Who likes video games?

As I've been mostly lurking here since sometime in October I've seen a few mentions of games and that's gotten me wondering how many gamers we have here. I only have a couple of gamer friends and it might be nice to find some others to talk with or play with.

I first really started getting into gaming with real time strategy games like Warcraft and Age of Empires back around 1995, but the past decade or so has led me into open world games like Skyrim and Fallout where I have sunk many, many hours. My all-time favorite is Minecraft. It is the only online multiplayer game that I've played for any length of time, and it's where I met my two gamer friends. One's in Canada and the other is in Maryland. So what are some of y'all's favorite games?

Comments

• [Deleted User]Victoria92 (deleted user)
    I'm a Gamer!! I'm a relatively new gamer comparatively. I really like Skyrim, Fallout, Overwatch, Blackwake, and Horizon Zero Dawn but I play many others. Sometimes I play on my brother's Minecraft server. I love the community feeling I get when I play games and play with my group of friends all the time. I love it!
  • I set up a server years ago to try to get my little sister into Minecraft so that we could have some way to hang out after she moved to Seattle, but she only got on a couple of times before quitting. I did manage to get her hooked on Mario Kart a little over a year ago, though, when I was up there visiting.

What are Blackwake and Horizon like? I've never heard of them. The only tower defense game I've played is Brink; it's not really my thing (especially online where so many people are seriously competetive), so I've not bothered with Overwatch. It might be more fun if I had local friends to play with. The two times I played halo locally were fun. It's more enjoyable for me to play non-competitive stuff with online people.

Since I started out playing alone, that's what I mostly stick with. Oblivion is what drew me into Bethesda games with it's modability. Then the chance to get lost in role-playing a different kind of person kept me hooked. I like trying to sink into the mindset of the character I play and flesh out the world with imagined backstory. When I play a thief in Skyrim I steal every sweetroll I can find so that the guards make sense saying, "Let me guess... somebody stole your sweetroll," a third of the time that you talk to them. I had a really fun little story for one of the Vault 88 settlers in Fallout 4 on my last playthrough. I made a special room for the guy that promises to not rob you blind when he first shows up. The bathroom of his apartment had the wall busted out to give access to a makeshift elevator that went down to a hidden workshop/scavenger area outside the main vault where he kept all the bits and pieces that he couldn't break the habit of scooping up when nobody was looking.
  • I am on PS4. I like RPGs like Fallout, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Diablo. Also like GTA, and the XCOM series in recent times. Been a gamer for 30 years
  • [Deleted User]CuddleBandit (deleted user)
    edited March 2017
    I don't see what this has to do with cuddling, but since you ask here you go. I play B03, Titanfall 2 and GTA5 on Xbox One. I like these games because they keep my mind off things. It would be great if I could get into some PC gaming next. Minecraft mods! 
  • [Deleted User]CuddleBandit (deleted user)
    edited March 2017
    How about Syberia? The first and second part have a beautiful story and setting. You guys like adventure games? 
  • [Deleted User]Victoria92 (deleted user)
    @Mailleweaver Blackwake is a new game where you can play as either a Pirate or Royal Nav and try to sink ships. It's not quite MMO as you can only have about 80ish people on a server at most. You pick a side then pick a boat then pick a captain and then you can fire cannons, repair the boats and sail, shoot the other boat's sails, or be the captain and steer the ship. Its a lot of fun but it does get a bit repetitive.
    Horizon is the best game I've ever played. It's right up there with Skyrim. The biggest difference is it is not an RPG. You are a set character but by playing that character it draws you into the story and makes you invested in the lives of the NPCs.
    I like playing games with people because I get lonely really easily. If I'm playing a solo game like Horizon or Skyrim, I like to talk to people, whether it be in my friend's discord or to my brother or to viewers on twitch. I generally stick to the backstory I'm given when it comes to games but I like to make up stories to the NPCs sometimes.
    PC MASTER RACE FTW!! Lol but really PC is just more. It's easier to control in my opinion and you get better graphics(depending on your card) and you have these subtle differences that make it that much better. Also, Console commands....i'madirtycheater.
    @CuddleBandit Do all forums in the general chat have to be cuddle related?
  • Oooh cool thread! :)

For wiiu I like smash brothers i get super competitive. And party games like mario party and Nintendo land can be super fun :D
    Ps4 there are a few really cool games that are really artistic that I really love; Flower, entwined, and journey. theres a few more that i really loved but cant remember the titles of for the life of me il mention them when I remember lol.

resogun on ps4 is fun too and really addicting lol before I had internet or cable in my apartment thats all I had for entertainment, and I gotta say it served its purpose I was all about that game for a few days.its like a arcade shooting game.
    And Goofy games can be a lot of fun too. I have this one game called I AM BREAD and youre literally a peice of bread that needs to make it across the kitchen to become toast without getting nasty lol and theres like subsections where you can play as a bagel and race or a baguette where you smash things and get a high score lol. :)
  • edited March 2017
    Left4Dead, CSGO, Worms and more recently Rocket League. 

I also have a Vive but the content is somewhat lacking. Though Valve is working on 3 titles for VR which is exciting.

• [Deleted User]Alternis (deleted user)
    My first video game was wolfenstein 3d on msdos. I used to play age of empires and I got my game from a box of cereal.
    Enjoyed minecraft for one playthru then enjoyed it again for daybreaker.

I have a day 1 steam account from when I used to play Counterstrike, currently only play overwatch on pc
  • edited March 2017
    "I have a day 1 steam account from when I used to play Counterstrike"

Snap! Back when it was thought to be a terrible thing. That didn't last long. :)

How far back did you play CS? I started around beta 5.2... 
    Im not entirely sure but I bought half life when it was new and tried counter strike when it was a mod. I didn't play much because I was on 56k so id have to go to Lans after school to play counterstrike for some lag free owning. I miss those days tbh.
  • edited March 2017
    Yeah, very nostalgic. I remember playing on 56k and being incredibly envious of those that were playing on ISDN with their latency being in the double digits.
  • @CuddleBandit What this has to do with cuddling is finding common ground, building community, and making friends if you need an excuse. We'll get along with each other best if we get to know each other in more than one way. Plus, gaming can directly be part of cuddling just like watching movies or visiting parks. The most fun I've ever had gaming was when my girlfriend sat on my lap while we played Mario Kart together. I kept winning as we played side-by-side on the couch, so she sat on my lap to distract me. It worked wonderfully and almost gave her the lead. ;) Truthfully, though, gaming is just something I'm interested in and wanted to bring up. Mark said he expected off-topic stuff to start coming up eventually and had nothing against it, so here we are.

I thought Super Smash Bros would be fun, but the version for WiiU doesn't have story mode like the one for Wii did, so it's incredibly boring without friends to play with. I'm not really much of a console gamer outside of Mario Kart and Zelda since I don't like platformer games or handheld controllers. The only reason I even have a WiiU was so that I could keep up with my
    girlfriend when we played at her place. I've hardly touched it since she
    left. Most games that aren't racing/flying games are much easier to control with a mouse and keyboard, and they have much more flexibility for modding and such on the computer.

Modding is definitely what interests me most in games. The community can come up with so much more interesting content than the developers can imagine or ever hope to fund that there's not much to compete with it. A huge part of many games' success is the modding community around them. The first game that got me into modding was Age of Empires II. It wasn't intended to be modded, but someone wrote a third party program that could unpack and repack the data files. That gave limited access to a kid who liked tweaking things to his own style of fun. From there I started looking for other games that could be modded and found Oblivion. That pulled me on into open world games, all of which have the most modability and turned into my favorites: Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Fallout 4, Minecraft, and X3 Terran Conflict.

There are a few games that I thoroughly enjoyed without mods, though. The first few of Assassin's Creed, A Story About My Uncle, Portal, Black & White, Diablo II, and of course all the old stragety games I played back in the day. Unfortunately those old games can't be played anymore if their makers haven't released no-CD patches since Microsoft did away with the SafeDisc drivers that allowed the CDs to be detected.
  • [Deleted User]chococuddles (deleted user)
    I started on the Commodore 64. Carts and floppy disks!  Now I rock out on PS4 and Wii U(no Switch until next month).  2D fighters were my fav but I've been playing Second Son and Street Fighter 5 mostly lately.  Looking forward to playing Zero Dawn Horizon (always forget the order of the words) - and really can't wait for Mario Odyssey but that's not even out until the end of the year.  They should have released it with the Switch. 

Also a huge Neo Geo/SNK fan and bought a 3DO just to play Samurai Shodown.  Sad but true.

Game on.
  • [Deleted User]kittenlover (deleted user)
    I love gaming, my first system was a sega genesis, nintendo and super nintendo. Now I'm a rpger with my original ps2, ps3, xbox360, psp, my original nes/snes and nintendo ds. I mostly play kingdom hearts series, final fantasy series, the tale series, reckoning, payday, payday 2, and others. It's to long a list to type up!
  • No...I totally get this! CUDDLING AND VIDEO GAMES SOUNDS EFFING AMAZING!!! Like, seriously! That would be so fun and I would be down with that. Besides...if a client wants to play a game that I like, makes it even better as i'Lloyd have a gaming partner! yes!
    But for me, I love jrpgs, rpg, rpg-variants, moba, open world, some fighers, and etc.
    Examples of my favorite games are FF series,Disgaea series, Metal Gears Solid series, DOA, Borderlands 2, Skyrim and yata yata yata lol. Games are a great way to spend or direct excess energy or negative energy into positive.
    @Rei there was a cuddler with a giant HD projector hooked up to a Playstation where we'd cuddle and watch Netflix. I told her next time it was on my bucketlist to cuddle and play a game on that giant screen but some jerk had to ruin cc for her and she quit.

Even though ill probably not be able to do that on a giant screen and cross it off my bucketlist soon. I still wanna do that with some pro on a regular TV. Haha
  • edited March 2017
    A year or so ago I pulled out my old nintendo to play Duck Hunt and found out that the gun doesn't work with most modern flatscreen TVs because they're too slow. The white flashes that calibrate the gun and give it a target come too late, so every shot is counted as a miss no matter what. Then I pulled out my sega genesis and found out that I don't have any controllers that work anymore. My N64 also overheats and locks up after about 30 minutes of playing. So much for nostalgic gaming. :(
  • I like Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noire on PS3.    Rockstar games is a great developer.    I'm looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2 but I have to wait until fall to play it :/  and I have to buy a PS4.
  • @Alternis, hell, I would totally be down for that xD. Sadly, I am so far away. But gaming under the covers is sooo comfy. Did that all the time as a kid. Hell, I still play my 3DS under the sheets
  • As a teenager, I used to play a lot of strategy games (Age of Empires, Warcraft, Empire Earth) and played a lot of CS Source in college. Now I just sometimes blow off steam with casual co-op games like L4D2 and CSGO. I've kinda moved away from action games and prefer unconventional games with an emphasis on puzzle-solving. The Portal series and Limbo are among my favorites. Would've played more games if I had more time though!
  • Oh man, @rollypolly! You just reminded me of the Myst series. It has some amazing games. My favorite of the series was Riven, the second game. I spent loads of time as a kid wandering through its worlds and picking out its story. I've not found or heard of another puzzle series that can match what the Myst games accomplished.
  • [Deleted User]VIPirate (deleted user)
    edited March 2017
    Ooh, good timing on this thread and right up my alley. I'm old enough, at 38, to have had an Atari 2600 when I was a kid. I've always had love for video games and recently invested in a PS4 bundle that came with Uncharted 4. I also picked up Mortal Kombat XL, Doom and WWE 2K17 to start out with. That's going to be it for now so that I can learn their nuances and still maintain a semblance of a social life. ;) Once I do decide to invest in a few more titles, I'll likely branch out to a few different genres since I've got adventure, fighting and shooter covered at the moment. I wish Konami would offer a new Suikoden release for consoles but I'm not holding my breath. I was a big fan of that RPG series.
  • @Mailleweaver I haven't played the Myst games but would love to try them out. More and more games are now breaking away from traditional styles. There are plenty of good titles to choose from. I bought 40 bucks of games on Steam during Black Friday last year and haven't had the time to play all of them yet!
  • I have a bunch of games in my Steam library that haven't been played, too. There's just no way to try them all. I even have a couple of games for the Wii that I haven't gotten into as much as I would like, and another Zelda game that's come out now that I've heard is really good. I wish I could find local friends that like to game so we could play and socialize at the same time. :)
  • ps4 games now that I can remember lol.
    -Bound and abzu. bound is a crazy artistic game that you can basically enter this womans drawings and it represents her sad childhood and its all about her ballet dancing and stuff. My description doesnt do it justice sadly :(
    Abzu is an aquatic game that you can meditate under the water, and connect with fish and see underwater art and stuff. Also very cool if you are into Zen gaming and appreciating art ^.^
    Video games and cuddling sounds like an amazing combo <3
  • [Deleted User]masterofcuddle (deleted user)
    I just do sports games now...Madden and Nba 2k ...but rarely have time for that
  • Sports have never interested me in the slightest.
    @Victoria92 I just saw a little bit of gameplay from Horizon Zero Dawn. Now I'm going to have to play it myself.

@Brandi You might like Okami. It's a very visually interesting adventure game. The whole thing is like a painting. I don't know which platforms it's available on, though. I have a version for the Wii.
  • Man...I wanna play Metal Gear series again and Silent Hill