Corona virus

Comments

• Eating large quantities of garlic might be helpful, because it would keep most people at least 2 metres away.

I heard some good advice for on the subway ; if someone is too close, start a conversation, and they are sure to move away.

• I know people are working on a vaccine, and there is a test for if people have the disease ; but is anyone working on a test to detect that someone has recovered and hence "self-vaccinated" ? They can still infect others by not washing properly after touching contaminated surfaces, but not by just being near them.

The UK approach seems to be to gain "herd immunity" by exposure and recovery, while isolating those who are less likely to recover. In the absence of a vaccine, that's the only way to make people immune ; and the test for that event, must be easier than clinical trials of a vaccine.

A thread was closed on the idea of someone deliberately getting it and recovering ; but it is UK policy, even though I don't know of any other countries planning the same. My parents tell me of children being exposed to chickenpox in this way, because there wasn't any other method of stopping them getting it first when they are adults.

• [Deleted User]MeAndWe (deleted user)

The news media or an article hasn't mentioned what caused it. 🤷

• [Deleted User]Bles (deleted user)
    edited March 2020

This too shall pass! With ongoing research, deeper understanding of the cellular mechanisms of this virus and it's modalities of transmission, there will be better appreciation of how to manage and contain it. How to best protect with prevention and precaution. How to live and breathe in it's midst. It takes time. It takes patience and an abundance of standard precautions.

I work in a high risk environment that puts me at the front and center of dealing with the immediate impact of this virus. I am not afraid. I keep myself duly informed like every one else.

And I wash my hands as often as I need to. I keep myself physically active and hydrated. I stay away from crowded places. And I keep my connections with loved ones going. I laugh and smile and keep the lymphs moving in my interstitial tissues.

And I embrace each new day with a yawn and a smile.

• How is this affecting business for professional cuddlers? Are you still cuddling? How do you protect yourself or your clients?

• @Amyhugs - Probably best posted in the Professional's forum

• [Deleted User]Honeyluv (deleted user)

I stopped cuddling because of the outbreak and couldn't live with myself if I put anyone in harm's way.

• I thought I'd share this video that explains how quickly this virus is spreading. It is spreading more rapidly than the flu and we're on the verge of overloading our healthcare system. It will be a good idea to practice social distancing even if you believe you will survive the virus, you may spread it to others who may be more vulnerable.

• @Honeyluv Yes, I agree, me too. I stopped accepting cuddling appointments. We all have to be responsible for our own actions to make ourselves & those around us safe. Our health, safety & well-being comes first. Our health care system is not equipped with enough hospital beds & ventilators to handle a large mass of people needing to be hospitalized. We don't want the death tolls in China and Italy happening here.

• Yeah there was an infected guy in Japan that knew he had Covid-19 and WANTED to infect as many people as possible, but was caught by police. He died yesterday with charges pending against him. I guess the death penalty really isn’t a deterrent.

• sorry for scaring you guys. I got locked up by the mods. But its for awareness not to scare.

• If you are truly sorry than just don't do anymore please

• If the transmission rate is 1.3x like they say, then put 1.3 in your calculator and raise it to the power of how many days since the virus went into circulation. 15 days, 51 people are infected. 30 days, 2619 people. 60 days, 6,864,377 people. It's exponential growth and it's how virus outbreaks work and it's pretty scary.

• The transmission rate will surely reduce as local areas become saturated. If you are the only one in a self-isolating household, that doesn't yet have it, you can't give it to anyone.

The UK has stepped up its response, closing schools, cinemas, sporting events etc. That should upset Mr Covid and his travel plans.

• The main problem is trying to spread awareness to others who think it's not a big deal. Even if you believe you will fight off the virus, you will still be a carrier and spread it to others who may not be as lucky.

• According to the CDC, 38% of US patients who got hospitalized for coronavirus, are aged 20 - 54. Everyone has a chance of catching it, if not listening to their warning.

• [Deleted User]MeAndWe (deleted user)

Be prepared for power outage

• It's a virus, not a hurricane. Why would the utilities go out?

• @MemberofLDS Didnt you just a couple of days ago refer to the virus as a hoax?

• The problem may come when too many key workers are unavailable.

• edited March 2020

deleted

• I do not listen to tv 24/7 because depending on what station you listen to you can become too complacent towards it or too paranoid or despondent. None of these are good options. I just get my information through phone notifications and maybe a half hour of tv. That is more than enough to understand the severity of the situation day-to-day.

• edited March 2020

deleted

• Not always. A couple weeks ago, Donald Trump said that COVID-19 is a hoax.

• edited March 2020

deleted

• You have to listen to the facts from actual medical experts. The media will say anything that increases their ratings.

• edited March 2020

deleted

• sigh This isn't rocket science. At this point, I think you're just trolling.

• edited March 2020

deleted

• There are medical professionals who discuss topics on various sites such as YouTube. Manu YouTube channels are extremely biased, but not when you're hearing from someone who works in the medical industry. TV news outlits just has journalists who want to increase their viewership.