Opposums

This may be an odd question but does anyone know anything about opposums? I live in the city but we still have wildlife. I live around 30 yards away from a creek so I especially see wildlife, ducks, coyotes, raccoons and as my post is entitled, opposums. I saw a baby opposum hiding out in my backyard this morning. My wife says that they’re always with their mothers so this one may be lost. Do Mother opposums leave their babies to go gather food? Should I do anything? I went to look where it was hiding and I don’t see anymore it or it’s Mother. There are multiple places they can be hiding so I’m assuming they’re still back there.

Comments

• The best thing to do with wildlife is leave it alone. Animals may look lost to us when, in fact, they're not.

• @Morpheus - there's probably a wildlife rehab org in your area that you can contact

• I agree with txtom, unless you're an expert(or get proper advice from an expert) you're likely to do more harm than good by interfering. Unless you can keep an eye on it and see that the mom hasn't returned in like 72 hours or however long they can go without care I would leave them alone.

• Yea we haven’t seen it again. It’s also day time so maybe later tonight. I think you’re all right, I’m gonna leave it alone unless it appears to be in distress. Then maybe I’ll call someone.

• edited April 21

Heard they are overall clean and don't carry diseases we can contract.

• And while we're on the topic of wildlife...

Unless you have an actual deathwish, never ever try to "help" a bear cub out of a tree.

Darwinism really does work.

• edited April 21

I know absolutely nothing about them, but it’s a fun word to say. Go ahead. Say it out loud.

Opossum.

See?

• @TxTom What you said. I was really disturbed to see those idiots on TV bothering those bear cubs. Some people are so far from reality and so entitled they think every animal or human in the world is here to do their bidding.

• I didn’t know what y’all meant about the cubs but I just looked it up and that’s disgusting. Those people are complete idiots.

• @achetocuddle Agreed. There are two reasons for this:

• The gene pool is getting thin.
    • Movies like Madagascar.

Those people all very lucky to still be alive

• Yes, it's really sad. If the mama bear had been around and hurt those people I can't say that would bother me. I'm sorry I got a little off topic.

• Anytime I see a baby animal in the wild, first thing I think is oh crap, where’s momma.

• That is so sweet @Morpheus. Also inclined to agree with TxTom. It's usually best to leave wildlife alone and sometimes the mom is on top of things even when we don't see them. It's easy for me to leave wildlife alone because I don't have confidence in myself to take care of them, lol.

@TxTom Lol, all true. The current state of the gene pool bothers me a lot. I have to try not to think about it. It's annoying and stupid when people out West go up to wild adult bison but at least they can take care of themselves.

• @lonelytauros I don't want to sound like a broken record but I still really enjoy your posts. Also, hi there :)

• @lonelytauros you probably get a lot of wildlife where you live. There’s a lot of deer at the cemetery.

• Hi @achetocuddle thank you! I was so inspired by Madagascar I changed my profile pic! lol 🐧 😂

P.S. hope you’ve been well! 🤗

• @Morpheus yes, you’re right. I’m actually right near spyglass Hill so when I first moved here, there was actually a lot more wildlife than there is now every once in a while you would even catch a glimpse of a mountain lion. The deer kind of faded. Don’t really see those as much as when I first moved here you will get your occasional raccoons and coyotes and then, of course you know we have the usual suspects like the squirrels the ducks we will get a couple of cranes from time to time too
    And I have seen possums once in a while the nocturnal creatures usually like to hang out near the dumpsters where the food is and will usually run away on site if you get close to them raccoons however, are a little bit more bold so they don’t always run away so you have to be careful with them

• @lonelytauros I’m right by Coyote Creek. Wildlife always follow the creek. I’ve never seen deer here but plenty of raccoons, opposites, a couple of cranes and there are always coyotes. Several live at Las Lomas park, I hear them yipping almost every night.

• @achetocuddle

It's annoying and stupid when people out West go up to wild adult bison...

It's the lawyers that make the ranchers install those giant signs that read: "Do not approach or attempt to touch the Bison."

I think there's a direct correlation between those signs and traffic congestion. If it wasn't for those signs, lanes of traffic would be opening up all the time.

• @lonelytauros The reason you don't see deer might be cause they have all moved to town like they have here, lol.

@TxTom I didn't know that. Interesting. I'm glad I know not to approach large or potentially dangerous wildlife without having to read a sign, ha ha.

• I would Google "what to do if you find a baby possum", as there are usually well-informed answers out there on what's normal wildlife behavior vs. not, and when, on the rare occasion, to step in.

I also agree @Skweezer on looking up the nearest wildlife rehab.

That way if you see it tomorrow, or another one anytime, you'll be prepared.

I saw a fledgling robin once sitting in one spot for an entire day, and was worried it fell out of the nest and would be eaten. Google told me the mother is almost always nearby, and not only does she swoop in to fight off predators, but she actually continues bringing the baby food. Now I know not to worry. 🪹

~ Sunset Snuggles

🦄 Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

• I saw the baby opposum this morning. It’s grown quite a bit. I’m glad I left it alone.

• I just read about the bear cubs, that's insane.

• @Morpheus I live close to a watershed, and so have loads of wildlife that visits my yard - coyotes, bobcats, skunks, armadillos, racoons, etc etc ... including lots of possums.

Yeah, young possums get turned loose to fend for themselves at a pretty small size. But as you noted, they grow fast if there's plenty of food around. Heh, have seen a few around here that were R.O.U.S. sized

• @Jubal that's awesome. did you take any pics of videos of this wildlife ! what a diversity!

• @Morpheus Yay!

@Jubal I echo @Minestrone101 - It would be passive fun to invest in a trail cam. You could even stream it online! 🦨💨🦝 (That one was for you, @TxTom. 🤭 And @cheeseboy! 😅)

@Jubal posted: "have seen a few around here that were R.O.U.S. sized"

😂 Have fun storming the castllllle! 🏰⚔️🐀

~ Sunset Snuggles

• @SunsetSnuggles my real life superpower is that I can't smell skunks. Seriously.

• @SunsetSnuggles that would be amazing. them animals

• @cheeseboy

Fabulous! You can cuddle up all the potheads for the rest of us! 😁

https://www.cuddlecomfort.com/forum/discussion/19862/hi-everyone/p1

Can I say that word? 🤫 One of the partakers called himself that, buuuut I dunno... 🤭

@Minestrone101

That was epic!! My goodness, I thought he was aiming for that tiny one and didn't think he'd make it...how low my bar was set! 🫨 Also, how freaking adorable were his little paw shakes... 🥰

~ Sunset Snuggles