Quote of the Day

Comments

• Words, emotions, attitudes all have their place. Each in turn can be positive or negative, helpful or hurtful. But all three remain limited until expressed with action. Even the slightest action can unchain the power in each.
    Angry, hateful words silenced with a simple act of kindness; beautiful, poetic, inspirational words multiples their beauty when accompanied by an act of sacrifice or courage.
    When I act for the sake of someone else my anger and frustration dissipates. I am in that moment truly free.

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

@MissAdventurous: ?? Well said, Rachael Alaia!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    —C. S. Lewis

• “If we could sleep twenty-four hours a day, we would soon return to the primordial slime, the beatitude of that perfect torpor before Genesis-the dream of every consciousness sick of itself.”

— E.M. Cioran, from The Trouble with Being Born

• @hogboblin yes. Love that.

In the words of H.P. LOVECRAFT:
    "From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent."

• edited March 2019

@MissAdventurous

Ah, Lovecraft.

“Speaking of industrio-economic matters—let me assure you that a 2-or-3-dollar-a-week dietary programme need not involve even a particle of malnutrition of unpalatability if one but knew what to get and where to get it. The tin can and delicatessen conceal marvellous possibilities!”

From a letter to Jonquil Stephens (Fritz Leiber’s wife). It should be noted that he died a year later of intestinal cancer, which was generally worsened by malnutrition.

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

@hogboblin: Aw, dang. I could see myself going that way....

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes."
    —Erasmus

• @DarrenWalker ooohhhh that resonates so much for me. ?

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading." - Ray Bradbury.

• Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

• Oscar Wilde... Yes! @FunCartel love it.

• edited March 2019

@MissAdventurous I absolutely love Oscar Wilde. Did an in-depth paper on him once in one of my doctoral classes on “Reading Gaol.”

He is the king of quotes:

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

I have nothing to declare except my genius.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about.

The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.

• "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

• Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Look up, laugh loud, talk big, keep the color in your cheek and the fire in your eye, adorn your person, maintain your health, your beauty and your animal spirits. --William Hazlitt

• In your sleep
    You dreamed
    And what if
    In your dream
    You went to heaven
    And there plucked a strange and beautiful flower
    And what if
    When you awoke
    You had that flower in you hand
    Ah, what then?

Samuel Taylor Coleridge, The Complete Poems

• John Dryden:

Dancing is the poetry of the foot

Fool that I was, upon my eagle's wings I bore this wren, till I was tired with soaring, and now he mounts above me.

We first make our habits, and then our habits make us.

• "There are three things which build and maintain civilization throughout time: pure air, pure water, and pure food. And as an eternal truth I say unto you, that there are three things which bring the end of civilization, even the mightiest that have ever been and shall ever be, from the beginningless beginning to the endless end of all time: impure air, impure water, and impure food." - Avesta, c. 3000 BC.

• "But because being here is much, and because all this
    that's here, so fleeting, seems to require us and strangely
    concerns us. Us the most fleeting of all. Just once,
    everything, only for once. Once and no more. And we, too,
    once. And never again. But this
    having been once on earth - can it ever be cancelled?" - Rainer Maria Rilke

• If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.

Nelson Mandela

• edited March 2019

LET IT GO
    By Danna Faulds

Let go of the ways you thought life would unfold, the holding of plans or dreams or expectations – Let it all go.
    Save your strength to swim with the tide.

The choice to fight what is here before you now will only result in struggle, fear, and desperate attempts to flee from the very energy you long for.
    Let go. Let it all go and flow with the grace that washes through your days whether you received it gently or with all your quills raised to defend against invaders.

Take this on faith; the mind may never find the explanations that it seeks, but you will move forward nonetheless.
    Let go, and the wave’s crest will carry you to unknown shores, beyond your wildest dreams or destinations.

Let it all go and find the place of rest and peace, and certain transformation.

MOD: Photo removed. Nudity is not allowed. [SoulcuddlerZ]

• [Deleted User]Candy26 (deleted user)

@trackcoachred I just woke up and see your comment as first. And it inspired me.

My quote is from Rumi:
    What you seek is seeking you.

• Dear Candy. Thanks! And nice use of the Rumi Quote. I am just going to sleep.

My return quote, for which Rumi cannot be held responsible, is: "If what I seek is seeking me, then, PERHAPS, it now knows where to find me?".

All best
    Henry

• PS Your cat looks amazing. But just slightly spooky?

• “Satan has certainly been the best friend the church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years. The false doctrine of Hell and the Devil has allowed the Protestant and Catholic Churches to flourish far too long. Without a devil to point their fingers at, religionists of the right hand path would have nothing with which to threaten their followers. "Satan leads you to temptation"; "Satan is the prince of evil"; "Satan is vicious, cruel, brutal," they warn. "If you give in to the temptations of the devil, you will surely suffer eternal damnation and roast in Hell."
    The semantic meaning of Satan is the "adversary" or "opposition" or the "accuser." The very word "devil" comes from the Indian devi which means "god." Satan represents opposition to all religions which serve to frustrate and condemn man for his natural instincts. He has been given an evil role simply because he represents the carnal, earthly, and mundane aspects of life.”
    ― Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

• edited March 2019

I don’t want to go to heaven. None of my friends are there.

Oscar Wilde (again)

• [Deleted User]loveandsky (deleted user)

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.
    -- Groucho Marx

• “The problem with any kind of counterculture is that it is doomed to be immersed into the ruling ideology, and commodified.”

— Matthías Haraldsson, of the band Hatari.

• "Say one more word and I'll scream!"

--Eliza Doolittle (Lerner & Loewe)

• "Travel makes one modest, you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."

• Gustave Flaubert