PHYSICAL SAFETY

edited November 2019 in General

Edit: Folks, please only answer if you have solutions to what I'm asking for. If this becomes a discussion about how to respect the privacy of strangers you are taking to your home suggestions. Or how people who want to feel secure should take the same old precautions, despite the blaring contradiction that currently that is a game of roulette rather than a formal secure process, this thread could lose some focus.

Does anyone have experience navigating physical safety concerns by bringing in a third party check to ensure physical safety of two strangers meeting?
I've tried to consider
-asking for enough info I could share with a friend so that someone else knows who I'm with.
-with this I've considered.. facebook profile, or ID, or name and where someone works.. anything that would make a person knowable to a friend.
-maybe there is a website (perhaps even a mechanism on this website?) that helps people show up for each other in that way?
-suggesting signing up for a night stay with an airbnb verification for 3rd party identification.

I'm uncomfortable cuddling with a person unless that new person knows that someone knows who I'm with, and wants me to have that sense of security. If I tell a stranger I want a friend to know who I'm with and they are uncomfortable with that, I feel unsafe with them, and it seems to me this website is not designed to know someone long enough to know that you're secure with someone you go alone somewhere with.
To me, if my cuddle partner knows I'm accounted for, they are securing that they are safe. In light of the insight the me too movement offered, I no longer feel it's responsible to meet people I don't know, who could possibly be in that spectrum of people who violate consent, without them knowing that someone else is aware of who they are and that I'm alone with them.
I don't care if this third party is a personal friend, or anyone else.. I just think that if I'm getting to know someone slowly there should be safety precautions (that I'm also willing to offer.)
And yet, this has been a barrier for connection. It also troubles me that this burden of incompatibility is on me. What it tells me, is that all these potential partners are meeting people and that there's not much care in the culture to ensure people are kept safe. I glanced at the terms and conditions here, and in the personal safety section it's warning people not to give personal information and to "use extreme caution" when giving personal information over, with mentions about harassment if one does. It doesn't say in the personal safety section anything about using extreme caution when putting your body alone with someone else.. it almost seems to settle the matter I'm struggling with, with a firm "privacy is the safety priority" which can be used to protect the fragility of men in power.
Rather, I'm looking for solutions people have found, and maybe even websites that will encourage and protect, a way to make personal safety a significant priority that doesn't rely on the intuition of two strangers. A solution (preferably a community solution) encourages that cuddle connections (or even hookup connections if any community is doing this safety measure, please share here) are prioritizing physical safety over privacy concerns.
*you may note that my profile is not traditional here, but indeed cuddle comfort for me at this time is about making sure that a cuddle partner is available for ongoing cuddles and comfort.

Comments

• Why not keep Mace nearby or a gun?

• edited November 2019
    1. I think everybody should be know some measure of self-defense. I know a lot of publicly available SD courses are marketed exclusively for women, but plenty of men need to know this stuff too.
    2. I never go anywhere without at least one pocket knife, and usually more. I know how to use them, and I know my rights when carrying them.
    3. I don't have a picture of myself publicly available here, but I still have a picture on my profile.
    4. There's always a record of where I am. There isn't always a person actively aware of where that is, but if something happened, my location isn't unknown.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, but those are the sorts of things I do to keep myself safe, not just on CC.

• When I went on my first cuddle, we met in a public place (movie theater). I told a friend where I was going and arranged to message her when I returned. I gave her the website and his profile. I have tracking on in my phone so my dad (hahaha he's 83 but badass) knows where I am always. I gave myself permission to leave at anytime if things felt weird. I parked right in front in a super well lit trafficked ara. I know how to drive someone's nose up into their brain, among other pleasant self defense skills. And for all that, my cuddler was a lamb.

• edited November 2019

All, thanks for the feedback.
    I'm not looking just for ways I can keep myself safe if someone is not. I don't want to be with a person who is not in full agreement that a friend or someone knows I'm with THEM and WHO THEY ARE.
    To me, that is the act of care that I'm looking for. That someone is telling me they are physically safe, and the burden to know that is not on me, that they are identifying themselves as proof so that I don't carry that concern alone.
    I'm looking for a community or a process that prioritizes physical safety over privacy concerns. Where the scales of power and vulnerability are actively addressed, and the burden of concern is shifted away from the people most vulnerable.. an extension of the consent movement.
    I've never been hurt in my life by a person I've met and connected with. I just want to participate in a more advanced culture that fosters and prioritizes trauma prevention, not just for me, but for all of the many vulnerable people meeting folks without others knowing who they are with. It's really just as much about the culture as it is about me. I know how to keep myself safe. What I'm learning I don't know is how to find a person who wants me to be safe over wanting to run around as a male protecting their interests over a collective drive to keep people safe (in a world that clearly needs more measures.) I think this is a group concern. I think there could be a group solution. I'm hoping there may possibly already be one, and I'm looking to connect on that level.

• There is no perfect answer or solution to your concern. I would just say use the common sense when meeting a stranger for the 1st time from any other platform.
    Also keep in mind that one main reason a person is unwilling to give up the amount of personal info you're asking for is fear of identity theft and other forms of fraud. And besides you are entitled to some level of privacy until you get to know a person. I myself wouldn't feel comfortable sharing my place of work , my Facebook profile and or driver's license with someone I barely know off the internet and would never ask that info of someone. And if I did ask particularly a female Im sure they're immediate thought would be " creeper " or " stalker " but meeting someone publicly 1st to chat before you agree to cuddle privately and letting a 3rd party know where you are the 1st time you meet someone are viable options.

• edited November 2019

Hugonehugall, do you notice the grave concern for privacy which people are being cautioned to protect, that you are also so considerate of. The grave concern for physical safety is not something that is being addressed. While it seems to be true there is not a great answer or solution, it is not true that there shouldn't be.
    I'm also not asking for more of the same.. letting vulnerable people know the burden is on them.
    I'm specifically asking for folks who have solutions that shift that.

• @BooksnTeas I believe I did offer a couple of solutions ... But lets be honest this site is not screening people to handle classified govt secrets so there's only so much we can ask of them and there's only so much it can legally ask of its members in that regard. Its up to us to smart & careful about our own personal safety. Help me in understanding what you're asking for ?? But if you're looking for CC to basically run a criminal background check and credit check and offer you bodygaurds to accompany you when you meet someone I don't know what else you can expect them to do ?

• edited November 2019

@hugonehugall I'm not asking for cuddle comfort to do anything. Please leave the replies to people who understand the balance of power here who may have a direct reply and solutions that fit what I asked for. It's in my initial post.

• I don't think Ive misunderstood anything and far as I know have the right to comment on any public forum as long as I abide by the rules.

• you do. It's just deflecting the conversation from a request that shouldn't be diminished by fragility. Your privacy concerns are well cared for. You don't need to push them here. I'm asking for a different consideration which is not already perfectly addressed.

• @BooksnTeas I think @hugonehugall was very thoughtful in his answers, but like he said, it is a public forum. Once you send the thread out you really can’t control the responses you get. Even if you disagree and dislike the approach, it is best to say thank you and move on or attempt to engage in debate.

• @FunCartel With all due respect, if my adventure in this forum is trying to defend my initial post and request, that it what it will be. But I will not thank people who are reminding me that privacy is something to secure while physical safety is something to navigate, while I am asking for someone to respond to let me know they have an answer to a concern to maybe not meet a rapist.

• Ok. In the words of Spongebob—“Good luck with that.”

• Thanks. You know, it's going to happen, the culture is moving that way. If there's no one on cuddle comfort who's ready to discuss implementing a way that ensures physical safety as a community objective, it's not that it's not happening. I just was checking here to see if anyone knows of it, and there still might be someone who uses this page who does. I'm not worried about it. I'm secure about what I think feels right.

• You dont have to say anything just tell your friend or relative this is the address where I'll be and I'll call you or text after the session is over etc etc. That's pretty much it.no need to get so complicated

• I have had cuddlers take a picture of my driver's license and text them to a friend/family member. They let me know that they were sending to a friend and that if the friend didn't hear from them within 15 minutes of the scheduled ending of the session that authorities would be called. If the cuddler was coming to me and I wasn't in a hotel, the cuddler informed me the address on my drivers license had to match the address where she was going. Those were not negotiable with the cuddler. I don't have a problem with that.

• @CaliCuddlingGuy I do not do that. If I am asked to turn over personal information to a stranger then I move on to someone else. I just do not feel like handing the keys over to my identity, bank accounts etc to a stranger.

• edited November 2019

@CaliCuddlingGuy Yes, thanks. I have two parters who unfortunately are living some where else right now. They are both poly solo cis-men. And they both agree it's a way to establish safety and trust and think that any man who doesn't understand the balance of power is willfully ignorant. It's really nice to hear from someone here who doesn't mind showing who they so that people can feel safe being with them. In this world, marginalized people are the most vulnerable to harm, single women and down those lines in the matrix of domination.. more and more vulnerable as people are minorities or trans.. and it's good to hear from someone who prioritizes ENSURING physical safety in connection that can leave people physically hurt, or emotionally traumatized if they are not taking those precautions.
    If you have any tips other than the one I'm leaning to.. which is.. just keep looking for more people like this.. please let me know. I haven't found many people yet here who think it's reasonable for me to have a trusted friend know who I'm with.

• @FunCartel You are probably a responsible person. I am not. I got bad credit, my bank account is overdrawn, keys... Well I live in my grandma's basement. Fingers are crossed that someone will steal my identity and do a better job with it than I have.

For the cuddlers that demand a picture of my ID, I sure as heck demand a picture of theirs. One baulked at giving me her ID and we proceeded with the session without exchanging ID.

• @CaliCuddleGuy you really want to give out all that information? In with @FunCartel on this. If the cuddler is apprehensive about meeting I'll meet with her in public first. I'm not giving out personal information to her and to whomever she wants to share it with.

• @CaliCuddlingGuy Sounds fair. An id for an id. My two friends I mentioned are professional. They are just also interested in flipping the paradigm and making women safe in general. Of course a double standard sounds like a problem.

• @snugbuddy y'all are talking about cuddlers as if they are not people. You are asking women (no?) to meet a stranger at some point alone with noone knowing who they are with?
    What would someone do with that information? Your name and where you work for example, that is worth someone having to gamble on their physical safety.
    This is world rigged for those in power, that people would rise to such defense over something so unimportant comparatively.
    Y'all want to not trust a stranger with your identity but ask them to trust you with their safety, and are actually suggesting that they should not have an equal level of discretion around something so vital??
    This space is not lookin so woke.

• @BooksnTeas how does saying I would meet first in public for a session if she is uncomfortable mean that I am talking about cuddlers as not being people? Non sequitur. I didn't say I expect to meet them in private if they aren't comfortable. To me meeting in public is safer than private even if I give out personal information to meet in private.

• edited November 2019

@snugbuddy You cuddle in public or you go alone with them after meeting in public? You give them information before they go alone with you?

• "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

One of the rules Maj. Gen. James Mattis gave his Marines to live by in Iraq, as quoted in Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq (2006) by Thomas E. Ricks

• edited November 2019

@BooksnTeas Cuddle in public. I could have been clearer on that.

• @snugbuddy wow. Yeah, I talked about that possibility with the last person I spoke with. He and I seemed to have so much compatibility for the connection we were looking for on here, except for this issue. But we couldn't think of a place that would feel comfortable. Maybe the huge public park on a nice day (not an option this time of year here.) . Where do you cuddle in public?

• Parks with people around are good. But only when the weather is nice. A movie is good. There was a thread here where people listed a lot of public cuddling places if you are able to find it.

• @BooksnTeas if I understood your question, you are looking for ways or a way of verify a person's identity without breaking any laws ? There's a solution but you'll have to invest a little $$ , it is not that expensive if you get a membership though, there are several websites of companies who offer that specific service and all you need is a real phone number of the individual. You will get Name , address and a background check . I hope this info can help you or somebody else.

Ps. Since most people in here use Google generated phone number or also known as app number... i personally don't know if my suggestion will be helpful, but i think it's worth for you to look into it .

• @Kense
    As someone licensed to carry a concealed weapon, and a student of using it in legal self defense, I'll provide a suggestion. If you feel you need to take a gun to one specific place or for one reason, any reputable trainer will tell you don't go there. Stay away.

This doesn't mean that those sufficiently trained and armed continuously should disarm themselves. It means avoid situations that clearly are risky.

This discussion has been locked.