Quote of the Day

Comments

• “Everything you’ve ever wanted is sitting on the other side of fear.”

-George Addair

• Judge a devil by their deeds, not by who or what they are

• "Like a welcome summer rain, humor may suddenly cleanse and cool the earth, the air and you."

Langston Hughes

• @happinesshenry I love that movie actually.

• This thread reminded me of the prologue to a This American Life episode: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/663/how-i-read-it/prologue-2 It is only about 10 minutes and it's pretty amusing.

• He is richest who is content with the least,
    for content is the wealth of nature.

• Socrates
  • Courage is the art of being the only one
    who knows you're scared to death.

• Earl Wilson
  • "Each day is a gift, that's why they call it the present"

• Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become.

C. S. Lewis

• edited March 2019

... And the more that I see the more that I know... I don't know anything at all. And the more that I breathe and start to go slow, oh, all the many things I can only recall.

▪️Jhené Aiko from her song Eternal Sunshine... Though the first part of the lyric is actually a quote credited to Socrates... I think.

EDIT: I looked up this one today and apparently it's actually Plato's paraphrased account of Socrates' words: "I neither know nor think that I know".

• Spring is nature's way of saying, 'Let's party!' Robin Williams

• WORD FOR THE DAY
    The grateful heart is a manifestation of one's true self. Nothing sidelines the ego more effectively than a grateful heart.
    ALBERT NOLAN

• If you don’t build your dreams, someone will hire you to build theirs.

• Daring to set boundaries is about having the courage to love ourselves, even when we risk disappointing others.

Brene Brown

• edited April 2019

"Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
    Take the world in a love embrace"
    Steppenwolf. Born To Be Wild

For @PleasantlyPunk

• @MissAdventurous This is kind of sad in hindsight coming from Ernest Hemingway.

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)
    edited April 2019

• "Yond Cassius hath a lean and hungry look. Me thinks he doth think too much: such men are dagerous" Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.

• "Sound and fury. Signifying nothing." Shakspeare's Macbeth

• “One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered.”
    ― Michael J. Fox

• "Where are my pants?"
    Michael J. Fox (Back To The Future)

• I now know what I'm going to be watching tonight!

• edited April 2019

“No one recovers from the disease of being born, a deadly wound if there ever was one.”

— E.M. Cioran

• [Deleted User]CharlesTwisted (deleted user)

“Love is the best thing in the world. But baseball is pretty good too.”

• Yogi Berra.
  • [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

—Terry Pratchett, Men At Arms

• Most people can clear their heads with a good bowel movement.