Unpopular Opinions

12346»

Comments

• [Deleted User]Starlost (deleted user)

And then there are birthdays.

I never understood why people are happy in their birthdays. To me it's only people constantly reminding me that the expiration-date clock is ticking away.

And why do they always say "I want to _____ for your birthday" (eg: take you to dinner). THEY want to? Do they forget it's not THEIR birthday?

• [Deleted User]DeadGirlWalking (deleted user)

@MaullySterling I feel the exact same way- I got massively guilt tripped for not doing anything for my maternal birth giver this year, despite the situation between us (which this person knew about).

They then proceeded to trip out the old 'blood is thicker than water' line.

A ) that's not even the full quote
    B ) So is Marmite but I don't want that in my veins.

• @BuggleBear
    LOL at the marmite comment.
    It's gotta be pretty bad, to overcome the child's imperative to love their parent. Why don't they get that?

• [Deleted User]DeadGirlWalking (deleted user)

@MaullySterling some people haven't had the kind of childhood we had and they can't fathom that a parent-child relationship could be anything less than nurturing and fulfilling.

Nice for them to be able to live in that kind of world, until they extend the view to everyone else without thinking or understanding.

• @pmvines I echo your words
    @Starlost maybe birthday could be seen as celebrating the fact of someone being alive for another year? I know that we get a year older on the clock and everyone dies - and I don't care much about them - but... just a different perspective.

• edited May 2021

@DarrenWalker I don't think she hated Mother's Day, just how commercialized and fueled by money it became. She wanted activities to revolve around honoring the sacrifices mothers made and not things you can/should buy (didn't like how flowers had to be a thing you have to get). I dont' understand the full history, but I think that part of the reason for making the holiday revolved around human rights and changing laws.

Speaking of which, not a fan of expensive rings for engagements. I understand a physical symbol helps to reinforce the vows you've taken, but that money is much better spent elsewhere, especially if they are a young couple. If the ring or whatever it is is affordable, I don't think that takes away any value from the bond. If someone spent $5000 versus $50 it doesn't mean their bond is 100 times stronger.

@MaullySterling If someone seems oblivious to mother's day and I don't know them well, I assume it's because maybe they don't have a mother or some kind of bad relationship so that they don't want to participate in it and I don't press the issue. these co-workers just don't realize how lucky they are.

• @MaullySterling I heard boys would be more independent than girls and well, I will have to see if i ever have a girl. I would love to but for now, my son has quite the independence in him and I LOVE it.

• [Deleted User]CharlesThePoet (deleted user)

@pmvines

“People who call themselves poets are pretentious. You wanna write then write but dont call yourself a poet”

I’m not disagreeing with you, but I use the title for its other meaning, a creative of uncommon imagination within a medium.

Also, because it cracks me up to be pretentious while wearing shorts and an old hooded sweatshirt.

• [Deleted User]squeakytoy (deleted user)
    edited June 2021
  • edited June 2021

@squeakytoy I am cringing at the defacement of an African-American icon.

• [Deleted User]percilla_law (deleted user)

Starbucks tastes like watered down coffee. Coffee Bean & Dunkin Donuts are better

• @percilla_law Don’t come for me like that! 😭 I have a $100 to $200/month Starbucks addiction... I prefer home coffee over everything but I’ll be damned if an ISE hasn’t gotten me through days and nights of hunching over my computer lately. 🤪

• [Deleted User]percilla_law (deleted user)

@Catloaf i'm sorry!! Do you have any favorite recommendations for drinks for us Starbucks haters, I might be able to be converted lol

• [Deleted User]squeakytoy (deleted user)

@FunCartel More than happy to put the Reddit Disapproving Face on a white dude instead.

• edited June 2021

@squeakytoy I have no problem with that, we have earned it.

• OMG! @Maverick07 ~ YES! To a manual in the snow! This last winter was a blast with our massive shut the city down storm! Though the half inch of ice on my windshield making it so I also had to navigate driving with my door open/leaning out to see, may have been a bit reckless. Especially during an on purpose power slide into a restaurant parking lot, and while bouncing all over the ruts left by others... but still... Whee!!!

• @DarrenWalker - that relaxing when others experience fear article is so interesting. Especially in light of what someone else & I were discussing on gaseous fumes released as it relates to bacteria production.

But here we’re dealing with an emotion. Which is typically intangible and hard to quantify but translated here in the form of sweat. I wonder similarly, if certain emotions have an impact on bacteria production or gas released from the skin.

If there were a correlation, why would fear based bacteria/gas production be calming to the autistic?

• @MaullySterling : Jewish people do not send flowers when people die. One because it will remind them more of that death when those die. Instead jews donate in that person's name. My understanding is because that way they will live on forever in a sense.

• Ketchup goes on a hotdog

• [Deleted User]CharlesInWI (deleted user)

@Bear

Most things do…

More than one killer lunch place has done very well by ignoring “the way it should be done” and giving people a new experience with an old standard.

• [Deleted User]RadiantBecca (deleted user)

That we create our own reality 😊