Quote of the Day

Comments

• “I don’t have pet peeves. I have psychotic [scary bad word] hatreds.”

— George Carlin

• I remember when children used to be small

• @MissAdventurous I am not sure about that. Yesterday morning a 68 yo lady was killed by her tree falling on her, hence the danger of morning wood.

• @MissAdventurous All kidding aside—for reals:

• Tornados a couple nights ago left some presents in my pond! Yay trees!

• Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

• "The winner's edge is not in a gifted birth, a high IQ, or in talent. The winner's edge is all in the attitude, not aptitude. Attitude is the criterion for success."

• @OhioMike Nothing hit my property in KC, but I spent 3 nights out of 5 from Friday through Tuesday with the sirens going off. There was an EF-4 and an EF-2 Tuesday night and several on Friday night. Saturday was minor.

• @FunCartel , glad youre ok! Monday night (Memorial Day) was worse here. Dayton Ohio got crushed! We have a lot of Cuddle Comfort people from there.

I know this is wrong thread, probably should start a severe weather thread! ;)

• @OhioMike The one in Lawrence, KS was on the national news yesterday—flattened homes, gymnasiums, and other structures. Twelve people hurt...and one lady flattened by a tree that fell over because the ground is so saturated with rain. We have had over 12 inches of rain the past 10-14 days and the rivers are flooding everything. Over 150 tornadoes within a 100 mile span the past week. A lady had a plant pot land in her yard from a nursery 65 miles away Tuesday night. Crazy stuff.

• I, Gervinus Rothling, have emptied life not from a glass but from a magnum. Have known history as I know my own skin. Have crossed and recrossed Europe like Napoleon's hordes, have seen Salonika burning and the face of an old man floating, smiling in the Grand Canal. I have smelled new wheat in the Carpathians and eaten eel, salt-cold from the Tyrrhenian Sea. I have passed my hands over the stone roses in the cloister at Albi and over a woman's hair in a cellar in Kharkov.
    A magnum, a Jeroboam, till it was empty. God how we lived! Each terrible year like a hundred ordinary years, like a thousand. He was true to his word. A thousand-year Reich inside each of us, a millennium of remembered life. We have left nothing for those who came after. That's our real crime. They are ghosts, plump ghosts, lean ghosts, the whole generation of them. Not their fault. We left them the cold ash of history, the skin of the grape. But I wouldn't trade. I wouldn't.

George Steiner, The Portage to San Cristobal of A. H. , 1979

• edited May 2019

• "The future will be better tomorrow."

• "Healing yourself is connected with healing others". Yoko Ono

• @SoCambria Don’t you see the irony in that quote considering how much pain Yoko inflicted whenever she sang?

• edited June 2019

June 2. ?
    My little book I have displayed on my dining room table surrounded by my plants and good company... A reminder And a happy one.

??? Edit: When we are stressed in life and feel frustrated, when we can't "complete" or "be" what our own goals are or what we want others to be, is good for that it is a service to be kind and considerate to yourself... And whatever form that may be, it is good to remind yourself that your way to be you.

It's something at the end of the day is a fundamental service to remind everybody that we are human beings who all feel and are uniquely the same in the best of ways. ???

• Better to have loved...and lost
    Then never to have loved at all
    WS

• It was the best of times
    It was the worst of times
    Charles Dickens. A Tale Of Two Cities

• When it comes to idiots, America's got more than its fair share. If idiots were energy, it would be a source that would never run out.

Lewis Black

• And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.”
    —F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

• Mmmmm...love Fitzgerald's imagery.