Solar eclipse April 8th , 2024

edited March 6 in General

Hey Cuddle Peeps ๐Ÿ‘‹. So some of us fortunate few will get a chance at witnessing a solar eclipse this year (after this one the next USA one isnโ€™t till 2044! )

Anyways anyone got plans for this ? Be a cool public cuddle opportunity I think ๐Ÿค”

ยซ134

Comments

• My employer has announced they will be closed on April 8 due to the massive traffic jams our county emergency management director has warned us about.

We have been advised to fill up our vehicles, make sure to buy groceries, and get some cash out of the ATM by April 6 because we are expecting so many visitors in my area that the grocery stores, gas stations and ATMs may all get cleaned out due to the excess demand.

A local hotel that normally goes for between $150 to $200 per night raised their rates to $1,200 per night with a 3 night minimum and they sold out of rooms months ago.

• edited March 7

A total solar eclipse is a truly wonderful event. Definitely see it if you have the chance.

The photos show you what the sun looks like, but they don't convey what the whole experience feels like.

• @JohnR1972 wow thanks for that info! I'll pack a lunch and start with a full tank.

• I'll be there! A full solar eclipse has been on my bucket list for years. My fashionable eclipse goggles arrive from Amazon tomorrow. Reserved a room at my cousin's house along the path of totality in Indiana, headed there a few days ahead from Mid Michigan. Much more reasonably priced (ok, bribed) with Michigan wine and cooking as payment options.
    @JohnR1972 Guess I should bring a full gas can for my return trip so I don't have to take out a loan for a fill up.

• Omg that would be an epic cuddle. Great idea!

• That's cool.
    My area will only get 40-45% but I'm not traveling far enough east or north though to see totality.

• I requested off work 11 months in advance for the eclipse and I STILL barely got it approved since everyone wanted that day. I can't wait!

• Well, I guess its finally time for me to take that trip to Niagara that Iโ€™ve been meaning to take.

• Cuddling during an eclipse sounds pretty nice to me.

• edited March 7

I think it sounds like a great cuddle adventure ๐Ÿ˜Š. The Monday during the work week at 3 pm ish is a bummer but we are excited about this coming up though !!!

• This event is only two weeks away. ๐Ÿ‘

Everybody got their special glasses ready yet? ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• edited March 25

Bah, we're just outside the visible zone here in the UK. We have a lunar eclipse today too but that's probably the same :/ Enjoy though.

• As always, BE SAFE and use the right protection.

Check here for a list of verified manufacturers and vendors:

American Astronomical Society
    https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/viewers-filters

Eclipse glasses must meet the safety requirements of the ISO 12312-2 international standard. Your glasses may be marked:
    ISO 12312-2:2015 or ISO 12312.2-2015.

"Unfortunately, some vendors sell solar eclipse glasses with the ISO label that havenโ€™t actually been tested and certified. The only way to be totally sure that your eclipse glasses are safe is to buy them from a source that the American Astronomical Society (AAS) has approved as reputable." -AAS

• When you don't use approved glasses:

• I got mine already ๐Ÿ˜Ž. Letโ€™s go!!

• As stylish as these glasses are--and they certainly are cool--it is strongly advisable to refrain from driving, running, or walking while wearing them... or anytime collisions with another object are probable.

• @TxTom is it that the glasses are cool ? Or maybe Iโ€™mโ€ฆ..๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

• @OhioMike These maps are great! ๐Ÿค—

Iโ€™ll be experiencing it from home in Austin.

• awww thank you @Erin_Elle_ ๐Ÿ˜Š peeps are def excited around these parts. !

• Too bad itโ€™s not passing over my state. I wonder if weโ€™ll see a partial at all. ๐Ÿค”

• edited March 28

Anyone planning on a solar eclipse cuddle? I think it could be kinda cool!

Topic 'Solar Eclipse cuddles' merged here

• I bet @Babichev and @Bella_Sera will get to see it from STL!!

This is so cool.

Solar eclipse cuddles sounds DREAMY (even though itโ€™s in the middle of a workday ๐Ÿ˜‚)

• @sillysassy StL is just outside of the area of total coverage. Less than 100 miles to the south or the east is well into the heart of the darkness. It is about a six hour drive for me. Well worth doing. There are few opportunities that close. Just hope it is not cloudy.

• @KansasDad ooooohhhh YES!

I couldnโ€™t see the Washington Post link but this one from NASA has a YouTube video.

So fun!! ๐ŸŒโœจ๐ŸŒž

https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/future-eclipses/eclipse-2024/where-when/