How do we stop Scammers?

Comments

• @Lovelight posted: "not on board with their sleazy"

😂

And you are correct, anyone who exposes their "sleazy" is doing us a favor by taking themselves out of the running.

I don't know if you can take screenshots on WhatsApp and SnapChat, but screenshots can absolutely be used in reports to the site, as well.

~ Sunset Snuggles

🦄 Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

• There's nothing intrinsically wrong with Whatsapp, it's used extremely widely over here by everybody for everything. It does offer a disappearing messages function, and the suggestion or use thereof is not merely a red flag but instantly terminal. Block and Report.

Messages should stay on the site until the first meeting, and ideally after that too.

• @SunsetSnuggles

You can definitely take screenshots on WhatsApp. I don't use Snapchat to talk with people and I do find it a red flag if a guy gives me his Snapchat or asks for mine, given what it's notoriously known to be used for, and that when screenshot it notifies the other party exactly for that reason. Similarly if one asks for my Instagram, which I don't use, even on a dating app, I find it a red flag. Cause man is probably just trying to check out pictures. Though that's mainly a whole other story and if a guy asked for an Instagram here, it'd be an even bigger red flag. Though I personally don't think I had any man here ask for that.

Though I've recently got Snapchat to use its AI chat which has been nice.

"but screenshots can absolutely be used in reports to the site, as well."

Shhh... lol. 😊

• For non devious purposes, I'll use whatsapp to send messages if I'm in an area of poor service, I find it does a better job under this condition

• I have primarily used WhatsApp to talk to friends overseas. I do get the occasional scammer messaging me through it, but I just block them.

• @SunsetSnuggles
    🤗🤗🤗
    I support you fully and always!
    I came from the seedy underbelly of society lol dont mind my warped view

• @bambam8686 sorry this happened to you. It happened to me a while back. Since then I have my own personal policy: I don’t schedule with anyone who wants anything before they show up. I haven’t been scammed since. I totally understand that some legit cuddlers want a deposit but what I want is to not be scammed. So that’s where I leave it for me.

• Honestly, the way you stop scammers is a return policy. If money is exchanged, its a service. If service was never rendered (or you didn't show up) a refund should be given.

Photo verification would be great too, but that won't force anyone to be a good person. There's Photo verification on Tinder and people still scam on there. They just drag you off site and then you can't report them. (You can, but I'm sure they're just marked. I've reported a few on different sites and their profiles were still allowed to be active.)

This is the problem with a pay site. Money is exchanged, but what power do moderators have to force a refund? Kind of makes it a breeding ground for scammers honestly.

• @Calthegreat Site can't really do anything beyond banning because no money is being exchanged through the site. It all happens through things like Venmo. CC is more like an advertising board for pros than anything else.

• that’s a good point so I’m wondering why does cuddle comfort try to dictate payment or are these just suggestions when I read them they sound like more than just suggestions.

Payment

The Cuddler will ask for payment from the Client for the Full Session Price as previously agreed between the Cuddler and Client on the website. Payment for each session is due before the session or at the very start of one.

The Cuddler has the right to include a deposit requirement as part of their service. The terms of such an arrangement falls outside of our purview.

If the terms fall outside of the “purview” of cuddle comfort then why are they included here in the first place?

• Having the pro ask for payment ahead of time seems like just common sense. How many clients would refuse to pay up once the cuddle is over? Not like the pro could take the cuddles back.

• @WriterGF I’ve had a cuddler take cuddles back post cuddling; several times. It’s always devastating.

• @ShaneSchrute - How do they take cuddles back?

• @Mike403 that was a bad joke. :)

• @ShaneSchrute - Okay. You got me worried there. I thought they knocked you upside the head so you forgotten about the cuddle.

• The simple fact is that the site should not make monetizing cuddlers an easy effort and cuddles should go through a rigorous ordeal to be able to charge for their services. Whether they like it or not, they are a 3rd party to all payments if they promote someone to a professional and allow them to charge on their platform.

Seems stupid to me that they can promote someone to a "professional cuddler" and not be responsible if the professional is scamming or refuses to return payment. Furthermore, if both parties agree to a payment for time and no time was spent doing the activity, the payer should be entitled to a refund. Full stop. And yes, that is even if the payer wishes to change the activity. The only exception is a deposit and deposit should not exceed 10% of the agreed price. This is good business. I'm sorry if you disagree, but it keeps both parties honest and promotes a good business environment. And if the site is going to allow people to charge money on it, it too is a business.

Think about it. You are in a barbershop. You agree to pay ahead of time. In full. Deposit included. He doesn't show up for the haircut at the agreed time. You paid ahead so he would be there. Barbershop says, sorry, this is between you and him. All I can do is shake my hand at him, ask him what happened and maybe ban him from premises. And if he lies saying you were being annoying and changing things last minute, he can do whatever he wants.... you'd want someone to hold accountable too. But you are stuck sitting there with an empty bag.

• In short, you stop scammers by holding the moderators of this site accountable for their actions. They are giving them the permission to charge on their site. Kinda like how Napster was nailed for piracy and not the millions of users that were utilizing their site to pirate music.

• @Calthegreat posted: "the site should not make monetizing cuddlers an easy effort"

But then the site making money would not be an easy effort. 🤫

~ Sunset Snuggles

• @SunsetSnuggles how does the site make money on PayPal & Zillow transactions off the app?

• edited October 2023

@Calthegreat The site takes a percentage of every booking with female Pro's (bookings are supposed to be confirmed here and the site's cut is then deducted from a credit card). Male Pro's pay a monthly fee to the site.

~ Sunset Snuggles

• edited October 2023

In short, you stop scammers by holding the moderators of this site accountable for their actions

@Calthegreat The moderators are volunteers and enthusiasts just like you. They make no money at all. And pros are essentially contractors in business for themselves, not the site. I have never paid ahead or even paid a deposit, so I fail to see the problem. If someone wants a deposit which some do, it is buyer beware. You can move along and book someone who has a lot of karma and a history of dependability. Are there scammers? Absolutely. But discerning a scammer from the 99% who are legitimate is not difficult at all and I have utilized this site for years.

• The site takes responsibility by barring people from doing business here, thus cutting off CC as a source of income.

What do you think this "rigorous ordeal" should consist of? Unlike massage therapy, there is no state licensing requirement for cuddling or legally mandated training program. Frankly, pros are at far greater risk of being sexually harassed or assaulted than clients are of being scammed.

• We all know that pros are at a greater risk, but I would venture to say that 90% of pros on the site would leave this site if they weren’t able to make money and go to another site regardless of the risk.

• @WriterGF I know you were addressing @Calthegreat, but if I may, many have suggested before that some kind, any kind of training, certification, or even brief video course on boundaries/consent, would be a very easy place to start.

Cuddlist, CuddleParty, Cuddle Sanctuary, and the like impart excellent training, guidelines, safety, and so much more to the Pro's who are serious enough, or care enough, to shell out money for them.

If you were choosing a Pro, would you rather someone who had taken a hundred or two out of their own pocket to learn how to provide the best, safest, most nurturing, platonic, therapeutic experience possible? Or the pole dancer I came across last week, who's here to make a buck using men's loneliness for her own gain?

Even without paying for training, standards and ethics could still be screened, here, and it's quite appalling that the process to become a "Pro" is so simplistic and easily achieved by those who have no ethical grasp on what platonic cuddling is all about. It is not only a disservice to the clients who hire "Pro's" expecting professional knowledge and treatment, but it puts the Pro's in danger.

@MxSmith created a phenomenal quiz that, were it reformatted as a free entrance exam to become a Pro here, would so drastically enhance the quality and safety of the Pro/client experience, it's unreal. It wouldn't cost the site or the Pro's a dime to screen with a tool like this. It's unconscionable that no one has implemented something like this here, in all these years.
    Here is @MxSmith's quiz:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScf1jb5bbNYmc8Izw4vclsgYlEUyHeznRMYgwkTuragBcMK8g/viewform

I absolutely agree with you that women are in danger of being sexually assaulted, when cuddling strangers. (So are men. I have been told of both, directly.) Training is far less about "how to cuddle", than it is about consent, safety, screening, running a successful business, etc. It is as much for the benefit of the Pro as it is for the client.

I also agree that the sexual danger is greater than the risk of being scammed. However, I've met cuddlers who have been, if not outright/traditionally scammed, manipulated into gifting literally thousands of dollars apiece to Pro cuddlers who use their kind hearts and empathy against them.

You are correct, there is no mandated training program for Pro cuddling. Sites like this have the opportunity to change that.

~ Sunset Snuggles

P.S. All love, @WriterGF, just a passionate topic. 🤗

• @SunsetSnuggles I apologize in advance for tagging you. I know you’re very modest and very humble, but you deserve so much praise because I really appreciate your eloquence your empathy and your ability to understand all sides of a topic. That’s a very rare quality and I know that when you write or post something it’s very real and genuine it isn’t something that’s being rehashed over and over so I just want to say thank you for being one of the bright lights in this community

• @lonelytauros I had a really rough night and that was very sweet to read, this morning...thank you for taking the time.

~ Sunset Snuggles

• @SunsetSnuggles
    I had taken the quiz @MxSmith made a while back and aced it, nbd 😎 Though I’d hope anyone that takes it easily aces it

• I don't know the answer but I'd guess it's to stop being susceptible to scams. Getting something for free, or extra. Or against the rules( naughty) is the only way scams work. Thievery i believe to be different than scams, i assume those happen as well but scams are appealing to something in you, and someone's there to take advantage.

• I think we all can agree @SunsetSnuggles is one of the best!

• edited October 2023

People keep confusing professional cuddlers using this site as being employees or independent contractors - technically we are neither. We are our own businesses utilizing CC's advertising services as freelancers, for which CC takes a percentage or a flat monthly fee. CC does not certify the safety or quality of professional cuddlers because they are not employing them - the site's function is far more similar to that of a topic-specific Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. Other than pro cuddlers agreeing to meet certain standards in order to utilize the advertising services offered here (aka the Cuddler & Professional Contracts), no other legal guarantees are made.

Anyone planning to meet people from online in person would do well to learn some basic vetting and safety protocols - whether for online dating, meeting prospective clients, or hiring prospective service providers. If you have not yet honed these skills, it's all too easy to be taken advantage of and to have negative experiences - not all that dissimilar to that experienced by others with different social skills struggling in group settings, the bar scene, hyper competitive scenes, etc. We all have our social strengths and weaknesses and if networking and meeting people from online isn't something you're already skilled at, chances are it's something you'll have to learn and grow at in order to have positive experiences.

While these resources are mainly geared towards online dating or spotting email scams, a lot of the advice is applicable to meeting anyone from online for any reason:

https://www.rainn.org/articles/online-dating-and-dating-app-safety-tips

https://www.adt.com/resources/online-dating-safety-tips

https://fightcybercrime.org/scams/imposter/romance-scams/?gclid=CjwKCAjwseSoBhBXEiwA9iZtxsJb6LbqxqSF6kkcHL4bOy8G3HaozxrfnW-CmbpCUx2G7pJ7JR0VMhoCFEoQAvD_BwE&utm_source=NB&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=IWasTargetedByAnImposter&utm_content=RomanceScams

https://fightcybercrime.org/blog/the-benefits-and-risks-of-peer-to-peer-p2p-payment-services/

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-avoid-scam