Quote of the Day

Comments

• “Pure love transcends the body. It is between hearts. It has nothing to do with bodies.” Amma

• I never said I was deep, but I am profoundly shallow.

JC

• Welcome back FunCartel, good to see you.

• "Being human can be flat-out terrible sometimes. It's a good thing we've got cuddles!"
    -- @DarrenWalker

• My daughter: That's not how I heard it. I've always heard "an apple a day keeps the doctor away... An apple a day keeps anyone away if you throw it hard enough." 🤣🤣

She was quoting me... Kid's got her head screwed on the right way!

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

@littermate: [blush]

"'They can ta'k our live but they can never ta'k our freedom!' Now there's a battle cry not designed by a clear thinker..."
    Terry Pratchett on Braveheart

• "Be excellent to each other."
    -- Abraham Lincoln

• @dharma1257 Good to see you as well. One of the few I do like hearing from.

• edited February 2020

This is so TRUE !!!!!

"But you read a lot of books, I'm thinking. Hard to have faith, ain't it, when you've read too many books?"
    —Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

• "If at first you don't succeed, this sport probably isn't for you" -
    Parachute Instructor

• "I am Spartacus" - Kirk Douglas

• “I am Spartacus” Tony Curtis and a bunch of extras

• "I am Spartacus" - Doctor Who & Donna Noble, in the episode set in Pompeii.

"Yet I still argued vehemently against women, saying that it would be impossible that so many famous men—such solemn scholars, possessed of such deep and great understanding, so clear-sighted in all things, as it seemed—could have spoken falsely on so many occasions that I could hardly find a book on morals where, even before I had read it in its entirety, I did not find several chapters or certain sections attacking women, no matter who the author was."

—Christine de Pizan, City of Ladies (1405)

• Do you recommend that book @DarrenWalker? I was eyeing it the other day.

I've only seen excerpts, @littermate, but it seems fun. If you click the title in my post, there, it'll take you to the page of excerpts I read.

"Her own dignity requires that she should give herself up entirely as she is, and lives to her choice and should utterly lose herself in him. The least consequence is, that she should renounce to him all her property and all her rights. Henceforth she has life and activity only under his eyes and in his business. She has ceased to lead the life of an individual; her life has become a part of the life of her lover. (This is aptly characterized by her assuming his name.)"

—Johan Gottlieb Fichte, The Science of Rights

"The virtue of a woman is a beautiful virtue. That of the male sex should be a noble virtue. Women will avoid the wicked not because it is unright, but because it is ugly ... [Women] do something only because it pleases them, and the art consists in making only that please them which is good. ...One should not at all demand sacrifices and generous self-restraint [of women]."

—Immanuel Kant, Observations on the Feeling of the Beautiful and Sublime (1764)

• “Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also harder to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say ‘My tooth is aching’ than to say ‘My heart is broken.’” -C.S. Lewis

I would say mental pain is not always less dramatic. I applaud each one of you who, tired of concealing, has found the strength to say, “You know what? I’m lonely; I long for companionship, for affection” and take the brave steps toward mending your heart. It’s not an easy thing to say or do in this isolating modern society that dismisses emotion.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."
    —Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms

• “We feel entitled to artificially inseminate a cow” - Joaquin Phoenix, Academy Awards speech
    "All women are superheroes" - Sigourney Weaver, Academy Awards speech