about 30 years now - with some long breaks due to traveling, pandemic, etc. It's similar to violin, though different enough I wouldn't feel comfortable teaching a complete beginner violinist. I have however coached and substitute taught orchestra classes.

I would not call violin anti-social, though it can be practiced and performed solo and playing in groups is not required. Violinists tend to be the most outgoing of the orchestral musicians, anecdotally. You'd at least need to find a teacher you vibe with to teach you the basics, correct your form, etc. While it is possible to be self-taught it can go badly if one isn't equipped for it and picks up bad habits. Also, part of the enjoyment for many with orchestral or symphonic instruments is the group playing experience, being able to learn harmony and experience the different energy dynamic that happens with ensemble. If playing in a group is something you'd be interested in, there's usually local community orchestras or country/folk bands that will take fairly green players, but you'd want the basics down at least.

I'd be happy to answer questions and discuss more in DM if you like 🙂

I've been debating going to massage therapy school for several years now, have toured a few of them and done initial applications, just haven't bit the bullet and enrolled. There's several reasons, but the biggest one has been financial burden - while I found out that one of the local nationally-acredited schools does federal student loans and other financial aid, I still have a shit ton of student loan debt from undergrad a decade ago. It's hard to justify getting further into debt for what may end up being just another ADHD hyperfocus hobby rather than a true career path. But on the pro side, I have the background in anatomy and kinesiology from dance, have some experience with sports massage and physical therapy from all my injuries, and it'd be one step towards transitioning out of the physicality of dance teaching that I just can't do any more. But massage therapy / physical therapy is still quite physically demanding, so the worry is there that my body won't be able to keep up :/ decisions, decisions.

• Thanks for the great responses everyone; especially @CuddleDuncan and @cuddlefaery for the violin advice.

@SunsetSnuggles have you seem ‘Blown Away’? Glassblowing competition show, it’s amazing.

• Keep putting it off for all sorts of reasons but I'm attempting to learn the Ocarina at some point. Not convinced it'll work out though like many other instruments before 😂

• Foraging for plants and herbs along with learning how to tan hides.

• My ADHD wants me to learn everything. Bread making (more specifically sourdough) is towards the top of my list. Actually I'd like to learn how to make all of the carbs. Pasta, tortillas, etc.
    I'm also hoping to get my sewing machine set up soon so I can start to improve those skills as well.

• @hey_nikky sourdough is actually easier than most make it out to be. The starter is far more resilient than say a houseplant or a cat 🤣 if you end up liking it, an adjacent hobby is kombucha brewing, as feeding and nurturing a SCOBY is similar.

• Ice cream making. I have some unique ideas for flavors, but want to learn how to make the best base first, then give pints as gifts.

• @Mailleweaver That's awesome! I think I definitely squeezed and pressed too hard, writing for school, and in my journals, growing up. Sounds like I need to relax, and read into the ergonomics of using my arm more than my wrist. Thanks! I also switched to all-printing, when I got my first job, as I was afraid my cursive wouldn't be legible to strangers. The only thing I ever write in cursive anymore is my signature.

I'm sorry about your dad. hugs And yes, I want to have everything in place so that it's as smooth as it can be, if needed...just because I'm "young" doesn't mean nothing can happen.

@JET2024 I haven't seen that show, but I've added it to my list, thanks!!

@cuddlefaery I don't know what a SCOBY is, but I'd happily feed and nurture a baby goat, if anyone's looking to offload one... 🥹

~ Sunset Snuggles

🦄 Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

• @cuddlefaery lately I'm not home enough for daily feedings for a new starter. That's the only thing holding me back.
    I'm in a few groups on fb and I have seen A LOT of people talk about kombucha as well.

@SunsetSnuggles I know some people with a goat farm/petting zoo on their land 👀

• I’d like to really learn pottery, something about working with the hands is so magical and satisfying.

• @velvetsnuggles I too would love to learn pottery. I love the sensory hands on activities. It’s just something about the clay feeling I enjoy !

• I'd love to learn how to be able to master sweep picking and pinch harmonics on guitar, how to have my voice as big and sustained as a professional opera singer, more coding such as getting better at Java, SQL, Javalin, JDBC, Spring, Python, JavaScript, C++, C #.
    Oh also how to write the perfect resume and master interviews without being nervous. 😅 That seems to always mess me up.

• @hey_nikky I did brew kombucha for a while, it was pretty low maintenance once it was established.

Personally trying to learn rock climbing. I've been attempting it for a while, but my technique is still pretty bad. Lot's of wasted movement and extra effort just to get up some of the easier problems.

• @DallasKale I've heard it's good for you but I'm terrified to try it. I'm so picky lol

My ADHD gifted me a new hyperfixation. I need to learn piano.

• I want to be a sheep herder

• I want to be a sheep herder

Go to any political convention and practice.