Off-topic discussions

Comments

• [Deleted User]Zundar (deleted user)

@DrCuddleBug There have been non cuddling related threads on here for as long as it's been active pretty much. There have also been plenty of political/covid related threads before this one. As @geoff1000 has said, you have the choice to just not view or comment these threads - nobody is making you view or engage with this kind of content, you can stick to the cuddle related ones if that's what you want from the site.

• Way to stick up for each other fellows.

• @BrianLopez It wasn’t so much theft... we got this country by genocide 🤷🏻‍♂️

• @NYCLatnGuy
    We British taught you that too.

Although I did find it ironic that the Apache helicopter gunship used to prevent ethnic cleansing in the Balkans, was named after a population which was ethnically cleansed.

• I sexually identify as an attack helicopter

• @sethryan44 ~ Snort! My mind went straight to, "Huh... Wonder if his SO identifies as a landing pad or target?" Hope so. Everyone should be so lucky to find a match.

• @quixotic_life Nice of you to imply I'm in a relationship. I'm looking for my landing pad right now and I'm almost out of fuel.

• edited October 2020

@sethryan44 ~ Oh no...! May you get clearance for an emergency touch down & refueling then!

Edit : Whoops ~ Tagged the wrong person! Sorry 'bout that...

• @alaskaman12 ~ Gaaaahhh!! This is the most horrific thing I've ever clicked on! I tried but just can't ~ At barely over the 2.5 minute mark and I had to yank out my earbud! There's something about his speech (tone, cadence, etc.) I just can't listen to it. Plus It's bound to outrage me given the title ~ lol!

But thanks for thinking of me....? 💁‍♀️

• I find it curious that some people suggest that the flu kills almost as many people as covid has....
    first of all, that's not true...covid has killed far more people than the flu.
    second of all, we had a national shutdown, and covid still killed more people than the flu....that's WITH a shutdown...imagine if we hadn't shut down anything and acted like covid was just the flu...the deaths would have been insane.
    Let's use common sense....
    as for Trump...he's on audio tape admitting that its worse than the flu. He can say the opposite now because some people are so fearful they'll believe anything if it makes them feel less fearful.

• When considering Covid-19 statistics, it's important to know if the people died OF Covid-19 or WITH Covid-19.

• Its really impossible to know for sure if someone wouldn't have died if they didn't have covid at the same time as something else. That's an impossible task.
    It stands to reason that it would be a contributing factor and I know the ones who like to downplay covid keep arguing this point to try to cast doubt on the covid deaths. But ask er docs and they will tell you covid patients aren't like regular old flu patients.

• Comorbids greatly increase morbidity rate of people with covid . And people.dont end up in ICU on vents and have recurring problems even after they are no longer sick with the flu like they do with covid . Sure a lot dont show symptoms at all but those who do can go down quick . I work at a hospital and people there are dying and on vents and oxygen and having issues after they discharge. people with no significant issues prior are going home with oxygen concentrators and hospice care . This really happens it's not made up political dogma . It's not fake news . And it is certainly not the common flu.

• [Deleted User]DarkLordChungus (deleted user)

I'm surprised that people are still surprised by Trump's idiocy. I mean, really, it's nothing new.

• @pmvines Thank you for that!!!! I work in a COVID only hospital, and it is just heartbreaking to see what the patients are going through.The patients are getting younger and younger, and many of them were not in the high risk category (diabetes, COPD, etc) prior to getting sick. It is very real...and very serious.

• [Deleted User]gr8guyinnv (deleted user)
    edited October 2020

Time will tell.

@gr8guyinnv

This, coming from someone lacking any sort of profile picture, who also seems to be an insane zealot. "I have no words".

I pray that you find some, and that they're sensible and coherent.

• How about we all just chill out on the insults? THE truth. THE truth. THE truth. Everyone seems to think they have it. Now let's just start killing each other in the name of it and we'll really be getting somewhere.

@gr8guyinnv God bless all sounds good but I'm not hearing any love in your post.

• [Deleted User]holdingcompany (deleted user)
    edited October 2020

LOL @ conservative garbage at the top of this page. Can’t wait til the whole republican bloc has fallen and you can hold your creepy church services behind dumpsters and in the woods.

• Oh the hate! Oh my heart!

edited October 2020

Racism is the bedrock of the right wing, yes, the hate. Loving humanity = removing the cancer that is corrupting the body. If you do not hate minorities or the poor, then conservative thoughts must be rejected and their blood-stained hands must be beaten back.

• Defining something as "more serious" than something else, depends on one's frame of reference.

Covid-19 has a higher lethality than flu, once you've caught it ; like a 44 Magnum bullet is more serious than a. 22, but there may be lot more. 22 bullets around. I think the danger of Covid-19 is in fact that it is asymptomatic / low symptomatic in so many cases ; so people pass it on before knowing they are infectious, and wide groups of society know they are unlikely to suffer severe symptoms, so we have to rely on them acting for the benefit of others. The slogan being used to young people in the UK is, "Don't kill granny".

Perhaps the mentality of some young people is that culling the older generation is a good idea, like the Russians would be happy if global warming makes their country better for crops. The 1918 influenza pandemic conversely affected younger people more, so self-interest drove them to self-isolate.

We've taken the opportunity over the last few months, to reduce the spread of Covid-19, and "only" lost a million people so far. The ones we've saved, have to be balanced against the ones we lost by the economic effect, and the healthcare systems having to divert their focus. I'm not criticising that policy, any more than democracy is "criticised" for being, "The worst way to run a country, except for all the others". Covid-19 must take the blame for all the consequential deaths too, which probably far exceed the over-counting of those who died with it, but not necessarily of it.

In a war, every loyal citizen is very highly motivated to defeat the enemy. Some run and jump and shoot, and we recognise them easily. Some dwell on complex scientific problems. Some lay calmly on the ground squinting through a telescopic sight for a single shot. Some make hard choices over who can be saved. We should recognise that fighting Covid-19 needs people with every skill-set on the planet, including those who cannot be currently useful, but instead must endure the lost income.

At the end of the movie "Volcano", the camera pans out to show everyone covered in grey dust, emphasing their similarity. One useful outcome may be that we have a better realisation, that some world challenges can only be won for any, if they are won by all.

When the war against Covid-19 is finally over, and history asks us who won ; humanity, speaking perhaps for the first time with a collective voice, will be able to say proudly, "We did".

• edited October 2020

STOP Take time to breathe...

THINK Before you slip into the void...

PROCEED Try to remember what brought you here and maybe go find some of that...

posted for @littermate
    edit: cause I was just being puckish with my last one

edited October 2020

“Covid 19, no more serious than militarized fascism, mass death & racist gangs cheered on by unprecedented blatant kleptocratic political corruption & malfeasance” (throw delusional religiofascists into the mix as well)...

This administration has made an enemy out of both covid and humanity. When it comes to his camp, I am rooting for Covid. Their loss will aid & expedite the healing & recovery of humanity in general. The health and continued operation of the administration is positively correlated to the opposite for 99% of the country, even if 1/3 or so of them are foaming at the mouth for euthanasia.

@holdingcompany

"Their loss will aid & expedite the healing & recovery of humanity in general."

Your optimism is touching.

• @MelanieL I'm not at a covid only hospital but we do have a covid ICU and two floors have half of the rooms blocked off as covid only for peolle.who are more stable, off vents . You are right , lots of people in their 40s and 50s, some in their 30s even on vents and others on 5 to 15 liters of continuous oxygen . I have seen multiple people from the same households in there. Some are monitored for a few days and treated for symptoms then discharged home ener others get progressively worse , end up intubated , sometimes making full recovery, sometimes going home to return with more symptoms, sometimes others pass at the hospital. Obviously many have it and are just in a holding pattern and dont have symptoms but ones who do get it pretty damn bad.