Corona virus

Comments

• [Deleted User]IvanTokodol (deleted user)

There are SOOOO many more (mild, asymptomatic) cases than positive tests that the ~2% figure is way too high. On the other hand, it's likely to spread to most people eventually, just like a very contagious flu.

• [Deleted User]outdoordude28 (deleted user)

Maybe this is the earths way of cleansing itself!?!?!

• They said same thing about sars and the bird flu

• Human beings have a 100 % mortality rate, more of one means less of another.

• @alphares - why not post Inquirer links, as they're just as scientific and valid as your post title's name.

Your hysteria harkens back to the 90's when HIV/AIDS was the "African" disease. Then it was the "Gay" disease. Families, businesses, and neighbors ostracized gay men. The excuse of "gay panic" was used as an excuse for homicides and violence. Families burned belongings, bedding, and clothes of their gay family members who'd contracted AIDS, and they often refused to even pick up the bodies of their kin from morgues and hospitals.

Get educated, and by that, I don't mean sensationalist click-bait articles. Your hysteria is not helpful.

• Group, this is a flu bug that can, i repeat can develop into something serious for older people or those with compromised immune systems. My guess is that many more people have had this and did not even know it. 40 MM??? Come on.

• @FunCartel Just to give some data to your dates:
    World Population in 1918: 1.8 billion
    World Population in 2020: 7.8 billion

So 40 million in 2020 is not an overreach percentage-wise compared to what 50 million was in 1918. I'll leave you to do the math.

• edited March 2020

@StoryDoctor1138 Considering that there are several vaccines close to production, it is an overreach. If we were in the technology dark ages like 1918, your math would have validity. Context can be hard for some to grasp and is a monkey wrench that those stuck in basic math fail to quantify because it is too hard.

• @FunCartel "Close to production?" Where are you hearing that? Because all the learned doctors/scientists I have seen quoted have said 12 - 18 MONTHS before a successful vaccine would be found, produced, and made available. So unless there has been a major medical breakthrough in the last few days that somehow has not been splashed across every news outlet covering this, your statement is both misleading and dangerous.

I didn't do the math (which you somehow didn't get despite the comment and the big picture). Based on your comment... seems like you didn't do the math either.

• @FunCartel vaccines takes years to develop . It still needs to undergo human trials , where those test subjects will be observed for several months or years . Also the virus itself will have to be injected to the test subjects . If it does not work it may kill the test subjects . Now who wants to volunteer as test subject?

• @StoryDoctor1138 They had an in-depth look at vaccinations coming up on several news broadcasts on Monday and Tuesday. They are focusing on producing ones for medical staff that will be available in a shorter time period.

Moreover, you seem to get your information from world almanacs and 30 second sound bites. The 40 million is an overreach because the medical community knows what they are dealing with. The medical community in 1918 believed they were close to a vaccine when in fact they were close to finding drugs to combatting bacterial pneumonia because they did not understand until 1930 that influenza is a virus. That is the basis for my statement. You can give me all the simplistic stats you have but I would bet all I possess against everything you have that it will not sniff 40 million. In addition, the 1918 pandemic killed across all age ranges, with the ages of 20 to 40 suffering the most. We do not see this with this virus.

Respect the crisis and the dangers, but spreading unwarranted hypotheticals and panic helps no one.

• edited March 2020

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/4/21154590/coronavirus-vaccine-treatment-covid-19-drug-cure

Inovio is the company that is really almost there and was featured on one of the major news networks Monday night. The scuttlebutt is the FDA will eliminate much of the red tape to at least get something to healthcare workers in an expedited time frame. If you do not like this source there are others. Do your own research instead of guessing how many will die which is just morbid and serves no useful purpose.

So to @StoryDoctor1138 and @alphares Do not call what I am saying dangerous or misleading when the two of you are pushing a 40 million will die figure out there without anything but conjecture and a warped sense to cause panic in people that are already concerned.

• @SoulcuddlerZ
    That video is everything thank you!

• It is now officially a pandemic . It was already a pandemic since January . I want to hear some words from optimists here it ain’t real

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51839944

• @alphares No one said it isn’t real. But your 40 million will die is not real. It is a guess.

• @FunCartel You seem a little triggered. I never said 40 million will die. That was the other guy. I was just pointing out that 40 million now is a drop in the bucket compared to 50 million then, making your analogy like a colander - it doesn't hold water.

I'm sure the FDA will probably (hopefully) reduce red tape delays, but the consensus of "30 second sound bites" all coming from legit news sources (so, your attempt to deflate my info also is water-free) is 12 to 18 months and nothing in the article you linked disputes that claim. You presume that "dozens of Covid-19 vaccine candidates making their way through animal and human trials" means that the release of a vaccine will happen in a "shorter time period" but the very article you quote states "Everyone talks about [having a vaccine] 18 months or a year from now.” Thanks for confirming the time quotes I've heard from quite legitimate sources.

We can hope for the best but telling anyone that a vaccine is almost here is as irresponsible - and yes, misleading - as suggesting it will just go away on its own when the weather warms up.

• In comparing the 1918 pandemic to today, you also have to take into account that people are far more mobile today and hence the possibility of distant transmission is far greater. Fewer people travelled around the world in 1918 and much less often than they do today.

• @StoryDoctor1138 you need to watch more news—they are very optimistic that healthcare workers will be vaccinated in a few months. The general public? Who knows. But we will most certainly have something within 18 months.

We are at 4,300 deaths worldwide. They are declining in China rapidly, so there are things to learn. But to advocate for your buddy’s 40 million deaths is fear mongering. Period.

• @UKGuy I am aware of the differences in travel, but as I pointed out they never really had a vaccine because they were looking for bacterial vaccines rather than viral in 1918. Knowing what you are looking for with better tools puts a vaccine within reach within months and it is the advantage we have now versus what they had to work with in 1918. So while travel may spread it faster, neatly are being cognizant of what they are dealing with will ultimately offset the problems to contend with.

• @FunCartel

But we will most certainly have something within 18 months.

Which is what I've been saying, so thanks for that. A realistic, working vaccine FOR THE PUBLIC is the key point. Without that, the numbers keep rising.

And AGAIN, I'm not "advocating" for 40 million deaths (what a poor and weighted choice of words that was). I was simply pointing out that it's not that far fetched from a percentage standpoint and you supplied the proof by comparing 2020 to 1918.

• edited March 2020

Merged topic 'Corona or Virus' into here. [Mark]

Which makes you sicker?

• @Sideon
    That's a very useful picture, just what I was looking for. It says that if you have a blocked or runny nose, you don't have coronavirus, in spite of your other symptoms.

You should probably still do all the preventative actions, because you don't want to give anyone the cold or flu.

• It is easy to not take this seriously as some others here are doing as they have not yet seen someone suffer from this or have not experience the pain and suffering when you catch this. Some people say it is just like a cold or flu that most people recover from it.

It damages your lungs that you cannot breathe, that is why it requires a ventilator (a machine) and breathing feels like razors are stuck in your lungs. Without hospitalization you will run out of oxygen and drop dead, like being hanged in a gallows. I cannot imagine the suffering of the passengers right now of the Diamond Princess cruise ship. 630 passengers in that cruise ship have this and perhaps the rest 3000 of them already have it. They are not allowed to dock and stuck in Yokohama Japan. A cruise ship is not. a hospital. Probably everyone there is coughing and sleepless.

• @alphares - can you just, like, stop... and do some legitimate research before you post statements like they’re fact. Maybe learning about viruses in general, as well as incubation, contagion, spread, and vaccines would help as well. It’s incredibly hard for me to take anything you seriously, while I imagine you’re driving others into a panic. I think it would be smart if you looked at reputable sources only.

The following is your post yesterday from the “has the cuddling industry slowed due to the virus threat” thread...

• edited March 2020

@saramajara

Not a hoax, not a flu, not a cold. When celebrities starts getting it, we know its just out our door knocking

Tom Hanks & Rita Wilson Test Positive For Coronavirus

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-hits-elvis-presley-film-010350690.html?ncid=facebook_yahoonewsf_akfmevaatca

• Most people who catch it, won't be seriously affected ; we have to decide how bothered we are, about passing it on to someone who is. Vaccination isn't there to protect individuals, it is there to protect society ; although society is now such that we are all interconnected, so being selfish or altruistic, are becoming meaningless concepts.