Quote of the Day

edited January 2019 in General

" Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe." -- Neil Gaiman

This quote always inspires me to see the uniqueness we are as human beings. ?

Any quotes you all enjoy/inspire? ?
I'd love to read some.

-- Cassandra

Comments

• “Madness, mayhem, erotic vandalism, devastation of innumerable souls — while we scream and perish, history licks a finger and turns the page.” — Thomas Ligotti

• @hogboblin Are you listening in on my thoughts? Love me some Ligotti....such a underrated horror author of our time. His splice and inquiries of nihilistic undertones is a very good thought provoking page turner indeed. I may have to pull out some of his collections this week.

• @MissAdventurous

Ligotti is a modern master of weird fiction, and his Conspiracy Against the Human Race is utterly superb and unique.

I think you’re the one person I’ve encountered online who has been familiar with his works. It’s extremely refreshing.

• @hogboblin After responding to your message, I may have peeked at your profile. I would love any suggestions from your horror library. I am a fan of the genre myself and feel I have been lacking some good reading material as of late.

And right back atcha, I have only one friend who knows of Ligotti, and he reads some obscure and odd things, which I appreciate.

• If i didn't define myself for myself I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.

Audre lorde

• edited January 2019

@MissAdventurous

A God in the Shed, by J-F. Dubeau, is a fine horror novel about a teenager who inadvertently traps a malevolent, trans-dimensional entity in her shed. Shenanigans ensue.

The Dark Eidolon and Other Fantasies, by Clark Ashton Smith, contains some excellent weird fiction and poetry. If H.P. Lovecraft blends horror and science fiction together adeptly, then Smith does the same—but with fantasy instead of SF.

Dreams of Fear is a great collection of horror-oriented poetry, spanning from antiquity to the modern age.

If you’d like to try something more visual:

Fragments of Horror, by Junji Ito, is a manga collection that manages to be grotesque, absurd, and unsettling all at once.

• @MissAdventurous
    If it's flipping hamburgers at McDonald's, be the best hamburger flipper in the world. Whatever it is you do you have to master your craft. --Snoop Dogg

• @Nickoli .. Another wonderful writer. I believe I've read a little of her stuff, she was really big into the civil rights movement. Some raw stuff. Good pick!!

@sethryan44 I mean, Snoop knows what's up. ?

• @hogboblin
    Thank you for taking time to suggest some good reads! I'll let you know which one I end up taking first ??

• “To bear children into this world is like carrying wood into a burning house.”

— Peter Wessel Zapffe

• "From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them, and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch

• [Deleted User]daylightsdream (deleted user)

"For people who like that sort of thing, that's just the sort of thing those people would like." - a misquote of possibly Charles Farrar Browne

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” - Marianne Williamson Even taking the "god" stuff out (I do so often) and I think it still stands. Anymore, I'm not afraid of the being awesome part it's more those around me who like to attack me for being so by making me the target of the ire they actually feel for themselves due to their feelings of inadequacy.

Which leads me to have to stand in "Don't take anything personally" - Don Miguel Ruiz. Nothing that anyone does is externally motivated but that doesn't mean that we aren't effected by others. ::le sigh::

• ''We know there are known knowns: there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns: that is to say we know there are things we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don't know we don't know.''

—Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, Defense Department briefing, Feb. 12, 2002

• "A zebra does not change its spots.''

—Al Gore

• “As Aristotle said, 'Excellence is a habit.'
    I would say furthermore that excellence is made constant through the feeling that comes right after one has completed a work which he himself finds undeniably awe-inspiring. He only wants to relax until he's ready to renew such a feeling all over again because to him, all else has become absolutely trivial.”

― Criss Jami, Killosophy

• You don't have to hold onto the pain to hold onto the memory.

–Janet Jackson from an interlude on her sixth album, The Velvet Rope (1997)

• @Catloaf yesssss! Love it.
    @UKGuy good picks ??
    @daylightsdream the second and third resonate well with me!

"Only the mediocre are always at their best."
    Jean Giraudoux

• "Someone once told me that 'time' is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because it will never come again."

-- Jean-Luc Picard

• “A genius is the one most like himself.”
    – Thelonious Monk

• “It is impossible to be both grateful and unhappy at the same time “ - anonymous.

I like this quote because it reminds me that when I am frustrated, angry or just sad, I am primarily thinking about myself. When I am

• O, wad some Power the giftie gie us To see oursels as ithers see us! Robert Burns

• “What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets!”

Vlad Tepes

• [Deleted User]SoulcuddlerZ (deleted user)

“The bigger they are, the harder they fall!

• To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.

• Mark Twain
  • @ MissAdventurous. A great Mark Twain quote?! As for the time one, I confess I see it as a predator more often than as a wanted companion! Lol

• Each has his past shut in him like the leaves of a book known to him by his heart, and his friends can only read the title - Virginia Woolf

• Live. Love. Be. Believe.
    Motto of the band The Cruxshadows

• A work of art is above all an adventure of the mind. -- Eugene Ionesco

• It is the same with people as it is with riding a bike. Only when moving can one maintain one’s balance.

-Albert Einstein

• To turn a dream into a goal, one only needs a plan. A goal without a plan forever remains a dream.