Corona virus

Comments

• @alphares
    And the plan is to delay and smooth out that number, such that healthcare can cope with those who need it. Coronavirus isn't like a Thanos snap, which hits everyone at once and is instantly fatal to all of them.

A decision is taken each year to leave a significant proportion of society unvaccinated against flu, while enforcing vaccination against other diseases.

• Tom Hanks is unamused by this conversation.

• @alphares Re your post, it will damage your lungs if you have got a compromised immune system and it is a serious case. It will not mean you will have to be on a vent by simply having it.

• [Deleted User]outdoordude28 (deleted user)

@alphares
    We been dying seen the moment we are born! It's the matter how we live life to the fullest!!

• @pmvines @geoff1000

this virus is airborne like dust mites just floating in the air. It is now everywhere. When you Catch it and it goes to your lung it damages the lungs and lymphatic (immune) system. So even if you survive after being rushed to the hospital you will end up not the same as you used to. It is like SARS + HIV + Hepa B according to the doctor in Wuhan who examined the bodies of the deceased and the virus itself.

• you guys need to understand exponential growth and network effect. It starts small with 3% death rate , but keep in mind the number of infections double every 2-3 days. 10 first day, 20 in 2 days, 40 ,4 days.. In 6-9 months this will be in 100 millions , with 3 million deaths.

• I'm participating in what they are calling "social distancing" not because I'm afraid for myself, but because I want to contribute to the containment of the thing so that fewer at risk people (like my parents) die. I've cancelled a few events that involve travel or gathering large groups. My daughter's school is about to send everyone home for spring break to resume classes online rather than at the school. Many other schools are doing the same.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?fbclid=IwAR346_DMOGq0IC3m_T22PKIhEN1xvpHzSYVaKGOKYSeDkuQgrmZ5wB2Am7s#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/10/21171481/coronavirus-us-cases-quarantine-cancellation?fbclid=IwAR2lmjnBzdBbb9tZagP3QJMbHdeWZKnOFurIVB1A3bD3Y6SZFaUALc91B2c

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/607675/?fbclid=IwAR36XbN_c81hFkW72_UGJfg9N_U7V8aPgy9Dmv6TlNrVCERT7JZKiCKBbI8

• That's a good decision @littermate . I'm doing the same.

The UK government has been as slow as the US government with crucial stuff like ensuring there are enough testing kits and giving advice on social distancing.

So it feels like we have to make these decisions ourselves until they catch up.

The strangest thing to me is that there are now clear case studies indicating what works (Chinese, South Korea) and what can happen if governments wait too long before acting (Italy). But the lessons aren't being learned.

• 🤦‍♂️

• If people aren't tested, we have only a vague idea of how many people have had it ; and hence what the recovery rate and long-term effects are.

The relatively low numbers, with the close proximity in which we live ; means either it is quite difficult to catch, or most people who catch it aren't badly affected.

• Thanks @sjb1973.

@geoff1000 or like many are saying, the true cases haven't caught up with the official cases and there's much more going on out there than is officially measured at this point. If you look at China or Italy, you can see what the spread is like. Soon it will be in our countries doing the same thing and precautions are just, well, sensible.

• [Deleted User]cuddles4bliss (deleted user)
    edited March 2020

🙄

• @cuddles4bliss :#
    Did I get that right?

• edited March 2020

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/dont-panic-the-comprehensive-ars-technica-guide-to-the-coronavirus/
    This article is a really good one that just really gets to the facts... what we know, what we don't know...

Panic
    noun [mass noun]
    sudden uncontrollable fear or anxiety, often causing wildly unthinking behaviour:

Panicking... is never a good solution. Heh.

@johnjohn1265gbp - I'm hoping for more of an Ebeneezer Scrooge moment. Gets it, and then though the process of having it, comes to an amazing revilation ;)

• edited March 2020

Can folks who are not worried please at least stay away from people in the high risk categories? I'm in NYC so social distancing is a thing a lot of folks are practicing because there's too much for our neighbors to worry about already in case it is an issue.. but I imagine smaller towns containment wouldn't seem as big of a concern. We don't know a lot, but we know it's an economic hardship already and don't want that to get worse either.

• edited March 2020
    • This is not a conspiracy. It's happening. Don't make it worse. Take off your red/blue/Bernie hats and act as patriots and more importantly, humane beings.
    • The impacts are not being exaggerated for political effect. The data matches previous large outbreaks.
    • We're too late to contain COVID to small areas. It's in every large city now. The numbers are far larger than reported and will spike soon (exponentially).
    • Assume there won't be adequate testing any time soon (other than maybe parts of California). We need to flatten the curve (not have a huge spike that will overwhelm our medical support structure a la Italy). We get through the highest spike in cases and we can beat this as the ramp up to testing and care facilities will finally catch up. That combined with consistent precautions as a nation is what will get us past this.
    • Keep social distance so you don't become a carrier let alone sick. Want to kill Grandma? Going around business as usual (half-assed washing, maintaining close contact with large #s of people, touching your face, visiting grandma) is how you kill grandma. Arrange shopping, support for the elderly and immuno-compromised.
    • If at all possible, learn to work effectively remotely. Dual monitors. Multiple headsets. Quiet location.
    • Don't be that a-hole who toughs out a cold/illness and goes to work. Self-quarantine.
    • Only travel where there aren't large groups (bus, train, plane), even in the U.S.
    • Wash properly (soap and water for 30-45 seconds).
    • Minimize stress, exercise, and eat well. This is a bad time to get sick or injured at all. Break a leg in NY? Your chances of getting infected go way up if you have to go to a hospital.
    • Don't touch your face, especially your eyes.
    • Don't buy masks or supplies actual medical personnel need.

Hugs to all.

P.S. There will be many large sections less populated areas, and many (most) small-to-medium cities where there are no cases or just a few isolated ones. There will also be some smaller towns where it may run through a school, team, city council, etc. This is not a zombie apocalypse. For most, the largest impact will be financial. Lost jobs, reduced opportunities, flattened or negative growth, conservative hiring/expansion, and, yes, eventually finger pointing on an epic scale.

• I'm more likely to die from a donkey attack. I couldn't be less interested in this Budweiser bacteria or whatever it is.

• It's really scary just how many people think this isn't an issue. I hope this doesnt bring dumb America to its knees. Based on the age that it affects, the dumbest population could literally kill off the smartest. The fact that multiple people have been to doctors with symptoms and haven't been tested is mind boggling and down right idiotic. I'm sure there are a LOT more cases than we even know about.

• So quick question because i haven’t had the time to read this thread. I’m assuming people are canceling cuddling for the time being. Especially since, we’ll at least in my state every school is shutting down 3 weeks. Most people working from home (well a lot). But curious what y’all talking about.

• edited March 2020

I heard people on the radio saying they wish Obama could come back to at least fix this "Corona thing". People can't seriously be this stupid? Right???

• @BigGuyGa they are, can’t you tell by the situation we’re in now

• Damn all i wanted was a quick answer.

• Who is nervous about cuddling due to the virus? Personally, I am not, but has anyone experienced a decline in clients due to this outbreak?

• Id be concerned meeting anyone Im not familiar with. Not so much about me getting sick, more about who I can contaminate and maybe endanger.

• There is ongoing testing to detect those who have it, and hence risk giving it to others. That is only a snapshot, because one could catch it the day after.

The next useful test will surely be to identify those who have had it, and recovered, and hence have "self-vaccinnated". Unless the virus mutates, those people are long-term immune, and not able to pass it on ; so can safely be around those who are infected, and / or those who are at risk.

A manufactured vaccine will take time, and be in short supply ; and anyone who has recovered, won't need it.

The short-term self-isolation / quarantine is used when people might have been exposed, but that would have to be repeated each time. If there was a way to know they had self-recovered, rather than avoided, they wouldn't have to do it again.

• [Deleted User]SoulcuddlerZ (deleted user)

Things That Won't Cure COVID-19 If Put In The Body - well, this should be obvious.