Please ask Consent before Trauma Dumping

1235»

Comments

• @Jason_xyz You make valid points. I think the question really comes down to people wanting to use pro cuddlers for talk therapy, when that is not what they do or what they are trained to do. To use someone else's analogy, it's like going to a carpenter and expecting them to also do your plumbing. There are mental health benefits to touch therapy, but it's a different animal from talk therapy - and if you are seeking something the pro does not offer, it makes sense to ask them first if it is something they are okay with doing.

• edited March 2023

Can’t believe this dumpster fire of a thread is still active. C’mon mods, just lock it already. The main antagonist has even asked.

Like @cuddlefaery has said, I’ve very disappointed in this community. I’ve refrained from adding my 2 cents and still won’t, but enough is enough already. The horse has been beaten dead and is nothing but pulp at this point.

• @WriterGF - it does get tricky. I think within reason you should be able to talk about whatever you want if it's respectful and not offensive. Asking for permission about what might be offensive, might not be the net positive you think it'll be. The suggested requirement that you need permission to talk about trauma, I think is slightly too much of an accommodation.

If you expect someone to have a certain reaction, that's different. But there is no expectation of talk therapy or any therapy. It's just - is it an offense to talk about your own personal trauma in a public setting. If you got onto the bus and started broadcasting your past trauma, it's maybe ok? If you expect someone to sit down, process it and help you get through it - that's a different thing.

I think Matt shouldn't have to worry about talking about things that have happened to him without asking if it's too offensive in the first place. At the same time MegaGoodCuddles should be able to leave at any point she wants.

• edited March 2023

But why do you think anyone wants/needs to hear about your trauma, especially a complete stranger whose training does not involve that? What if they have experienced similar trauma and it will be triggering for them? There is no inherent right to burden people with your issues.

I do agree with Mr. Admirer that the topic can probably be closed, simply because the subject of debate has already been answered by a mod -- CC pros are in the business of providing platonic touch and shouldn't be hired with an eye toward any other service.

• Why do you think that I think that anyone wants to hear about my trauma? I'm just saying as public discourse it's not really necessary to regulate. If I see a stranger and they shared some deep trauma whilst odd, to me that's totally fine. I wouldn't want them to feel the need to ask my permission before sharing those words. To try to make that into an offense, I don't think that helps the world. If I received that communication from a stranger I wouldn't feel like that's a violation of polite discourse.

How you deal with odd situations, that's a separate matter.

• The name of the website is “cuddle comfort” it’s not called trauma relief, or mental health therapy comfort. My guess is that most pros sign up to do this because they enjoy cuddling and they don’t mind making a few dollars for it which is perfectly fine. Again, they sign up for the cuddling aspect, which is what this site is based upon. In my opinion, if you didn’t sign up for this website for cuddling, you’re on the wrong website. Please note that my comments are not directed towards anyone and they are just general comments.

• The horse has been beaten dead and is nothing but pulp at this point.

Time for the glue and gelatin factories. Don’t throw the carcass away it is worth a lot.

• My attempts at managing this thread have clearly failed so my thanks to those that have been flagging comments and it will now be locked.

This discussion has been locked.