Thought of the Day

If Mary is the mother of Jesus and Jesus is the lamb of god, then did Mary have a little lamb?

Comments

• Sometimes I feel stronger then I am, other times I feel weaker then I am. ive got to find my balance.
  • [Deleted User]Unknown (deleted user)
    technically , Jesus was a normal , child , worked in his human fathers carpenter shop, and when he turned 30 , that is when he followed his almighty fathers footsteps , and , the rest is bible history . I would say Jesus was not the lamb of god until he started recruiting the 12  apostles .

So, no , Mary did not have a little lamb.
  • well try telling that to all the school children mr @sparkyblue-eyes
  • Jesus wasn't just "a normal child." Normal children blow up anthills with firecrackers, filch cookies when they aren't supposed to, lie to get out of punishment, throw rocks at the neighbor kids when they aren't getting along, throw temper tantrums, say hurtful things to each other to gain popularity, and all sorts of other sinful things. Jesus's life without sin is what made his sacrifice sufficient to cover everyone else's sins, and being God incarnate is what gave him a nature that was not tainted from sin at conception and gave him the wisdom and strength to resist sin during his life. "Lamb of Heaven" is just a reference to him being the perfect sacrifice offered up by the one who required the sacrifice; he was born the Lamb and retained his innocence to serve his purpose in taking on flesh to be that sacrifice. His entire life has been in purposeful service to God, not just his actions after beginning to gather his people.

So, yes, Mary had a little lamb. :)
  • @Mailleweaver, I appreciate your answer above. I'm so accustomed to seeing no mention of religious beliefs online except for when people are making fun of them, whether mildly or harshly, that I never expect to see someone post a cogent summary of biblical doctrine. That was a pleasant surprise.  Thanks for that.  .
  • to be clear because it has been implied that i am being disrespectful. my play on words re mary and jeses was told to me by a friend of mind who happens to be a pastor. it is not meant to be offensive in intent nor wording. there is no mention at all of anything being wrong or bad re mary or jesus or anything really. just a play on words and that is all. ddnt realize it would actually raise any eyebrows
  • I wonder if fish fishing is like the equivalent of alien abduction to fish? they are just swimming around in their own world, the water is their atmosphere, then all of a sudden they are yanked out by and thrown in a boat. the ones who are thrown back and live to tell the tale aren't taken seriously, the other fish think they are nuts.

• Sometimes it is best acknowledge a wrongdoing even if you feel it was not wrong.

There is never any harm done by simply apologizing.

I apologize
  • edited April 2017
    No apology needed from my point of view.. I didn't get the sense that your intent was to offend. My post here was just to point out that I liked @mailleweaver's answer, becasue I so rarely see posts like his on a public forum that is not explicitly a gathering of religious folk.

By the way, the fish comment is on point. Imagine trying to describe having been someplace the others have never been nor can even imagine. "I was taken someplace that's not in this world. There is no water there. You can't breathe. Yet strange creatures live there who apparently don't NEED to breathe! . It must be an alternate universe!"  Yeah, the whole school of fish thinks you're nuts.
  • "but you don't get it man, I WAS IN THE BOAT!!!!"
  • [Deleted User]Jesuskid (deleted user)
    Jesus being The God-Man was born of Mary. Lamb of God cause Lamb-sacrifice for sins and Of God cause God sent Him... Yes!! God sent God. God the Father sent God the Son!!!!
  • @jesuskid, that is some inception stuff right there
    edited April 2017
    okay
  • edited April 2017
    We are sure. Jesus is and has always been God. He did not become God, but God the Son (God the creator of the world) became human and always knew who he was.

Evidence (with my summaries in bold):

"In the beginning was the word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the Beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made." John 1:1-3
    Thus, the Word was and is God, and the Word is the creator of the world.

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father full of grace and truth. John testifies concerning him. He cries out, saying, 'This was he of whom I said, "He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me."'"  John 1:14-15
    "As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, 'This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.'" Matthew 3:16-17
    "Then John gave this testimony: 'I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, "The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit." I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God.'" John 1:32-34
    Thus, the Word came from God and became human. That human was Jesus as identified by the Holy Spirit to John the Baptist after Jesus was grown. He was identified as the Son of God at that time, not made to be the Son of God at that time. Jesus is the creator of the world and is and always was the Son of God.

"This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit... an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, 'Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a Son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.'" Matthew 1:18-21
    Thus, Jesus was confirmed by an angel of the Lord to have been conceived in Mary by God the Holy Spirit, not by man.

"And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of the great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.'" Luke 2:8-10
    Thus, the angels of the Lord identified the newborn baby Jesus as the Lord.

"Every year his parents went to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover. When he was twelve years old, they went up to the Feast, according to the custom. After the Feast was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it... After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, 'Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you.'
    'Why were you searching for me?' he asked. 'Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?' But they did not understand what he was saying to them." Luke 2:41-50
    Thus, Jesus as a child had wisdom and knowledge given to him by God the Father, and understood his place as God the Son even though his parents did not.

"Jesus gave them this answer: 'I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does, the Son also does... Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgement to the Son, that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father... By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.'" John 5:19, 22-23, & 30
    Thus, God the Son only follows the example of God the Father, so he never sinned. God the Son is also the one who is given the authority of judgement. He decides what is sin and what is holy, and decides only according to the will of God the Father.

Now for the good news.
    "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23
    Jesus said:
    "'Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him may 
    have eternal life. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believe in the name of God's one and only Son.'"
    Thus, though our sins cause us to deserve death, the one who has the power of judgement over us is willing to judge us as righteous and free of sin if we simply believe in him as the Son of God because God the Father wants us to be free of sin and live forever with him.

Too long; didn't read:
    Jesus wasn't just a regular dude who became something more by his own actions. Jesus is God, the one through whom God created the world, and the one through whom God redeems from sinful death anyone who accepts Jesus as God the Son.

Thus, Mary had a little lamb.
  • @pmvines youre consistently hilarious :p
  • @ Mailleweaver  I think you would probably make a pretty good preacher, if you aren't already one.  However, you should consider that everyone's beliefs are not the same as yours, and you stating yours as fact doesn't make it so.  I thoroughly respect your right to have any beliefs you wish, but I also respect the right of others to have whatever beliefs they wish. 

Since your Christianity seems to be very important to you, I feel it is important for me to tell you about my spirituality.  I was raised as a Southern Baptist, and still retain most of the values I grew up with.  I am no longer religious at all, because I think that religion is a man created perversion of spirituality.  Spirituality is one's relationship to Spirit/God/The Universe/All That Is, or whatever other label you would like to use, and has nothing to do with rules, or sins that are created by man. Christ taught spirituality, but then followers, specifically Paul, came along behind him and turned his teachings into a religion.  The same thing happened with pretty much every major spiritual leader throughout the world.  I believe that this was done mainly as a way of controlling the masses, and each religion has enough truth to it to attract enough followers to make it work.  And that is my abbreviated sermon of the day.  i hope I haven't made too many enemies with this, but since you saw fit to share your beliefs, it seems only fair that I share mine.
    ♥Jim
  • I'm no preacher, but this stuff is the very core of who I am as it is the foundation of Christianity. Jesus is God, He sacrificed himself to atone for our sins, and acceptance of him is the only way to Heaven.

People's distinctions between spirituality and religion have never been made clear to me. Rules and rituals do have their place, but I would agree that they are not what's important. The Jewish Law of Moses was given by God as a means to understand part of who God is, to provide a way to atone for sins, and to provide structure for building a society, but it has never been the most important thing. Anyone who reads the Old Testament (and especially the book of Hosea) can see that what God really wants is a loving relationship between him and his people, and the Law is a means to that end. Jesus himself challenged the church leaders who tried to uphold the Law and religious traditions apart from their true purpose in order to serve their own selfish goals. Legalism is as sinful as idolatry since it puts the Law above God. Jesus didn't come to overturn the Law, though, but rather to fulfill it. His sacrifice perfectly fulfilled the Law's requirements for the atonement of sins. And he illuminated the spirit of the Law by saying that if one loves the Lord with all of their heart and mind and soul, then the satisfaction of the Law will follow naturally. Rules and rituals are meant to reinforce the relationship, not replace it. They give us a point of reference to notify us when we stray, and help guide us back to God.

It's important to remember, though, that a true relationship with God is only possible through Jesus. When Jesus died, the veil to the inner sanctum of the temple (where the high priest went once a year according to Law to offer sacrifice in atonement for the sins of the entire nation of Israel and seek guidance from God) was torn apart because Jesus's sacrifice satisfied the need for atonement once and for all, and from then on He has been the conduit between man and God. The earthly temple is no longer necessary since Jesus has gone to the true temple in Heaven as the true high priest who intercedes for us with God the Father. It is He who sends to us the Holy Spirit to dwell in us and speak truth in our hearts when we accept him and love him as the Lord. Any spirit not sent by Jesus is a spirit of lies attempting to lure us away from the loving grace of God, not the Holy Spirit of Truth. Anyone may follow any spirit they wish -- that is the gift of free will -- but there is only one Spirit of Truth and only one Lord to send it. Don't let your rightful denial of legalism get you lost, brother; don't forget your first love.

I'll stop here with flooding this thread with any more doctrine so as to hopefully avoid appearing argumentative or hurtful towards anyone. I only wished to correct a bit of misinformation about Christianity by sharing the source, and I've said my piece. I won't try to force Christianity on anyone any more than Christ did; I just offer truth like he did so those who choose to receive it have the opportunity to. If anyone has any questions or challenges for me, feel free to message me. I'd be happy to share the Word with you.
    Happy Cuddling to all. :)
  • Dear All,
    As we have heard today, Paris, France has experienced another act of brutality.
    Our thoughts and love go out to all our members in France and hope you were not part of it.
    Love and peace John Auckland NZ.
  • [Deleted User]chococuddles (deleted user)
    My two thoughts for the day:

Don't live the same year 75 times and call it a life.
    A comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.

Gotta improve. Or as PaRappa the Rapper says, "Ya gotta ba-leev!"
  • I would like to think that I tow the line somewhere between good looking and ugly
  • @ Mailleweaver  What I see is you offering the 'truth' as it has been taught to you, but which in my opinion is not the same Truth that Christ taught, because the Bible as we know it has been warped by religion, and in particular by Constantine, and even before that by Paul altering the teachings of Jesus.  You have also not taken into account any of the teachings of other spiritual leaders, or other religions, or so it seems to me.  That is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.
  • Sometimes even the devil needs a friend
    i remember in second grade , we had "show and tell". , and this one kid had a rosary , and the kid showed the class that , inside the crucifix , there is a tiny splinter of wood , that was from the cross that Jesus was crucified on .  And the kid unscrewd the end of the cross in the rosary , and , out came a little tray with the splinter on it , with a little declaration that it was from the cross .

the teacher , told us that there are enough of those splinters going around to build two of the schools , that we were in .

Sure was a good gimmick to sell those rosaries
  • All I really know is that I don't know nothing
  • If it costs the US mint more money to print a penny that the value of the currency, then is a penny saved really a penny earned?
  • Cats at times seem as though they are on copious amounts of hallucinogenics  
  • I have heard that cats can make themselves hallucinate, though I'm not sure that's true. 

I do know that their sudden freak outs and bouts of energy are their way of burning off that extra energy that would have been used hunting before they decided to live with humans and make us their servants 
  • Just wondering why people block other members on here. What's the purpose? You still see our words on the boards and we can still see your profiles. So why block us? There is no point.