Corona virus

Comments

• edited March 2020

deleted

• You gotta use that lump of matter in your head called your brain and research the credibility of the source.

• edited March 2020

deleted

• Me trolling? You started the argument. I'm a little busy working right now. All I said is that people in the medical field knows a lot more facts about the situation than some guy on TV.

• edited March 2020

• edited March 2020

deleted

• There's some great web sites and stuff that can help convince the disbelievers. Here's a couple:

Nice cartoon explanation of a pandemic and why social distancing is a good idea

My fav (i like graphs) - you can see who's doing a good job flattening the curve and who isn't:
    https://www.visualcapitalist.com/infection-trajectory-flattening-the-covid19-curve/?fbclid=IwAR2UcNM4-j8sBeh_wH2v_qSUcZdm9PpzmRg78roIyoiWXel1Z6sO73GHHxQ

• Social distancing has a parallel with fire-breaks in a forest.

Social connection is like enriching Uranium or making a pile of firewood. If the concentration is high enough, all of the material is affected.

The key is to keep the transmission rate down, while a vaccine is developed, so we can save the percentage of people for whom a dose would be life-changing, or even life-ending.

I'm still keen that we determine if a recovered person is then immune, and cannot transmit ; and if so, find a test. If I could be sure that if I recovered, I would then be able to safely reintegrate into the society that is fighting the virus ( rather than having to also try to avoid it ), I think I would volunteer. Think of all the people 105 years ago who volunteered to stand in a trench.

At the moment, we can't easily test everyone that we think might have it, and there's no certainty that recovery is permanent.

• Good to see North Korea is still testing missiles. Best to try and keep things as normal as possible.

• edited March 2020

“It first struck me how different it was when I saw my first coronavirus patient go bad. I was like, Holy shit, this is not the flu. Watching this relatively young guy, gasping for air, pink frothy secretions coming out of his tube.”
    https://www.propublica.org/article/a-medical-worker-describes--terrifying-lung-failure-from-covid19-even-in-his-young-patients?fbclid=IwAR2XTK30dm80_0ApwIoloQ3gkagqZMlPckJ2T1QK6qBTHClGBSkPGQ5peNI

• @alphares
    I guess it is like all major events, we each have a moment when we realise "this is serious". For the Falklands War it was HMS Sheffield being hit.

I'm told the UK loses on average about 1500 people a day, so as the numbers climb ( about 50 a day, rising by about 5 a day ), it will become a significant percentage.

• I wonder if we will end up with more people shot over toilet paper or any other number of desperate acts that all of this forced economic pressure will produce than the small number of covid 19 deaths that we would have had otherwise. Washington cant just print money and make it all better. This is the biggest bunch of bs I have ever seen. IMHO
    People die every second from innumerable ways. With almost eight billion people on this panic driven rock do you think this wont happen again soon? Are we not seeing this happen in higher frequency as the population increases? Are we going to shut down the globe every time it does? We are throwing the baby out with the corona virus. I wonder if it will be worth the cost and if the virus matches the hype.

• I'm not sure I understand why some people decide that reporting the extent of the outbreak and the preventative measures being taken is "hype."

• I think there is a strong parallel with contamination from nuclear power. Every other way of making power also causes contamination, but the contamination from nuclear power is so easily identified, that people ask why not enough is done about it.

Imagine if governments around the world did nothing, just let the virus sweep around the world killing off the old and sick as they did in ancient times. All those who are now complaining about the draconian measures which are affecting their lifestyle, would instead be asking why those governments did nothing. "Their blood is on your hands" etc. Imagine if they tried to conceal it, and were found out later. I think many current governments could go, because people decide their response was wrong ; whether it was too much, or too little.

Every death attributed to the virus so far, gives no indication of how well that person would have survived without it, though the data presumably excludes trauma deaths such as car crashes where the virus clearly did not contribute. The fatality rate is also reported too high, because we mostly test only those who are already very sick.

However, if the virus mutates, as flu does, so natural recovery does not give immunity ; it will be sitting around ready to pounce on any of us, when we get old or sick.

We know enough to know we need to treat it seriously, but not yet enough to know how to fight it. It is very much like during human-human wars, where people feared the next bombing raid could be on them, and they could do nothing about it. I'm not quite old enough to remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, but then, as now, those in charge have a short window of time to stave off a new disaster. And yes, while they do that, millions of people around the world are still busy dying of other things. Governments have to keep their eyes on lots of balls.

People are also dying from lifestyle choices, and yet those people assert their right to do that, while draining the resources of the nation to look after them. I can't help to find a cure, and I can only do so much to help limit the spread ; but what we can all do, right now, are all the things which relieve our governments of the effort of looking after us in other ways. It is also in our own interest to do so, because as the virus overloads those support systems, we won't be able to rely on them.

David Attenborough recently said that a simple way to reduce our environmental impact, is to not waste. Similarly, a simple way to reduce the effect of coronavirus on the world, is to reduce a little, the burdens we put on our states.

• Im sure the soldiers who ran across the beaches of France abandoning their fear to face a rain of unending machine gun fire and going though their dead friends in the sand and a sea turned red from their blood to secure the freedom from authoritarian govt would be proud to know that their sacrifice of 50 million lives to win ww2 led us to a population and govt who yesterday sent police to run me and my friend off a tennis court under threat of jail because our country no longer can muster the courage to face thousands of deaths from a bad flu bug.

• @snuggleme123
    It isn't the deaths from the virus they fear, it's the behaviour of the remaining citizens when thousands and then millions of people are dying from it. The army would then be called in, we'd have marshal law, and suspects would be shot on the spot.

The rights we each have, must be tempered by the equivalent rights of others. The right to free speech does not extend to the right to contact Adolf Hitler on June 5th 1944 to say there will be an invasion at Normandy in the morning.

I went out today, for a run, keeping away from everyone else.

If you and your friends want to be together, stay away from everyone else. At 45, you are at low personal risk, but you are risking those in their 80s +. Maybe you don't care about their Right to Life, which I believe "trumps" your Right of Assembly.

• CDC web site
    CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season

Nearly 40,000 People Died From Guns in U.S. Last Year ...
    https://www.nytimes.com › 2018/12/18 › us › gun-deaths
    Dec 18, 2018

Eighteen percent of pregnancies (excluding miscarriages) in 2017 ended in abortion. Approximately 862,320 abortions were performed in 2017, down 7% from 926,190 in 2014. The abortion rate in 2017 was 13.5 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44, down 8% from 14.6 per 1,000 in 2014.Sep 1, 2019

In 2019, an estimated 606,880 people will die of cancer in the United States. Lung and bronchus cancer is responsible for the most deaths with 142,670 people expected to die from this disease. That is nearly three times the 51,020 deaths due to colorectal cancer, which is the second most common cause of cancer death.

Overview. In 2018, the estimated number of murders in the nation was 16,214. This was a 6.2 percent decrease from the 2017 estimate, a 14.5 percent increase from the 2014 figure, and a 5.3 percent increase from the number in 2009.

According to the United Nations World Population Prospects report, approximately 7,452 people die every day in the United States. In other words, a person dies in the US approximately every 12 seconds.Mar 5, 2018

Many die every year and we dont shut it all down, I guess they dont matter. No hype for them.

• edited March 2020

@snuggleme123 it's not a matter of having courage to face your enemies. A virus gives zero fox about you or your bravery . Stop trying to view this thing as a challenge against tyranny. Go lick a toilet if you want to prove you are a badass and not afraid of a virus . Don't play with the heath of other people . Nobody cares , especially the virus. You remind me of that idiot basketball player who mockingly rubbed his hands on all the mics and then tested positive. I could care less about his idiot self being sick . But his idiocy very likely exposed unneeded people to it .

• @pmvines I hate to tell you, cuz I know you valiantly war against it, but everyone will die. Shutting down life will not stop death. Keep giving up liberty to washington, they will gladly take it. Man kind has had many bugs that have come punched us in the face and are gone and we are still here. This is a virus that 98% of people will survive. Whether I lick a toilet or cower on the toilet. I have never said ignore or dont take precautions but all of this is asinine. Me playing a tennis game is not putting me anyone in risk anymore than cops running around encountering everyone and exposing others. We have gone unimaginably overboard with hype and fear driven stupidity.

• @snuggleme123 Wow, that's an awful lot of maudlin observation and over-simplification and illogical conclusions just because you're miffed that you weren't allowed to play a game of tennis during a health crisis. First World Problems.

• I think we are up to 13,000 deaths worldwide, and increasing at a roughly linear rate.

Chief Brody closed the Amity Island beaches ( in the movie ) because there was a new threat which needed a new response.

Lung cancer could be significantly reduced by prohibiting cigarettes, but Al Capone can tell you people won't like that.
    Flu deaths could be reduced by enforced vaccination.

I think the issue here is that the affected minority, are relying on the largely-unaffected minority, to not pass it on.

• edited March 2020

My question and bafflement @geoff1000 is why are thees deaths all of a sudden so unacceptable? The country purrs on with people killing people, cancer killing people, flu killing 35000 people, cars killing people, drugs killing people, spiders, snakes, bears killing people, oceans killing people, mountains killing people, I can go on and on.

No one has given any valid reason why covid 19 victims are worth more than all other victims of death. This is media driven fear and hype. It is real and a serious virus but not worth the overreaction. Life would have gone on no matter what the curve did.

Call me heartless, but I dont take lightly just throwing our freedom and liberty into the hands of govt lightly no matter how many people may die from this.

• @snuggleme123
    At the moment, there are 14,444 deaths worldwide. Should we react at 144,000 or 1.44 million or 14 million or 144 million or 1.44 billion ?

The current rate of increase, with all these "draconian" interventions, is 10x bigger each month. That cannot of course continue, because any Ponzi Scheme runs out of people. I don't know how many you are happy to sacrifice.

• Why are those lives worth more than the others that die? Simple question

• Also I am not in control of life or death so I sacrifice no one, but nice try. :)

• You are in control of preventative measures taken to ensure something does not get passed on from you to another . Part of that means responsibility for not contacting something that is easily spread yourself through easily preventable means

• The seasonal flu is more deadly than the Coronavirus:

The mortality rate of confirmed flu cases is 1.94% (through week 10 of CDC data).
    The current US confirmed mortality rate of Coronavirus is 1.29%

This video talks about comparing apples to apples (confirmed tests to confirmed tests):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=195&v=ohO8eAwi_po&feature=emb_logo

Here is the CDC data (if you're nerdy like me):

Positive flu tests (clinical labs)
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2019-2020/data/whoAllregt_cl11.html

Positive flu tests (public health labs)
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2019-2020/data/whoAllregt_phl11.html

Download the mortality chart data
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/#S6

• wow this guy (snuggleme123) takes the cake... he would rather play tennis than protect fellow citizens by staying home during this crisis. amazing selfishness.

• Also to counter your argument to absurdity. It is widely reported that the recovery rate is 98%. With That, even if all 8 billion people get it, the total deaths would be 160 million. If you more than double the death rate to 5% it is 400 million deaths, assuming 8 billion infected. So again, logically your death totals just wont happen. The Indonesia tsunami in 2004 killed about 250 million people. Large scale death happens.

Again, why are these people special?