Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• [Deleted User]DeadGirlWalking (deleted user)

@Cuddle_RN we have something called a 'death cafe' near me and basically they talk about death there and demystify the topic and remove the taboo surrounding talking about death. I think it has helped a lot of people, especially with Covid.

• [Deleted User]SoftPetals (deleted user)

OMG yess @pmvines mayo and tobacco on everything lol
    @MaullySterling my dad puts ketchup on mac n cheese lol cringy 😬🤣.

My unpopular opinion is Dunkin donuts coffee is gross and American doesn't run on Dunkin lol

• @SoftPetals Thumbs up on the Dunkin opinion.

• [Deleted User]SoftPetals (deleted user)

@FunCartel I'm not alone!? Lol 😂😂

• edited April 2021

Once, when I was in the USA, the only place I could find to eat was a Dunkin Donuts. I'd never been, so I thought I'd treat myself to a Homer Simpson style coffee and doughnut lunch. When in Rome, and all that.

I took one sip of the coffee, and one bite out of each of the donuts I'd bought, threw the whole lot in an adjacent bin, and went hungry. A little bit of my soul died that day. I mean that seriously. It's desperately sad that some people actually construe those things as food.

I write as somebody who once ate a whole tin of cat food.

Nice coffee and doughnuts is wonderful, something I have occasionally as a genuine treat.

@Cuddle_RN Death cafes are an uncommon but known thing here in the UK. There are various formats but the idea is always the same - cup of tea/coffee and talk about death and dying. Daresay they will be quite popular in the aftermath of covid, once we open up again.

• edited April 2021

@CuddleDuncan We do have an appetite for junk food sadly. I know that Dunkin coffee is not great, but I still like it when it's amped with creamer and sugar, but my coffee taste isn't very refined. I don't enjoy the doughnuts at Dunkin. Haven't yet thoroughly enjoyed a doughnut from a chain. Best doughnuts I've had have been from stalls or some small bakeries. Oh and I've also eaten cat food, though not a whole tin.

edited April 2021

@CuddleDuncan I'm sure I'm not the only person wondering why you ate a whole tin of cat food. Drunken bet? Dare? Castaway type scenario?

The only donuts I REALLY like are Krispy Kreme crullers. I'm a fiend for them.

• @BuggleBear the circumstances are a little hazy due to the passage of time, and the possibility that I may have consumed a small sherry beforehand. All I can really say is that a) I was a student and b) it seemed ... like a good idea ... at the time.

• There are no job openings anywhere. I can’t even find a single help wanted sign anywhere

• Omgosh. @DarrenWalker what a fabulous and incredibly interesting article! Thank you for sharing it.

• @DarrenWalker I'll go one further and say that the smell of fear is intoxicating. Then again, I am a haunter, so... yeah.

• boys are definitely not easier to raise than girls. i believe they both come with their own challenges.

• [Deleted User]DarkLordChungus (deleted user)
    edited April 2021

I don't think zoos should try to save their guests from any unfortunate circumstances that they might find themselves in.

Little Timmy infiltrated the silverback gorilla enclosure while his parents were busy looking at their phones? That's rough, but the amount of dumb kids with negligent parents in the world vastly outnumbers the amount of living silverback gorillas.

Also: when something like this does happen, Yakety Sax should start playing throughout the zoo.

• Honestly I hate coffee too. I _very_rarely drink it anyway because I am sensitive to caffeine

• I too hate Dunkin Donuts coffee, it's nasty!

UK peeps, are the death cafes government funded?

• [Deleted User]squeakytoy (deleted user)

I like burnt food. Mmm, burnt toast, dark crispy rings on pancakes, all that good stuff!

• @squeakytoy I love how when cheese toast burns, and you peel away the black burnt layer like a cocoon and the cheese underneath is the most gooey stuff ever!

• Manual transmission is the best, especially if you are driving in the snow.

• [Deleted User]squeakytoy (deleted user)

@pmvines I've never tried that, but it sounds heavenly!!

• edited April 2021

@Cuddle_RN

UK peeps, are the death cafes government funded?

No. They don't really cost much and they are often run by charities or volunteers. I'm sure people are doing them online at the moment. They often happen in places where people meet anyway. For example, hospitals, libraries,community centres, etc. Sometimes a regular cafe (which is closed in the evenings) will have a death cafe on, say, the first Thursday evening of the month. The organiser will say a few words at the start, you buy your tea or coffee as usual, and then just chat away to the stranger next to you. Or whatever the format of that one is. They are normally free or very cheap to attend, and even if no formal arrangements have been announced for those struggling financially it's the kind of event that will be very sympathetic.

I've never been to one, but I know people who have and they always speak very positively about the experience. There is commonly quite a mixture of people: the bereaved, the seriously or terminally ill, people with current or past suicidal thoughts, medical professionals from specialities where people die a lot. Sometimes healthy people who are just really worried about dying. It doesn't matter, the point is simply that in this context death is not a taboo or difficult subject so you can talk about it freely.

• Unpopular opinions:

The best coffee is made from other stuff:
    There's a great barley substitute, flavour, full / rich as if cream is in it, but no bitterness.
    Chickory & coffee, as you get in New Orleans is THE BEST! Give me Café Du Monde, with a plate of beignet.

If you're going to eat cat food, dry is more palatable.

Death cafés should be like goth / alt clubs, but daytime, and they serve tea and scones.

@SoftPetals LOL

@DarkLordChungus Absolutely. It's bad enough we keep em in tiny pens, to gawk at, without then invading it with our vermin, then punishing them with death, when they defend their tiny territory. I'll up the ante and suggest the guardian of the child should then be charged with manslaughter, since their negligence caused a death. (Of the animal, the child being harmed is natural selection / darwin award, depending on situation)

@CuddleStella Not sure about raising one vs the other, but as a former homestay for foreign language students; boys are EASY to get along with, feed, share space with, and girls are difficult, passive aggressive princesses, that will cause infighting or chaos, if they get bored.

The son I've watched grow (raised himself, I only offered guidance when needed, he also shaped his own education, as homeschooler) was easier than a pet, just took longer to get potty trained, or not require supervision. He's the best roommate I have ever had. Bar none.

@Mango_girl Being sensitive to caffeine is the #1 reason to consume. What a kick!

@pmvines Same, but with roasting marshmallows. Char and peel is the same effect, but 1/20th the time as slow roast.

@squeakytoy I may never be able to feed you, satisfactorily.

@Maverick07: if everyone drove manual, there'd be no drive and text. Also: manual plus 4 wheel drive option, I can turn any vehicle into a snowplow.

edited April 2021

Oooh I've got a good one.

Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Family Guy and The Office are all overrated.

You should shower before you have a bath, else you're just sitting in gross body soup.

• edited April 2021

@BuggleBear agreed on all 5 points, but I'll still watch select scenes from GOT, just for the visuals

• It was written a hundred years ago, but @DarkLordChungus and @MaullySterling you might like this.

• Thank you, that was a fun romp

• edited April 2021

Slow car that feels fast is more fun than a fast car where you can't feel the speed as much (might be more of an unpopular opinion in the US than the UK)

• I don't know if it's unpopular but I think the troll(s) needs to come up with a less formulaic way of choosing its username. B)

Or how about another unpopular opinion; marijuana use isn't a substitute for a personality. If you'd like to talk more about this, feel free to drop me a line at Bonglord42069@potmail.com.

• @CuddleDuncan Would I be out of line asking you about the cat food?

• Not at all, I brought it up. I already posted above what I could remember about the circumstances, which aren't interesting. The only detail that has come back to me since then is that the whole thing arose somehow because there was a shortage of toast.