Artwork Around the World šŸŒæ

edited February 2020 in General

To enjoy a simpler way of appreciation. šŸ’—

TODAY'S:

The painting was commissioned by the future Tsar Alexander III. Based on the subject of a Novgorod epic poem (bylina), it depicts the merchant Sadko in the underwater kingdom. Repin painted the work when he was a fellow of the Imperial Academy of Arts in France.

Cut off from his usual environment, the young artist employed the folklore theme to express his mood and state of mind. The picture depicts various beauties, each personifying a different nation or people. Although entranced by every one of them, Sadko nevertheless chooses the Russian girl, Chernava, to be his bride. As the artist wrote at the time: ā€œThe idea expresses my true state and perhaps the state of our as-of-yet still Russian art.ā€ In his search for artistic devices adequately expressing the conceived image, Repin was aided by impressions of the magnificent pageantry of the European salons. Always aspiring to achieve maximum authenticity, the artist studied maps of the sea world, sketched the sea-life of Normandy and toured the Crystal Palace in London.

In 1876, he was made an academician for this monumental canvas.

Ā«1345

Comments

• edited February 2020

Aaron Kraten - Newbrow artist

Social

13" x 24"

mixed media

on wood

• The painting is a study for one of Tiepoloā€™s four ceiling frescoes in the Palazzo Archinto, Milan, which was destroyed by bombing in 1943. A fresco in the main salon, representing an Allegory of the Arts, bore the date 1731. The study is owned by the Frick Collection and thanks to them we can present it today.Ā 

According to legend, Cassiopeia, Queen of Ethiopia, had angered the Nereids by boasting that she and her daughter Andromeda were as beautiful as they. To punish her presumption, Neptune sent flood waters and a sea-monster to ravage the land. Learning from an oracle that his daughter must be sacrificed to the monster in order to save his people, King Cepheus had Andromeda chained to a rock by the sea. The hero Perseus saw her and, moved by her beauty, rescued Andromeda, sweeping her skyward on his winged horse, Pegasus. The luminous heavens, conceived as an illustion to be seen from below, open to reveal Minerva and Jupiter seated on gold-tinged clouds.

P.S. Giovanni Battista Tiepolo is called sometimes the last Venetian master.

• @MissAdventurous Gorgeous! Love that painting <3

Utagawa Kuniyoshi (1798-1861)

• Speaking of Tiepolo, love his son Giandomenicoā€™s eerie Pulcinella frescoes (Caā€™ Rezzonico, Venice, 1793).

• Ohhh love it šŸ˜

The Kiss undoubtedly represents the culmination of the Golden Epoch phase in Klimt's art. In this decade, the artist created a puzzling, ornamental encoded program that revolved around the mystery of existence, love, and fulfilment through art. Klimt gained initial inspiration for this in 1903 on a journey to Ravenna to see the Byzantine mosaics.

In addition, the painting contains a myriad of motifs from various cultural epochs, above all from Ancient Egyptian mythology. Most recent research has, however, revealed that it is not enough to read the ornaments in the picture just as symbols rooted in tradition aiming to convey a timelessly valid message. They reveal more, such as references to Klimtā€™s love for Emilie Flƶge and the artistā€™s exploration of the sculptor Auguste Rodinā€™s art.

It is no coincidence that Klimt's work is often linked to that of his Viennese compatriot, and near-contemporary,Ā Sigmund Freud. When Klimt died in 1918, at the premature age of 55, several unfinished works of a strikingly sexual nature were found in his studio, as if revealing the erotic undercurrent latent beneath much of his earlier work.

Happy Valentine's Day!

• We present today's painting thanks to the Silesian Museum in Katowice and The ING Polish Art Foundation.

Wilhelm Sasnalā€™s world of painting reaches deep into individual and collective historical remembrance, his oeuvre featuring the power of an anarchist manifesto. The painting, subtitled The Moon and citing an archival photographic image, shows the moment of the ā€œgiant leap for mankind.ā€ The artist selected and painted a historical event in enigmatic and ambiguous form. Discernible brushstrokes and reduced details suggest the work to be documentary in nature, created swiftly and in emulation of a photographic image.

Wilhelm Sasnal (born December 29, 1972) is a Polish painter, photographer, poster artist, illustrator, and filmmaker. Today, he is considered one of the most prominent and internationally successful Polish contemporary artists.

• Dominique Gauthierā€™s paintings refer to the history of Abstract Art in the 20th century. The musical title of this composition, Orphique, alludes to a series of paintings created by Robert Delaunay and Wassily Kandinsky. Gauthier plays with automatism and the chance nature of production, employing a partly random process to make his paintings. Using painting machines of his own construction, the paint is applied using plastic bags that are punctured with small holes and then set in motion above the canvas. The spiral form is a recurring motif in his work, reflective of the centrifugal force that is used to create it, using a paintbrush attached to a length of string.

• In her short life of only 31 years, Paula Modersohn-Becker not only produced an extensive oeuvre of over 750 paintings and 1000 drawings, but also achieved a mode of artistic expression that made her a pioneer of modernism. The enigmatic painting, Girl with Flower Garland, which depicts the artistā€™s younger sister Herma, was acquired by theĀ Nationalgalerie BerlinĀ for the exhibition of modern art at the Crown Princeā€™s Palace.

With this purchase, as well as with the founding a year earlier of the first museum in the world devoted to a woman painter, Modersohn-Becker received the recognition and visibility that eluded her during her lifetime.

We present today's painting thanks to the Nationalgalerie Berlin, where until 8 March 2020 you can visit the Fighting for Visibility: Women Artists in the National exhibit before 1919 exhibition.Ā 

• Loving this <3

• Thanks @Chase22 šŸ’—šŸ’—šŸŒ¹šŸŒ¹

• Van Gogh is at once vulnerable and strong in this self-portrait, which offers an intimate image of his mental state in January 1889. Shortly before, he had suffered a nervous breakdown and cut off part of his left ear. Following a period in the hospital, he returned to the Yellow House with his wound bandaged. Things were difficult, yet he continued to paint, making this portrait a powerful statement about his artistic life. Van Gogh presents himself as a painter in his studio with a canvas ready on his easel. He was convinced that painting would help him to heal.

• edited February 2020

Andre Cassagnes, French. Red injection dye on plastic. The smooth texture blends into a faux white plain with black shavings. This piece represents the apex of the mid-20th century Plastiques School of High Tackiness which originally showed at the Paris Salon in 1960. The shape and concept of this piece heavily influenced Steve Jobs choice of the rectangle as the IPhone shape of choice.

• edited February 2020

Abstract 4:

• edited February 2020

Abstract 6:

• edited February 2020

Abstract 13:

• Giovanna Garzoni was one of the few women artists to achieve prominence in Italy during the 1600s. She garnered fame with her naturalistic still life paintings on vellum, which combined scientific accuracy with sensitive artistry. Here, three small goldfinches on fruit branches and a larger bee-eater are dispersed across an earth-toned ground.

The goldfinches sit on branches from which hang two plums (left), a peach (center), and a pear (right). A yellow quince and purple fig appear in the left foreground. Garzoniā€™s refined interpretations of the natural world suited the taste of aristocratic patrons like the Medici family, who acquired her drawings to decorate their villas.

• When I see art, I don't care if it was made by a man or a woman. To me that is totally irrelevant.

• @UKGuy That is your view but genders do bring a certain aesthetic sensibility to all of the arts. I think in many cases knowledge of the artistā€™s gender, upbringing, times etc. enhances the piece. I have often wished that women who were ignored given the intense patriarchy of the times, would have produced paintings of Madonna with child and how they would look alongside the hundreds of the same theme produced at the time. I guess i would say it doesnā€™t matter but it does at the same time.

• Female writers historically had great difficulty getting published, and there is still some resistance.

• You guys give me hope <3

• @FunCartel - If I showed you a piece of art and told you it was made by a woman and gave you a brief biography of the artist, you would no doubt form an opinion. If I then told you I lied and the piece was really made by a man, your opinion on the art would change? It would have less or more value based on the gender of the artist?

• Why are we reading into something as simple as artsy description?

Appreciate the art. šŸ’—
    Appreciate the history of artistic expression. šŸ’—

No need to overcomplicate. šŸ’œ

• edited February 2020

@UKGuy I don't believe there is more significance in the artwork , but I do believe there are aspects of art that is reflective of the person who made it. To me it varies based on time period . For example art tcreated by a black man in the south in 1940 , or by a woman in eastern Germany in 1850 may have their own unique cultural spin based on their life experience that is influenced by the time period and culture they are I n when the art was made .

@MissAdventurous back to your regularly scheduled art thread

• The Annunciation by Jan van Eyck (don't confuse him with Anton van Dyck!) is thought to be the left (inner) wing of a triptych; there has been no sighting of the other wings since 1817. The Annunciation is a highly complex work, whose iconography is still debated by art historians.

The picture depicts the Annunciation by the Archangel Gabriel to the Virgin Mary that she will bear the son of God (Luke 1:26-38). The inscription shows his words: AVE GRƃ. PLENA (Hail, full of grace). She modestly draws back and responds, ECCE ANCILLA DƑI (Behold the handmaiden of the Lord). The words appear upside down because they are directed to God and are therefore inscribed with a God's-eye view. The Seven gifts of the Holy Spirit descend to her on seven rays of light from the upper window to the left, with the dove symbolizing the Holy Spirit following the same path. This is the moment God's plan for salvation is set in motion. Through Christ's human incarnation the old era of the Law is transformed into a new era of Grace.

It has been suggested that Mary has been given the features of Isabella of Portugal, wife of Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy, who may well have commissioned the painting from van Eyck, his (part-time) court painter. Mary wears a robe in her usual blue, which is trimmed in ermine, reserved for royalty, which would suit this theory, although the Middle Ages placed great emphasis on Mary's royal descent in any case. As is usual, especially in the North, Mary's features are less attractive than those of Gabriel; being a sexless angel there was considered to be no possibility of his beauty causing inappropriate thoughts in the onlooker. Neither figure has a halo; these were being dispensed with in Early Netherlandish art in the interests of realismā€”eventually the Italians would follow. Mary's posture is ambiguous; it is not clear if she is standing, kneeling, or sitting.

• edited February 2020

Is Mary describing the size of something in the pic above? If so, color me impressed.

However, it does put a dent in Maryā€™s immaculate conception claim.

• That is hilarious šŸ˜† @FunCartel

• Perhaps we've been mistaken for two millennia, and they were using the general definition of "immaculate" meaning "perfect", rather than "free from sin".

• Just tidy. Mary was a neat freak.

• šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚