Media coverage - yes you can

I discovered cuddling through an agency called Nordic Cuddle. Sadly it no longer exists, having been lost to the pandemic. It was founded by an amazing person called Rebekka Mikkola. Sadly she has now moved on to other things, and is no longer involved in the cuddling world. This is both a great loss to the profession and to me personally. She was the first person I cuddled and I miss her a lot. (She is very strict about boundaries.)

It was her dream to bring cuddling to the world and to this end, in cooperation with her business partner Ryan Mizzen who I believe did a lot of the writing, she hit the media hard. She still has a personal webpage up, and below is the list of her media appearances. Go to her page for live links. I've highlighted some of the more interesting or important ones in bold, but I'm sure some of the others are gems - I haven't heard or seen them all. Those in italics are significant UK national media i.e. broadly the equivalent of CNN or the New York Times or something like that.

https://www.rebekkamikkola.com/press

She also created an excellent training programme with both academic and practical elements, accredited by two reputable external training organisations. Cuddlers she trained and who are on Cuddle Comfort, and who I recommend very highly indeed, are @Anirose, @Laflaka and @touchunwind. (There may also be others that I haven't met.)

Additionally, she made a whole bunch of videos, some of which I found really useful. Sadly those have been taken down.

The point is, if she can do it, so can you. And even if you can't do all of it, you can definitely do some of it.

(What's that you ask? Oh, no, she wasn't a media personality type at all. Not a natural in front of the camera. English? No, that's not her native language.)

TV

Sky News - Need a pick-me-up? Try cuddle therapy

ARTE - Re: Being Alone Together - Britain’s Struggle with Loneliness

ARD - Die Sendung vom 2. Februar 2018

bTV (interview starts at 8.12) - Финландка прегръща хората срещу 65 паунда на час

The Russell Howard Hour – Live Forever: Cuddle Therapy with Jon Richardson
(Russell Howard and Jon Richardson are well-known comedians in the UK, both with their own TV shows.)

Radio

BBC Radio 4 - Niche Work If You Can Get It: Cuddle Therapists

BBC Radio Cumbria - National Hugging Day

BBC Hereford and Worcester - Why do we crave hugs post lockdown?

BBC Radio Leicester - Coronavirus, hugs and touch

BBC Radio Scotland - What’s in a hug?

Heart FM - National Hugging Day and Blue Monday Interview

UK Health Radio - The Way Forward: Nordic Cuddling

YLE Vega (interview around 35 minutes in) - Vega Eftermiddag

Talks

TEDx Talk - Cuddling can make us better human beings

Geek Girl Team x Snapchat – The Science of Touch

Health Optimisation Summit - Human Contact, Touch & Hugs: The free & natural health hack for improving your wellbeing

Samsung KX & Time Out London – The Power of Touch

Warwick University - WarwickTECH Startup Day 2019 - How Technology Affects Human Society in the Context of Entrepreneurship and Human Interconnection

Sunderland University in London - Events and Wellbeing Conference - Wellbeing and Touch: Lessons Learned as the CEO of a Cuddle Therapy Company

Articles

Age UK London - The Power of Touch in Tackling Loneliness

Authority Magazine - Big Ideas: “Use Cuddle Therapy to address many health issues” With Rebekka Mikkola CEO of Nordic Cuddle

Balance Magazine - Nordic Hugging

Bluewin - Wider die Isolation: «Ministerium für Einsamkeit» und Kuschel-Profi sollen helfen

Brit + Co - Why Cuddling Is So Good for Your Health

Business Insider UK - 18 people share the one thing they do every day to make their lives better

Business Insider UK - Doing these 24 uncomfortable things will pay off forever

Business Insider NL - Deze 21 gewoontes zijn best lastig aan te leren….maar je hebt er de rest van je leven profijt van

Business Insider IN - 18 people share the one thing they do every day to make their lives better

Business Insider SG - Doing these 24 uncomfortable things will pay off forever

Business Insider AU - 18 people share the one thing they do every day to make their lives better

Business Insider MY - Doing these 24 uncomfortable things will pay off forever

Bustle - 16 Women On The First Time They Truly Felt Successful At Work

Buzzfeed - 54 Innovative Ideas By Modern Day Entrepreneurs That You May Not Know

The Canberra Times - A dire case of 'skin hunger' hits hard in self-isolation

Complementary Medical Association – Introducing Cuddle Therapy

Dagens Naeringsliv - Klemming er sunt, året rundt. Men er helsegevinsten like stor når noen profitterer på det?

Elite Daily - What Your Cuddle Position Reveals About Your Personality & The Way You Communicate

Fupping - How To Combat The Fear Of Loneliness/Autophobia (Fear of Being Alone)

GQ - Don't knock cuddle therapy until you've tried it

The Guardian - Nordic Cuddle therapy - would you pay £65 to hug a stranger?

Holistic Health Magazine - A Matter of Touch

Holistic Therapist Magazine - Losing Touch

IdeaMensch – Rebekka Mikkola: Founder of Nordic Cuddle

Idnes - Lidem chybí doteky, rozmáhá se tak nový wellness: placené mazlení

IFLScience - Doing These 24 Uncomfortable Things Will Pay Off Forever

Ilta-Sanomat - Suomalainen Rebekka tarjoaa Nordic Cuddle -halausterapiaa Lontoossa – tunnettu lehti halusi selvittää, mistä oikein on kyse

Insider - 18 people share the one thing they do every day to make their lives better

Leading Healthcare - Feature: How healthcare providers have responded to Covid19

Ma Vie Magazine - Kuscheln Wie Ein Richtiger Profi

Madame Figaro - Face à l’hégémonie des écrans, le besoin de contacts humains revient au premier pla

Marie Claire - Dit is waarom fysiek contact belangrijk is

Mladina - Bi plačali 75 evrov za seanso objemanja?

MSN - Nordic Cuddle therapy – would you pay £65 to hug a stranger?

O Popular - Contatos humanos

Psychologies Magazine - Hungry for your Touch

Reader’s Digest - Physical touch is key to well-being: here's why

Scandinavian Traveler Magazine - Cuddles For Health

Snap Italy - Biancolatte Hugs: a Milano il primo bar ispirato alla terapia degli abbracci

Stowe Family Law - How cuddle therapy can help when going through a divorce

Süddeutsche Zeitung - Was uns berührt

The Sunday Times – Meet the New Squeeze

Thrive Global - Big Ideas: “Use Cuddle Therapy to address many health issues” With Rebekka Mikkola CEO of Nordic Cuddle

Thrive Global - Doing These 24 Uncomfortable Things Will Pay Off Forever

Time Out - What’s the deal with... cuddle therapy?​

TVXS - Θεραπευτική αγκαλιά: Εσείς θα πληρώνατε 73 ευρώ για να κάνετε αγκαλιά έναν άγνωστο;

Wellness.com - Mental Health Awareness: 23 Experts on the Importance, Signs and Tips of Mental Illness

Woman Alive - Coping with a loss of connection

Yahoo! Lifestyle - Why Cuddling Is So Good for Your Health

YLE - Finländska Rebekka är legitimerad proffsmysare - hennes jobb är att kramas och mysa med okända: "Folk törstar efter platonisk beröring"

Letters

The Guardian - Loneliness is a touchy and complicated subject

Video

Diply – Nordic Cuddle

UNILAD – Unique: Professional Cuddler

Comments