Is It Morally Wrong To Cuddle During A Pandemic?

Comments

• Human beings are a particular type of animal. We’re highly social, and we’re capable of reason. Morality has zero to do with a person’s decision to cuddle under any circumstances.

But responding in a certain way to the question that started this thread sure makes some people feel very righteous.

• @Lucas_ "Morality has zero to do with a person’s decision to cuddle under any circumstances."

Sorry, did you just speak for all of humanity there? Or did you mean you are "a person's"?

• It might be OK for 2 people who are not of the same household to cuddle, if they : beforehand signed a medical waiver agreeing to no assistance in the event of illness, and afterwards self- or collectively-isolated for 7 or 14 days as appropriate.

A UK Government Minister said at the start of the lockdown, that dating couples should decide if they are going to spend the duration together, or apart ; but whatever they decided, they had to stick with it.

• I really love this thread thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and input <3 hugs and hand sanitizer

• I am all for live and let live if it hurts no one else. But in this case the repercussions can potentially echo to thousands of others so I am totally against it during the pandemic.

• Yes it is !!!! People dying every where.

• It's extremely irresponsible, reckless and dangerous to be cuddling now in the midst of this global coronavirus pandemic. It's highly contagious and deadly. I enjoy cuddling too, but I stopped accepting in-person cuddle sessions since March 13th for safety concerns. I'm self-isolating at home until it's safe to resume the new normal life. There's NO such thing as 'safe' cuddling! Health experts say 25% of those who tested positive for coronavirus, have NO symptoms at all, but they still can infect & spread it around, causing many people dying. Avoiding in-person cuddle session is the only way until they come up with the proven cure or vaccine or antibodies test.

• Of course it is not. Only an evil person would say otherwise.

• Yes, it absolutely is morally wrong to do so during a pandemic, @eddie2sweaty

• @moonrising
    Someone pointed out earlier in the thread, that: : the title says "Is it morally wrong" but the OP's first post asks "Is it morally OK".
    When @eddie2sweaty says "Of course it is not" he might be holding either view.

• [Deleted User]outdoordude28 (deleted user)

@moonrising
    We've been dying since the moment we've been born!! We don't need this current pandemic to kill us off. We as a population are overpopulated anyway. This is just the Earth's way of cleansing itself!!

• A new transmitterd disease.......not worth the risk

• @outdoordude28 It’s all fun and games until someone gets intubated.

@FunCartel
    Yeah. It's how you live life! Dying is inevitable!! We can't stop that at all!! I wouldn't want to live for ever anyway! I would want to die with some dignity left. If I can't take care of myself and have to depend on someone or something. I would pull the plug.

• They already have an antibody test....
    so just get one and if you've isolated yourself you can probably safely cuddle with someone else who also has isolated themselves and taken the antibody test as well...
    if you're both recovered from covid (which the antibody test will tell you that) then that's even better cause you can both cuddle whether you have been isolated or not!
    Very simple...no reason to ban cuddling or talk about morality so much.

• @Melancholy
    The antibody test that the UK was planning to use wasn't very reliable, it could only detect people who had been hospitalised with severe symptoms.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51943612

• @outdoordude28
    If you were putting only yourself and / or your cuddle partner at risk, that would be one thing ; but you are instead putting at risk the vulnerable and the health workers who will treat them.

"I would pull the plug"
    Easy to say. Human beings are programmed for survival, so that may be harder than you think.
    A patient who is struggling to breathe, may not get to make that choice.

"Dying is inevitable"
    No government condones murder, on the basis that people die anyway. We have only a limited number of years given to us, and it is not for someone else to take them.

I see you have blocked me. Can't cope with a rational argument.

edited April 2020

@geoff1000
    I haven't been cuddling with anyone since this started. I still have RESPECT for rules and for life! You don't know me and I don't know you. It's easy to hide behind a screen! So what if I blocked you. People have blocked me to! Did I hurt your feelings for blocking you!?!?

@geoff1000
    I blocked you awhile ago. Not last night. We can still have a rational argument on here! I can cope with a lot of things! You don't know what I been through.

• @outdoordude28
    Governments and citizens all over the world, are trying very to resist what you call "just the Earth's way of cleansing itself!!"

You imply that they shouldn't bother, that we should just let nature take its course.

• Letting nature take its course implies natural causes. This is a bit different though than natural causes. Natural causes is a natural occurrence from something that happens naturally. Catching an acute virus from somebody else who refuses to accept the fact that their actions as benign as they might seem can have severe consequences to others just from simply being a carrier, not knowing they are a carrier, and then coming around the air space of another person who has conditions that can lead to severity of symptoms and possible death, is not nature taking its course.

• @pmvines I was a weird kid. Lack of conscientiousness has been my pet peeve for as long as I can remember. It's particularly pissing me off now, because it has kept me a prisoner. I've been isolating for over a month now. I should be DONE and able to go back to my life by now... 😞

• I guess the better question is At what point will it not be morally wrong to cuddle or do anything else we once considered a normal part of life ?

@pmvines
    That's called survival of the fittest. The people that carry thos virus and doesn't get sick won't. They would pass it on and the weaker will die. This also happens in the wild. People have forgotten about this among our species. Since a majority of our kind made civilizations, made medicine, started to live in better shelters, stopped being nomadic, and keeping the disabled/sick/old alive. It's all about survival of the fittest. If we where still living like cavemen the weak would just die off. That is just reality. It's what IS! That would never change!

• edited April 2020

@outdoordude28 This is about avoiding things that knowingly put others at risk. That is like having unprotected sex and saying that if you contract HIV it is natural selection. Apples and oranges to the evolutionary explanation of survival of the fittest. I do realize it may not be the most comparable example however it is what I can come up with at this time.

• @pmvines That's actually the same comparison a friend made and I find it pretty accurate, ha. Being in close proximity with someone today is like having unprotected sex. You want to know their habits in the past couple weeks. How many people have they been with? Would you consider them clean and a safe risk? Do you trust them? Etc... 😉

• @outdoordude28
    Healthcare professionals get a high viral load, because of the career they chose ; just like emergency responders and the military, put themselves in harm's way for the rest of us. Fitness is only part of the equation.

Cavemen had clothes, tools, and weapons ; and they worked together, such that their society
    was more capable than the sum of its parts.

Immunity to viruses comes at a cost, just as jaw muscles to bite raw meat comes at a cost. The improvement in intelligence, has allowed humankind to survive disasters ; and we might have a chance when the next extinction-level asteroid threatens us. Then, as now, it requires co-operation ; else we will be left only with those who naturally survived that specific threat, and won't necessarily be fit for the next one.

• edited April 2020

@geoff1000 Believe it or not with all of the safeguarding and precautions at my job I actually feel safer in terms of exposure than I do pumping gas or getting groceries

• edited April 2020

When will any of you feel safe going to a sporting event or a concert , eating at a restaurant or even flying on an airplane ? And do you think the government will let us do those things before there's a vaccine ? I kind of think they're going to have to.

• @ubergigglefritz Being conscientious means you have a good heart and care about how your actions impact those around you. Nothing at all wrong with that.