Weird topic, but thoughts on rollerskating?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]01001000P (deleted user)

• @BeteNoir Thanks for the idea. I just got back from buying some blades and spending a couple hours on them. I managed to bruise an elbow, but it was just as much fun as I'd hoped it would be. Totally worth a few bruises. Next time I'll remember to take my elbow pads with me, though.

• DON'T DO IT!!! I took my 12 year old nephew last year and I'm DEFINITELY NOT 12 years old anymore!! :o

• @great_pillow08 Haha! It certainly does take a lot of energy. I think the past 9 months of dance lessons and spending most of almost every Friday in the studio practicing my dancing and juggling (picking up dropped balls) gave my legs a head-start to getting back in good enough shape for skating. I found out today that skating uses some muscles differently, but the ones that do the most work are still the same. I'm hopeful that my legs won't be too sore tomorrow to do some more skating. The muscles right next to my shins are the only ones with any soreness so far.

• Ermagherd, you're somewhat local to me and I LOVE skating! I'd totes meet in the middle and skate with ya. 💜

• Ermahgerd, therz reller skerts gler in the derrrrk

• I keep my skates in my truck on purpose!
    I got a close group of my friends to go skating every month for a year with a different theme!
    Onesies
    Inflatables (yes we did!)
    50s
    20s
    70s
    Disney
    And many more! 🤣

• @JillianCuddles i love that!!! I wish I had that near me.

• @Hollydollhugs I wish you did too! I have to drive over 100mi to get to one 😬 …but it’s worth it! 😆

• There’s only one roller skating ring in San Diego, California, they have adult nights on Tuesday when I forget what the other night sorry if there are any specific ones, but I love skating so much, I am terrible, but I have such a ball doing it! 🥰💋💕
    I don’t know how to use my skates to stop but other than that I do have great rhythm 😁🦋😉
    Skating is very cool very fun and very attractive. If someone hasn’t gone skating, they definitely should try as soon as possible if it’s not dangerous to their health in anyway. 💕🥰

• I used to love roller skating, though I never got good at it.

• I love skating as a child! Me and my white care bear skates had a fabulous time zipping around SoCal. Sadly, my 47 year old self has had spine surgery and one good fall would be the end of a lot of other fun activities for me. I’ll live vicariously through you all!🤗

• I loved roller blading (street hockey) and roller skating (at the skating rink). Those were the days. If I ever manage to get myself back into shape I would love to skate. …or I should skate now to lose weight…hmmm 🤔

• When I was a teen I would get a rope behind my Grandpa's pickup with rollerblades on the asphalt road. Pretty bumpy but fun. He never did tell me how fast he was driving 🤔. My feet felt tingly afterwards from the vibration.

• Thank you guys for the trip down memory lane. In my 20's I went rink skating several times a week. It was a source of exercise, and my main social outlet. Back then there were rinks with wonderful hardwood floors that were a full city block in size. People went so fast that to stand next to the edge you felt a brisk breeze from the people going by. I used to be one of those people speeding around the floor. Unfortunately, as I got older, my knees, specifically my ACL could not handle the stress of pushing off on quad skates. I developed a chronic knee issue that has sadly forced me to hang up my skates. I hope rink skating remains something that young people can continue to enjoy. And I hope it sees resurgence periodically so that every generation gets to know the joy of it that I have.

• I love that you guys are sharing your memories and how much fun you all used to have! 🥹🥹🥹

Its definitely harder to get back into as an adult and you realize your body isnt as forgiving and gravity works harder against you. 😂 I needed a source for exercise because the gym was too boring! You really underestimate how many muscle groups you use just trying to stale verticle alone lmao!

• @BeteNoir If you want something else to burn energy on and strengthen your legs, take up juggling and keep trying new tricks so you're constantly picking up the dropped balls. I think that did more for my legs than dancing.

Something even more strenuous (yet still fun) is to try dancing and juggling at the same time. Waltz is the easiest to juggle with since it lets you keep your hands and feet in sync, but it's incredibly energy-hungry with all of its up/down movement in the fast pace you need to be able to juggle. You get the benefit of dancing and the benefits of multi-tasking exaggerating your movements, making it necessary to pick up dropped balls more often. If you give this a try, do it somewhere cold; it's like turning yourself into a furnace.

• @Mailleweaver definitely less injury than skating, but the idea of getting nailed in the face by balls doesnt exactly pique my interest lmaooo

Nonetheless it doesnt seem like a bad idea for exercise, but maybe in another lifetime! Something about listening to agressive music while juggling doesnt really do it for me like with skating does ahaha

• @BeteNoir Aww, your loss. Getting "nailed in the face" isn't really likely. You'll miss out on experiencing the chaos flow as your hands try to follow the sounds of Eluveitie's "Santonian Shores" in your ears when there's no time to think about what's coming next, enjoy the fitting humor of juggling to Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching Me" in some parking lot late at night after the skating rink has closed but you don't feel like stopping yet, or hear the happiness in the voices of little kids telling their parents to "Look! Look!" as they gaze in delight at the colors flying through the air when you're killing time waiting for your pizza order to be ready.