What is the nerdiest thing you've done?

Comments

• @frankparker9 Everything you said. 💯. I have always avoided saying anything about it because the true believers always have a “yeah but” and have to learn the hard way whether it’s today or further down the road.

• @frankparker9 Do you have a site for your new company?

• @TxTom No, I'm hoping to start programming in earnest in October and work on my ideas for a year before launching anything or raising money. I have a programming language I want to create, an application framework, all sorts of stuff. :)

• @frankparker9 I'm interested in following that.

• @frankparker9 Congratulations on reading the Btc white paper in 2011👏🏼 (I only wish!) in fact, I only read it for the 1st time a couple weeks ago because it dawn on me that I still hadn’t.. With that said you’re absolutely 100% correct! They say 95% of crypto is Scam, Pump & dump, I will go further than that and say 99% of it is … No industry is perfect, and I’m not going to pretend like the blockchain space is… people are definitely taking advantage of its “Wild West” status right now and the naive are getting taken, The 3 things that I admire the most are decentralization, Trustless system, and self custody … These 3 things cannot be ignored, with that said due diligence & self responsibility (if we’re going the self custody route) is absolutely important, and of course we won’t just take any projects word (or anyone else’s) ‘Trust No one, In code we trust’! We always verify!, Distributed ledger has brought a level of transparency that just simply did not exist before … and the fact that we’re able to track every transactions is not a bad thing, it is a good thing , this will bring a huge stop to corruption (especially in a higher level) … it also brings defi to underserved markets, where people need it the most, where Swift/ SEPA/ and banks don’t look, it’s giving everyone a chance … I’m a strong advocate for this space and look forward to seeing financial markets transform across the globe , as well as the Tokenization of assets like commodities, precious metals, securities, art, real estate (& more), Thank you so much for sharing your insights and personal view with me 🙏🏼 You would be an incredible asset to this space!

• @TxTom Aw, I appreciate that.

@BoomerSpooner Apparently Sam Bankman-Fried (currently detained, awaiting trial, according to Wikipedia) was the president of the coed fraternity at MIT that I lived in, after I left (I was there 2006-2007, he was class of 2014), so we have acquaintances in common. One of the old alums of the house was defending him on Facebook as a good guy, unfairly smeared in the press. It’s a wild world.

• @frankparker9 thats great you are taking time off to handle those things.

As far as me doing nerdy things, if board games count, that would be it. I’m just not nerdy. 🤷‍♀️

• @CuddleHugs01234 - It counts if that board game is chess.

• @CuddleHugs01234
    Board games are nerdy.
    What board games do you play?

• @Mike403 It’s not counting then. I’m
    just not a nerd.

@Jova114 My favorites are Othello, Stay Alive, and Perfection. We have more, but those are my top three choices, my definite go to’s. I don’t want anything that’s too serious. I used to be competitive but now I just play for fun and try to teach my child that’s it’s okay not to win, and it’s best just to have fun. That’s my thoughts on it anyway.

• @CuddleHugs01234
    Perfection is so aniexty inducing lol
    But im glad you just find the fun in it and know that it's the experience and not winning lol
    My friends and I play this game Villanious a lot.
    They have a Disney, Marvel and Star Wars editions.
    I highly suggest it

• @Jova114 On Perfection, we just try to beat our former time each time. We do it together some, and by ourselves some. It’s doesn’t have to be perfect. 🤣

I’ll check that out. Would it be good for an elementary aged child?

• @CuddleHugs01234
    Lol well I'm glad you found a way to make that game fun for you.

It says it's meant for ages 10 and up.
    But I guess it depends on the child itself.
    I'd say watch a game play video on YouTube first maybe to make that determination

• @Arachnea what torrent site are you using? I think mine is outdated.

@frankparker9 - Merriam-Webster Word of the Day to music - this sounds seriously too cute. Is there a way to see this in action somehow?

Also, I had the idea to make my own programming language once when I was force-fed C++ and couldn’t get the game on my screen to work. I sorta yelled “Fuck this language, I’m making my own!” halfway across the room to a friend sitting in my class in total frustration before leaving. I realized I wasn’t the only one though when the professor looked on with this curiously anticipating look, as if to say “are you really going to?” which piqued me a bit.

Just what kind of language were you thinking to make? That’s a cool idea.

• I'm a historical reenactor. I have a group of Reenactor 'pen pals' that exchange letters in character.

I also play D&D and exchange letters in the form of that character a well.

I have growing collection of comic books and vinyl records.

• @SRLR0811
    The letter thing sounds fun...unless you're reenacting Alexander Hamilton lol

• @Jova114 I’ll check it out. Thanks!

• edited September 2023

I'm not much of a nerd unfortunately, more of a geek. Geekiest things I've done are playing Dungeons and Dragons weekly, cosplaying at a gamer convention, or being cast (and sword fighter!) at my local Renaissance faire. Most epic moment was playing the first draft of D&D with Frank Mentzer, best friend of Gary Gygax. 🥳

Oh! I also learned how to mod Sims games to customize their skin (to add scars and piercings) and customize their clothes to have my EXACT same outfits down to the graphic tee I had from Emilie Autumn. (Okay, that one may be nerdy.)

• Since high school, I'll go to a party and not drink alcohol, smoke (cigs or weed) or use any "mood enhancers." This has brought on a lot of teasing, cutting remarks disguised as teasing and flat-out insults for not partaking. It's all good, I enjoy my Diet Coke and I can drive home after... or even go into work for an emergency situation (as happens often.)

• @AllAboutSoul - That's not nerdy, that's straight edge. Lol

• Ran an anime-fan guild of over 100+ members on Neopets back when I was in my early teens (14/15ish). Taught myself HTML and CSS so I could make our guild website and Photoshop to make cool banners (anyone remember those scrolling marquee banners of the early 2000s? Ha!). We had a rival guild with a similar name and we eventually ended up absorbing their members after the President of that one and I became friends.

I would do artsy variations of collectible gifs of anime characters (think Cabbit from Tenchi Muyo) that you could copy a string of HTML to post it on your own website or Neopets storefront. To recognize special members, I would do unique color variations for them. Now in retrospect, it's not that different than NFTS, without the monetary aspect. Was a fun time.

• I also learned HTML, totally forgot. But it was for MySpace. 😝 Oh, and for my LiveJournal and DeadJournal, too. Also for my "journal" sites, I learned how to make .gif icons, specifically Harry Potter ones. 🥴

• Server 1st Litch King in world of Warcraft and ran a world ranked guild with nearly 200 members running 2 25 mans and 2 10 mans a week. Along with keeping my all my raiders on the top of the gear charts.

• LARPing 🙌🥳

• @stormydaycuddle - World of Warcraft. I remember those days and how often I was hit on just because I played a female character. 🤣

• edited September 2023

@PixiePassions

I'm not much of a nerd unfortunately, more of a geek.

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads..." they all adore Ferris Bueller. Not sure why the nerds are holding out.

• One of my goals is to be a professional cosplayer. I've volunteered as guest relations and registration for the comic con/ anime conventions. I've worked at/ in other professional cosplayers warehouse and currently work at a comic printing shop.
    Not to mention my own comic/ manga collection and gaming collection.

• @mkhoward
    I've always wanted to cosplay!!
    Just never had the time or money :(

• Went to a ren faire last weekend and am going full on in creating a persona and costume for all the next times I go. I'll pretty much be a common tinker-smith type and will be carrying my most common tools and supplies so I can offer on the spot mending to others (should they want for such a thing).

And ~ Yay! To those of you who taught yourselves html just to have fun scrolling banners and what not too! I also learned how to create gifs and animated other people's images for them. For one of my own profiles I did a stop motion photography deal with a wooden joint mannequin and more recently, for fun, I taught elementary kids how to create flip books and do basic claymation while we were still in the pandemic lockdown/online only.

I've also redesigned websites and, even though I was learning along the way (ie I had no business getting paid for it), I was recruited (and paid pretty well) to teach others how to do it too.

Still waiting to get into DnD though... tbd if I'll ever find a group that'll have me. I think I'm not close enough to nerdy, as I am to imaginative and crafty (in a mostly make due with what randomness I have on hand/DYI/MacGyver/Martha Stewart sort of way). But maybe someday...