Why doesn't Cuddlecomfort have an app?

It makes no sense. Takes forever to get responses when people have to log into a site.

1. Should cuddle comfort have an app?104 votes
    1. Yes
      78.85%
    2. No
      21.15%

Comments

• edited December 2021

Isn't there an app already? Or something which operates almost like an app. I'm using it on Android. But it may be an Android only thing.

• Because a full-scale app is very expensive to develop and CC is not primarily a commercial enterprise. In any case an app would not generate significant additional revenue.

It does have a ..... oh I can never remember the name. It looks and feels exactly like an app on phone, but technically it isn't. It doesn't quite work properly on iPhone because .... well, you know.

• Why cuddle comfort don't have Instagram

• I see your comments about how it can operate almost like an app on android. Very interesting. Please enlighten me.

• I have a feeling if CC had a presence on social media, it would get trolled horribly.

• Yeah, I'm not with the whole ig idea. But an app, so that notifications are a thing when you are in the middle of a conversation? Yeah. This thing of conversations being 10 min. To 3 days between sentences, just makes people want to leave the site to have a continuous conversation.

• Agreed with @Kcorsh86
    People are use to being notified now. So having to check the site constantly when I have a million other things to do becomes a pain. Hate to give out a number too but sometimes it just makes for better communication and speeds up the process of setting an appointment.

• An alternative I find useful for not giving out your number of 18 years and 3,500 contacts, is to use Telegram or twitter DMs.

• You can link a browser page and save it on the home screen on your phone. It isn't hard to do. Not everything needs a dedicated app.

• I'm with @MissMidland and @Kcorsh86 i don't like the app, too much notifications are problems and spam emails so annoying, i can't sleep

• edited December 2021

An app would save so much time for a lot of people. I have Apple and yes, the site is attached to my home page for quicker access. But I do have to check my emails to see if I have any messages or friend requests (which I think would be cool to notify when you have one instead of manually clicking the tab to see) Only messages show up with a red icon. Can’t be on the site for an extensive time waiting for a response you know?

I wonder if there’s a community/host app where Cuddle Comfort could be an option to join. Sort of like downloading a game app (as far as the format of it) and having the ability to select different communities to be apart of. It would definitely involve research on communities that would be appropriate and safe for the people of this site.

I’ll probably add this to the suggestion thread. But I believe it to not be such a bad idea if the cost of an individual app is costly for the site’s creators at this time.

• The other thing that's annoying about this site is the number of people that show they haven't logged in for 2 months. Maybe they forgot. An app would fix that. So people who are actually interested would be on and respond and people who are no longer interested would uninstall it or pause their availability (potential app feature)

• @Kcorsh86 - You can pause your availability on the website and you'll never know if they just uninstalled the app. You get notified via email whenever somebody sends you a message.

• @Kcorsh86 you can use the Filter options to limit the results to people who have logged in during the last week, or last month.

A few people do come back after a few months. I did, for example, a while ago. But yes, accounts that haven't logged in for two months are best ignored.

The site is working on a long term project to deal with very old, dead accounts.

• edited December 2021

Found it! Here's the thread last time we talked about this.

https://www.cuddlecomfort.com/forum/discussion/12378/cuddlecomfort-in-an-app

Quote from me with embedded quote from Mark, the site owner:

There is a phone version which looks and feels like an app, but technically isn't.

Sadly I can't remember the technical name. There is also a limitation which is beyond the scope of Cuddle Comfort to fix, and I can't remember that either..... it doesnt' work properly on iphones or something because Apple .... well, you know.

The question comes up from time to time, and the site's management are very well aware of it. Creating a 'native app' is relatively expensive.

Edit: found it .....

Comment from Mark:

It's a PWA app. So on Android you should see the 'Install App' button in Settings page but for iPhone you'd need to save the website to your home screen for it to activate. iOS also currently lacks support for the Push notifications in PWA.

So yeah, if you're an Android user, the app is as good as a native app right now.

https://www.cuddlecomfort.com/forum/discussion/comment/103143#Comment_103143

PWA = Progressive Web Application

• Having CC be an app would be a nice-to-have, but given what's available to users via the web experience, I don't think it's necessary. Plus apps cost money to develop and support - it's possible those that run this website don't have the staff or finances to make an app happen.

I'm an Android user so the web experience, on my phone, essentially feels like an app. Sounds like iOS users have, I'm assuming, the desktop UI vs the mobile UI that I see?

• Most people want the app for quicker notifications when they receive messages rather than emails. Well if you've got an Android phone that's currently possible on both Mobile and Desktop. You need to first "Install App" in the settings area, and then you can navigate to Notifications area and enable the toggle for Push Notifications.

You can even send a test notification to your device to check what it looks like and see it working. Whenever someone sends you a message you will get an instant notification, or you can configure it to consolidate notifications daily/weekly.

Note: Installing the App essentially adds it as an icon to your phone and makes it feel more like a native app. iPhone/iOS does NOT support push notifications unfortunately - as much as we would love to add it, it's a technical limitation on apple devices for web apps. Hopefully that will improve in future.

If your on iPhone - what you could try doing is setting up filters on your email so they auto categorise CC as priority emails, possibly with subject like "New message" that way you can ensure you'll always get prompt notifications.

• If you're on iPhone, consider upgrading to Android. Apple products are garbage.

• What I annoying is when on iPhone I have the tan open to the website open, but it always resets my settings and defaults. It’s annoying. And yes wish there was a chatting option.

• It doesn't take forever for me to, I usually stay logged in on my device and just load the page.

• An app would be alright, but probably isn't a realistic expectation given the size of this site. And the site is fine. I definitely don't think the fact that it's a site has much to do with why people don't reply promptly.

@Kcorsh86

The other thing that's annoying about this site is the number of people that show they haven't logged in for 2 months.

This is a complete non-issue. If you don't want to deal with these people, change your search settings so you don't see them.

• [Deleted User]Moxytocin (deleted user)
    edited December 2021

Somehow, I have an app on my phone. I don't remember what I did but it's not an app in Google Play. Also it does not show notifications but I get email notifications and when an email notification pops up, I go check it and it takes me to the app, and I'm always logged in.

• @MaineCuddle - It's a link on your home screen that opens CC in your browser. Not an actual app.

• Every time I get a message on here or someone mentions me in a comment I get an email notification. While an app would be nice getting that email notification lets me stay on top of message in real time

• I/m able to get Cuddle Comfort on both my computer and cell phone.....just go to the cell browser. That's what I do. No problems.

• [Deleted User]cuddlestogive (deleted user)

While the idea of an app is nice, the site really doesn't need one. Every browser, be it pc or phone, has the ability for multiple tabs. You can just as easily keep one tab for CC in any browser you're using. That's what I do for easy access any time I get a message from another cuddler. I have them on my laptop as well as my phone.

• edited January 2022

Apps take constant upkeep. I think the website functions just fine.

• edited January 2022

if you are a pro cuddler, iphone user, and need notifications
    -set up a separate email address for CC
    -add the email address in to the iphone mail app.
    -have your iphone set to notify you when you get emails, from that specific email address

That would give you the notifications you need, without the need for an app.

• Others have said it but I want to reiterate: one does not simply "make an app". It's a monstrous effort, I've tried, and nothing on the scale of a site like this. People who make software in their free time are awesome but they often don't get credit for just how much work goes into making a quality, professional grade app.

It also depends on how the site was architectured; in some cases it would be just as much work to keep an app maintained in addition to the website, and when the benefits for making an app are few, it just isn't worth the effort.

On the other hand, there are also ways to make an app that's even easier; you make a shell that hosts your website, but you can do native things like notifications. However, this again requires specific architecture of the app, using technologies that people who write websites might not have, because there's an insane amount of different ways to write software and few can be an expert in all of them.

That's my two cents from someone who has gotten comments like "I don't know why the developer even tries" on an app I made for fun and for free. This thread isn't rude like the cherished individual who left that comment, but I guess what I'm trying to get at is to appreciate the effort that is being put forward and recognize the effort (or money, which generally directly translate) required by tasks.

I am always in favor of there being some of native app, even if it's just a wrapper, but I appreciate that I don't think there many players in the cuddle space and I appreciate what there is.

• [Deleted User]MutedMath (deleted user)

@InsaneZane
    You are right that app development takes more resources than most people are aware. I applaud those who make open source and free contributions. However I don't think it would be too difficult to spin up a companion application to the site (Something similar to those craigslists apps, just fetching APIs and sending notifications).

Unfortunately, I'm not a javascript guy, but I think React solves the native development issue too. Maintenance on the other hand isnt so easily done, especially for free.

I personally believe that an app would bring way more new users. I'm not sure how everyone feels about that, I believe that the cuddle space is a niche environment, it's possible most prefer it that way. Visibility on the app stores will definitely drive traffic.

While the site functions just fine. I don't think majority of mobile users use their browsers as much as dedicated apps and theres way more mobile users than anything. I don't know anything about the site creator(s), but I'm sure the thought has come up.

Maybe a Q and A can be done, or maybe we can crowdsource a small dev team to get something up.