Cooking Therapy

Reflecting over some coffee and a rainy day to muse about life, enrichment, what leads us all to our destinations to just pack up and move forward again into the psyche of our minds. The altruistic facts laid out in front of me as I plan to make a chicken and dumpling recipe tonight, I feel a sense of joy and peace in my cooking that I used to not have.

After pulling myself in and out of a huge episode of echoing depression over the last few years, I can almost cry tears of joy again at FEELING positive emotions again, and I don't think it hit me how happy I am to bake, cook, saute, and whatever else to my hearts content again until this morning. The act of giving is huge for me as I do not open up lightly about my turmoils in life and try to be a very conscious -minded individual for others, I feel cooking is that medium ground for when I am anxious and need to do something with my mind, or hosting for the people and friends and family I love and care for, including my clients.

I guess, as a synopsis, I wanted to share something very vulnerable with you all this morning to remind you that no matter who or where you are in your life, there is a silver lining in the darkest storms. Cheers!

• Cassandra

Comments

• Food will “restore” you , that’s how the eating places became known as restaurants. Restore-ants.

• Yes, I do understand the concept of what food "restores" in a person, that is always in the forefront of my mind as a foodie myself. :)

I love the break down of the origin of "restaurant" from French verb restaurer, meaning to restore.
    "It was first used in France in the 16th century, to describe the thick and cheap soups sold by street vendors that were advertised to restore your health. " But obviously the term went in many directions, diction and language history are kinda a fun rabbit hole to go down.

However, I feel it is the ACT of cooking vs. eating food where I find my sweet spot. A lot of the time after I cook, I tend to not eat right after due to the work of it. I feel more content pulling out the dish from the oven, then I do with eating it to folliow, that is a yummy perk.

• Sharing food preparation n eating together n have cuddles ether side would certainly restore me ;)

• @MissAdventurous good on you and I'm happy to hear that you're finding happiness. I totally agree that cooking can be therapeutic. There is something special about knowing exactly what you will do, how you will do it, for how long and at the end be able to give something to yourself or somebody else. Some of my happiest moments have been in kitchens or over food. Anyway good luck and keep on cooking.

• Thank you @LeeS ... ?
    The chicken and dumplings was divine last night. ?

• @poolman you have the right idea. Little things in life ?

• Speaking of cooking therapy ....??

Making homemade banana bread and some zangy homemade lemon bars on this lovely spring day ... Time to pull out the apron and get my baking on ????

• edited April 2019

Nom nom nom!

• edited April 2019

Since I'm bragging! ???

• [Deleted User]CharlesTwisted (deleted user)

My relationship with food has changed entirely, and in a surprisingly positive direction, since I decided to cook every bit of every meal I eat, myself.

Fresh produce, proteins from local and sustainable sources, spices and oils from family owned farms and Co-ops.

That decision felt silly when I first made it, but it has made a huge difference.

• You are making my mouth water. Chicken and dumplings are one of my all time faves.

• @MissAdventurous ... did you get the grinder attachment for that mixer ? With the price of ground beef in the supermarket it’s cheaper to buy a pot roast and grind your own . And you know what’s going in the ground beef too !

• I'm guessing that's lamb in the photo, being that there is a yogurt sauce and rosemary on it.

Most full service butcher are happy to grind whatever meat you want which can be a better option. A ground lamb/beef combo is outstanding.

• Also, adding nut meat to the banana bread can really bring out the moisture and add a significant amount of protein to the finished product. Almond or walnut flour work best. A wee bit of lemon zest in the banana bread goes a long way. Don't forget your currants.

• @CalNative That is neither lamb, rosemary or a yogurt sauce.

That is steak, with sauted morel mushrooms I found growing in my background with a blue cheese crumble dressing.

And yes. I use nuts, typically walnut, as a whole. If I want additional moisture I'll add blueberries typically. Which I did this time ?

@cuddlerforu24 I do have all the attachments actually but I go to a local European meat market for my meats typically. ??

• @MissAdventurous At least tell me you have rosemary on the potatoes. Throw a dog a bone.

• Yes @CalNative fresh rosemary from the front garden ??

• Snacks on a hot day ??

Nice charcuterie!

I made my first fancy purée last night. A roasted cauliflower and garlic, with butter, goat cheese, and a nice mix of Mediterranean spices.

Pretty yummy.

(And oddly satisfying to take the immersion blender to...)

• @MissAdventurous ooh, I love morels. And what luck to have found some so close!

• I love to cook. It’s a nurturing thing I do for others who enjoy my food. I recently read “Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat” and it really helped me elevate my cooking by understanding some fundamentals. My cooking is quite varied as I am low carb, my daughter does weight watchers and my son and his girlfriend are vegans.

• edited May 2019

A gluten free blueberry crostata for Mother's Day with lemon-mandarin orange icecream (not shown)

I find baking and cooking to be incredibly soothing. Cooking farm to table can be especially therapeutic :)

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

@cuddlesfordays1: Whoa. That looks amazing. Great color choices for the background, too!

• @DarrenWalker thank you! :) my mother has always favoured the blue/white combo ;)

• Beautifully done ❤️ @cuddlesfordays1

• Been fresh day of creativity in the house. Spring inspired cupcakes ??

• @MissAdventurous I love those cupcakes! That succulent is incredible

So you see, wha’ ha’ happa’ was...

I was doing a deep cleaning of Mom’s kitchen the other day, and I found an immersion (stick) blender.

So, into the world of chowders, cream sauces, mashes, and purée I go!

This is a roasted chicken and veggie chowder.

Chicken, asparagus, red onion, and chanterelle mushrooms. Various spices, olive oil, and red wine vinegar.

Toss, and roast in a cast iron skillet for 40 minutes at 400 degrees.

Take half of the roasted stuff, into a lovely heavy mixing bowl.

Immersion blend in butter, goat cheese, and cream to taste, consistency, and shine.

(I went with a medium-fine mash, enough to coat veggies, but thin enough to slowly pour off the spoon.)

Add in the remaining roasted stuff for contrasting texture, and finish with a drizzle of oil, vinegar, and a nice sprinkle of hard salty cheese. (I used grated romano and asiago.)

NOM!

• I didn't cook, but boy isn't tonight cooking therapy all in its own
    World known seafood chowder.
    ??????